Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Registered User Veetack's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    170
    Images
    58

    Thumbs up A simple thank you

    This site has caused me to obsess over pack weight, to the point that I will pack, repack, remove, replace, or redistribute gear for hours on end several times a week. I finally got to weigh my pack last night and it was 21 pounds with food! I have a few things left to replace that will reduce my weight even more. The advice I've received here has been priceless in every facet and quite entertaining. I just want to thank everyone, so this is my way.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,412
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    cool................
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    I'm sure some folks here would like to see that 21 lb pack list of yours.........

  4. #4

    Default

    Feels good right? So much nicer without a big burden holding you back.

  5. #5
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Don't get so obsessed by it and all the advice. You will figure out what you need that works for you. My average weight is 30 and I'm fine with it.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  6. #6

    Default

    I would suggest that this condition you have was inherent before you came to White Blaze,as I have it too,and yes it is a perfect tribute to the new way of thinking that I have learned as well.very nice.

  7. #7

    Default

    i think it's funny that every thread on here about going lighter is automatically injected with someone carrying more and being "fine". People on here seem to be afraid of change and afraid to accept that there is a better way than what they are doing. Lighter makes hiking more comfortable and when you are hiking like 60% of the time, sleeping 30% and eating 10% you have to look at what is actually necessary.

    Even I am like that a little bit. it costs me 1lb to carry my filter instead of Aquamira. in the Whites or on the LT i may change my thinking and switch. i just have to make that jump.

    with the technology out there going lighter will almost never be unsafe or uncomfortable. no reason to carry a pack more than 2lb, tent more than 3lb, sleeping bag more than 2-3lb(cept in dead of winter even then you could get close)

    (i don't know why this won't start at the beginning.. just rewind to 0:00) If it can work for someone on a 6 month trip, off trail in alaska.. it can sure work for someone on a 3 day weekend trip anywhere down here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQTcQhL08A

  8. #8
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,635
    Images
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I'm sure some folks here would like to see that 21 lb pack list of yours.........
    yes... inquiring minds want to know!!
    aka Papa Bear! NOBO section hiker, 1023.4 miles... & counting!!

  9. #9
    Registered User oldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-29-2007
    Location
    West Coast of FL
    Age
    63
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Truth be known I find all of these convos about packweight to be way too obsessive and way too conformist for my blood and for a sport that once took pride in being a place where nonconformists could feel at home .
    On my NOBO 2013 hike I'm going carry what I think I need and what makes me happy and if the High Priests and Priestesses of the Go Light Go Right Religion see my Kelty Tioga, figure out that loaded it exceeds the holy number of 19.77 lbs and label me as an heretic that must be stoned then the only mercy that I will ask for is naturally grown weed that doesn't give a sore throat or leaves me nonfunctional

  10. #10
    Registered User Veetack's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    170
    Images
    58

    Default A simple thank you

    I'll post a gear list when I get home. I'm working in the ER tonight and we're a bit busy.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    I'll post a gear list when I get home. I'm working in the ER tonight and we're a bit busy.
    And when you do, if you would, factor in a cost associated with ALL of it - ballpark figure is fine.
    Congrats on getting down to 21 lbs.!

    Jake, what you said is true, yet you left out one amazingly difficult factor for many people here: cost.

    Many can't or won't (me included there) get the greatest sleeping bag for $600 when one twice as heavy works for $100.
    Last edited by Winds; 05-17-2012 at 05:04.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-24-2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, Michigan
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    Truth be known I find all of these convos about packweight to be way too obsessive and way too conformist for my blood and for a sport that once took pride in being a place where nonconformists could feel at home .
    On my NOBO 2013 hike I'm going carry what I think I need and what makes me happy and if the High Priests and Priestesses of the Go Light Go Right Religion see my Kelty Tioga, figure out that loaded it exceeds the holy number of 19.77 lbs and label me as an heretic that must be stoned then the only mercy that I will ask for is naturally grown weed that doesn't give a sore throat or leaves me nonfunctional
    Ahahaha, Cheers!

  13. #13
    Registered User Veetack's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    170
    Images
    58

    Default

    Ok, I'm doing this from memory, so weights, brands and such are gonna be iffy:
    IN THE PACK
    High Sierra Summit 45 - 4.5 pounds or so and around $150 (I'm replacing this next with the GoLite Quest 50)
    Gander Mtn Backpacking tent - ~3 pounds and $80 (discontinued)
    Eureka 30 degree sleeping bag ~2.5 pounds ~$150-175 if I remember correctly
    Thermarest prolite regular ~1-1.5 pounds and I don't remotely remember price
    First aid kit ~ .5 pounds and $20 (want to increase this to a medic pack so I can use my medical training should I come across an ailing hiker on the trail)
    Sea to Summit sil-nylon drybags x2 ~ .2 pounds $20 each (one for clothes, one for food)
    platypus 3L hydration bladder ~.2 pounds $30-35
    Camelbak 1L bottle ~ It was issued to me by the archaeology company I worked for, no idea on cost ~.4 pounds
    1 roll Tennessee orange electrical tape ~.2 pounds $.75 (I like to use this to wrap my toes to avoid hotspots, done it for years
    1 roll TP
    2012 AT Thru-hiker's companion
    3 pair Wigwam Rebel Fusion no show socks ~really light $12/pr
    Patagonia capilene 2 lightweight thermals ~$45 per top/bottom
    Gander Mtn polyester half zip fleece ~$40 ~1 pound
    North Face rain jacket~ 1-1.5 pounds ~$100
    1 pair Marine Corps issue "silky" PT shorts $18
    GSI soloist cookware ~1 pound $42
    SuperKat stove ~weightless $.60
    20oz Mtn Dew Bottle filled with Heet for fuel ~1 pound $4
    Ziploc 1qt freezerbags x~10 for all kinds of things
    Bic Lighter $1
    various food products including knorr sides, clif bars, general mills cereal bars, GORP, Jack Links beef jerky, Spam, Tuna, and Chicken
    Energizer headlamp ~.5 pounds $15
    Crocs (camp shoes) .5 pounds $30

    ON MY PERSON

    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail runners $130
    Wigwam REbel Fusion no show socks $12
    Columbia Silver Ridge II convertible pants $55
    1 pair Marine Corps issue "Silky" PT shorts $18
    Mountain Hardware trail shirt $30
    1 well worn (not to mention proudly) University of Tennessee hat FREE
    iPhone 4S
    Wallet
    1 pack cigs
    1 bic lighter

    Forgive me if my weights or prices are off, I just got off a 12 hour shift on a night when everyone in town decided to have a car accident. I've used virtually everything I have in the field on multiple day trips and they've worked like a charm. After trail days I will be adding REI trekking poles (they're in the mail) and changing to the GoLite pack which should drop my weight. I did not weigh each piece individually, rather my method was to weigh myself on a standard bathroom scale sans pack, then put my pack on and do the same and take the difference. I weighed in at 160, and with pack weighed 181, making 21 pounds. Add 4 pounds for the 2 liters of water I intend to carry at a time (I carry the empty camelbak bottle for gatorade at night, electrolytes are important) and my carry weight is 25 pounds, which I'm pretty happy with. This gear list is for mild-warm weather hiking and is what I'm comfortable with (I did 3 combat tours, I can tolerate pretty bad conditions).

    Besides the pack, I've been considering changing to a 40 degree bag, and dropping the tent for a hammock. I'm reserved on the hammock because I broke my back in 5 places 8 years ago and I'm not sure my back can tolerate that position for that long. There's definitely still room for improvement, and I'm sure I left some things out that some find essential, but I'm happy with what I have and have done several shakedowns and test drives getting everything just right.

    And yes, I could lose the cigs and it'd help, I'm working on it, it's just a hard thing to break. (I'm still in pretty good shape, I used to be a competiton runner)

  14. #14
    Registered User Veetack's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    170
    Images
    58

    Default

    Oh.... really important thing I forgot to mention:

    I use Aqua Mira, I don't think it changes the taste of the water and it's much smaller and lighter than a pump. Not to mention cheaper. I'm ballin' on a budget.

  15. #15
    Registered User Capt Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-01-2012
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Age
    61
    Posts
    412

    Default

    Mr. Veetack, You are a gentleman and I hope that I meet you out there sometime. As far as the Hiking vs Camping thing, I find that I can only walk 8 to 10 hours a day depending on terrain. That leaves 14 to 16 hours of camping. I want to enjoy both.

  16. #16

    Default

    I love being in a shelter when the temp falls waaay below UL sleeping bag ratings (often they only carry liners) and then you get to watch them putting on their frozen clothing. Weight balance is rarely discussed online, possibly I suspect because cyberhikers rarely toke their noses out unless conditions match their UL gear.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-27-2012
    Location
    Atlanta Ga
    Age
    46
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    This site has caused me to obsess over pack weight, to the point that I will pack, repack, remove, replace, or redistribute gear for hours on end several times a week. I finally got to weigh my pack last night and it was 21 pounds with food! I have a few things left to replace that will reduce my weight even more. The advice I've received here has been priceless in every facet and quite entertaining. I just want to thank everyone, so this is my way.
    Funny I was thinking the same thing the other day, this place has not on saved me 10-15 lbs, but also $100's if not $1,000's in wrong gear choices.

  18. #18
    Registered User Veetack's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    170
    Images
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATMountainTime View Post
    Funny I was thinking the same thing the other day, this place has not on saved me 10-15 lbs, but also $100's if not $1,000's in wrong gear choices.
    I didn't even think about money I've saved. But if you look at the prices of my stuff, I really don't think I've gone overboard in the wallet either. This site and the unbelievable luxury of an outfitter that honestly is more concerned about getting me the right equipment, not the most expensive, has really helped me in that aspect to the point that I haven't even felt the effects of equipment purchases come payday.

  19. #19
    Registered User Moose2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-24-2002
    Location
    Utah - But my heart's still in Vermont!
    Age
    64
    Posts
    901
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    i think it's funny that every thread on here about going lighter is automatically injected with someone carrying more and being "fine". People on here seem to be afraid of change and afraid to accept that there is a better way than what they are doing. Lighter makes hiking more comfortable and when you are hiking like 60% of the time, sleeping 30% and eating 10% you have to look at what is actually necessary.
    I think it's funny that every thread on here about going lighter is injected by some UL convert who wants to tell me what works for me and how stupid I am for carrying what I want to. Why do you care what I carry? What is it that makes you think you have the right to tell me I'm stupid because I carry 2, 5, 7, or even 10 more pounds than you do? You have no idea what my comfort level is, what I need, what works for me or what makes me happy. Advice on how to cut down your pack weight is great and appropriate. Telling others how to hike is not appropriate.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I love being in a shelter when the temp falls waaay below UL sleeping bag ratings (often they only carry liners) and then you get to watch them putting on their frozen clothing. Weight balance is rarely discussed online, possibly I suspect because cyberhikers rarely toke their noses out unless conditions match their UL gear.
    I recommend Skurka's recent gear guide book (I wrote a review recently on the media forum). He describes "stupid light" as people who cut weight just for the sake of cutting weight (and as a result are under-prepared for condition). Instead he makes all his gear choices based on the objectives of the hike, as well as his own needs and abilities. Being UL may be the result, but NEVER the objective. His kit is impressively light, but appropriate for the conditions. Your kit should be different because you have different goals, needs, and abilities, but equally appropriate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •