WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Linden, Va to Harpers Ferry

We are looking to go from the Linden Va area and hike to Harpers Ferry along with my 10 and 13 year old in June. We still don't have a map as of yet and was curious how far of a hike that is? Also, can you tell me how the terrain is being that we would like to get an idea of how long this should take. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Images

Default re: Linden, Va to Harpers Ferry

According to the A.T. Distance Calculator its about 45 miles.

You'll find an online interactive Appalachian Trail map showing the trail, shelters, and parking areas on the ATC website.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Best to get the maps for your personal info also.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I met a guy named Sherpin at Dick's Dome (5 miles from Linden) when I hiked there in April 2011. He started in Harper's Ferry, and was spending the night at Dick's Dome. I believe he told me that was his 3rd or 4th night on the trail. He had a pretty good pace, so maybe add a day to that? That is all a guess, but hopefully it helps.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the help. I'll get a map soon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I met a guy named Sherpin at Dick's Dome (5 miles from Linden) when I hiked there in April 2011. He started in Harper's Ferry, and was spending the night at Dick's Dome. I believe he told me that was his 3rd or 4th night on the trail. He had a pretty good pace, so maybe add a day to that? That is all a guess, but hopefully it helps.

not to cast dispersions at sherpin, but dick's dome is right about exactly 40 miles from harper's ferry. 2 days is a good pace. 3 is taking your time but not dilly dallying. 4 or more is ridiculous.

linden to HF is going to vary between super hard (for the mid atlantic that is) for 14 miles or so, to super easy for the last 18 or so into HF.

Journal Entries

That makes me super stoked! Thanks a lot for the replies. We hope to start June 13th.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moving to the "General" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I actually just did HF to Linden the other weekend (Friday afternoon - Sunday evening) and do it fairly often from both directions since I live about midway between both endpoints. While you can do it with a single overnight, I'd give yourself at least 2 nights or 3-4 days if you'd like to enjoy the sights. I think you're going to enjoy the experience of going Linden->HF as there will be a lot more to see and do when you finish. Have fun!

Scree- Can you post your itenerary? Im planning on doing this hike in the very near future and am curious how you split the trip?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Scree- Can you post your itenerary? Im planning on doing this hike in the very near future and am curious how you split the trip?

Thanks.
    This is how I do it HF-Linden if I have Friday afternoon through Sunday evening free - It's very aggressive, but when I'm out for a weekend I don't need to worry as much about conserving for Monday morning and pack very light. Beware any and all water near the road crossings - there will be livestock nearby.

Day Start StartMM Destination DestMM Distance
    1 HF 1027 David Lesser 1017 10
    2 David Lesser 1017 Rod Hollow 996 21
    3 Rod Hollow 996 Linden 981 15

If you have more time add an overnight near Sam Moore and/or Dick's Dome.

Is the 21 mile day very rough because of the "roller coaster"? I have heard mixed reviews....

Thanks again

Is the 21 mile day very rough because of the "roller coaster"? I have heard mixed reviews....

Thanks again
    Yes, the Roller Coaster isn't all its cracked up to be, but I would recommend breaking that day into 2 if you have the time. I do 12-14 hours per day in the summer and swear I have lizard blood --- the hotter it gets, the more I can roll. I'd work in an extra day, perhaps stopping at Sam Moore (mid coaster) instead of Rod Hollow. Once you cross Ashby Gap it's pretty easy, steady climb with a few big descents until you get your last big climb to Linden.

Much appreciated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    Yes, the Roller Coaster isn't all its cracked up to be,
    its not NH or ME by any stretch, but if theres a harder 13 miles between waynesboro and glencilff i havent found it yet.

MAYBE something in the west of the hudson part of NY.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    its not NH or ME by any stretch, but if theres a harder 13 miles between waynesboro and glencilff i havent found it yet.

MAYBE something in the west of the hudson part of NY.
    Agreed, and I don't mean to downplay it too much. I just don't want people to feel discouraged or fearful, because ultimately it will go by pretty quick. For a first time, use my plan as a base if you want, but break Day 2 and part of Day 3 into additional days. Personally I think it'd be easier to go from Linden-HF if you're not in top condition.

I plan on going from Linden to HF and I do plan on breaking day 2 up. I will keep you posted after the trip. I should be doing it in the next month or so when I can get a good Friday to take most of the day off.

I plan on going from Linden to HF and I do plan on breaking day 2 up. I will keep you posted after the trip. I should be doing it in the next month or so when I can get a good Friday to take most of the day off.
    Cool, in that case take a break at Manassas Gap and sleep at Dick's Dome or in the hunter's campsite/spring about 1 mile further North. Once you've hit there, you aren't supposed to camp again (Sky Meadows State Park rules) until you're past Ashby Gap. Unfortunately this means you either do around 8 miles day 1 and sleep near Dick's, stealth camp in Sky Meadows, or push on another 9 miles to Rod Hollow. On day 2, once you've hit Rod Hollow the rest is pretty straight forward - Roller Coaster and then a fairly easy time afterwards. Have fun!

Scree- Have you ever stayed at the campsites in this section? I am showing on my map there are campsites 4 miles past Rod Hollow and Just Past Raven Rocks 4 miles past Bearns Den. Thanks

Also, Any idea on parking a car at the Keys Gaop (WV9) road crossing? Due to timing , I will likley only be going this far this trip. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++