WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best route up and down Katahdin.

I know I want to take the AT down, but I don't see the point in hiking it up and down. What is the best way to do it?
    "Teufel Hunden"

I guess the ABOL trail to baxter peak, then down the AT?
    "Teufel Hunden"

The best way w/ a full pack on is Hamlin Ridge up and AT down
    From the AT side of the Mtn Abol Slide up and AT down.
    I know that you're gonna get somebody suggesting Helon Taylor to Knife Edge to Baxter Peak up and AT down
    But until you've actually seen Knife Edge in person it's very unwise to commit to doing it

I agree that the knife edge is spectacular and a great way to go IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED and the weather is right.
    If not, I'd go to Chimney pond and head up the trail from the cabin.
    But, you need a ride to the trailhead and it is not an easy hitch.

The reason many do the AT up and down is that it is easy to get to and you can leave some of your packs contents at the bottom so you aren't carrying a full load.
    Have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

SOBO......Best to leave your full pack with Bestsy (the new Katahdin Stream ranger) and grab one of her daypacks (you should have made reservations at KS for the night). Get a short ride over to Abol campground (not to be confused with Abol Bridge-which is outside the Park) and climb the Abol Slide, which connects into the AT (aka Hunt trail) at Thoreau Spring. Now follow the white blazes to Baxter Peak and after your ceromonial pictures, walk out a short ways onto the Knife Edge trail, which begins at Baxter Peak. Retrace your footsteps to Thoreau Spring and then continue to follow the white blazes down to Katahdin Stream where your pack is safely waiting. This route will save you 1.6 miles of hiking (which is mostly climbing) versus an out and back along the Hunt trail. Very dramatic and a great way to see the mountain from two different trails. It won't get any easier than this no matter what other trails you take up and down.

Sort of like asking a mother who their favorite child is.

There are no bad trails up Kathadin, there is one that isnt recomended for going down

The Abol Hunt (AT ) combination is the standard route least hassle. Either direction works although some like going up Abol as opposed to going down.

The following all require hitching or having you meet someone at Roaring Brook

Knifes Edge, Helon Taylor This route has maximum exposure, incredible on a good calm day, dangerous in bad weather. I have backpacked across the knifes edge twice, there is only one spot where the pack is in the way and you can either hand it down to someone or drop it down with a rope.

Hamlin Ridge, Chimney Pond trail. Also very spectacular as it runs between two major glacial cirques (you really dont see the one of them from any of the other trails

Saddle, than Chimney Pond Trail is the Bad weather route and arguably the "easiest" way off the mountain

Cathedral Trail to Chimney Pond is not recomended for going down, its spectacular going up but it easy to get sliding in spots and the potential exisitng for kicking stones loose.

Knifes Edge to Dudley to Chimney Pond trail- In my opinion Dudley is not a great one to go down, your knees will be throbing and the bottom of your pants may be worn out. The majority of the trail is boulder hopping. If you liked the boulders on Hunt Trail, then you will love Dudley.

The last one needs an extra day - Northwest Basin trail to Russel Pond, then out Wassataquoik Trail to Perimeter road and hitch back to KSC. This is only for folks who are trying to stretch out the hike one more day. The area is wilder than probably any other spot on the AT north of the smokies. If you think the 100 miles wilderness is "wild" in spots, this blows the doors off it. You would need to book a spot at Russel Pond for one night. Or if you are really lucky book Davis Pond Shelter.

By the way, Baxter has upgraded the maps availlable on the website, great for planning

I first stepped on the AT when I was 16, the location -- Katahdin.

I started from Roaring Springs CG, headed up the Helon Taylor trail, crossed Knife Edge and stood atop Baxter Peak. Came down Hunt trail (AT). I don't know if that's the best way, but it's much better, imo, than going up and down Hunt trail; also it was a great start to a SOBO thru-hike of the state of Maine.

++ New Posts ++