WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Pros and Cons of speed hiking?

Hi, I am very very new to speed hiking, and to the AT. I am short on time, which is the No.1 reason I am considering a fast hike. I have done a few triathlons and marathons, so I hope I will be capable of doing it with a fast speed. My question is: if you finish it in such a fast speed, wouldn't you miss a lot of scenery and nice people? I am debating whether I should do it with a fast speed or wait out till I have a longer vacation, let's say 6 months? You advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Images

The con of a fast hike is that experience, logisitics and time management are much bigger factors than physical fitness.

Physical fitness is a much bigger factor in what you see than the speed you go. Many people only go 5-10 miles a day and don't see anything because they're staring at the ground and wiping the sweat out of their eyes. I've been there.

Images

What's the timeframe you're thinking of doing a hike in? Fast to me might be slow to you!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Garlic
    Images

What kind of speed are we talking about here? Even if you hike at, say 4 mph for 9 or 10 hours a day, the world ain't exactly whizzing by you and you have several hours of daylight to enjoy meeting people. It's pretty fun on the AT to stop in at shelters for a meal at a table with other hikers, then hike on into the sunset. You wouldn't be hiking with anyone for much more than a day at a time, but you'll still see a lot and you'll see a greater quantity of people as you pass.

My 106-day hike on the AT was somewhat fast by many standards, but I never hiked more than 29 miles in a day, never broke into a run, never felt rushed, and usually averaged less than 2.5 mph while hiking. I don't think I missed very much. I took lots of side trips, too, more than most, since I was never committed to a certain pace or destination every day--I just hiked from first light to sunset. I did not spend much time in towns and only took three zero days. While many probably derided me for not "smelling the roses" at that pace, I felt I was out there on the trail and enjoying every day more than most.

One advantage of this kind of hiking is that your hike will probably cost less. That could be a big "pro" if it matters to you.

I think the biggest "con" would be you wouldn't have much of a "trail family", a big reason the AT is so fun to so many. I still managed to meet some great people and have kept in touch with them after the trail.

The main reason I hiked that pace is just that it was my pace and I didn't want to hike some else's pace, or what someone else thought my pace should be. That's probably the best way to enjoy the AT.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

When a similar topic came around last year,think my opinion was that I didn't see the point in speed hiking,and missing all the views.I have since thought about this subject further,and for me,I really don't care either way,I personally prefer the slow life,walking to running,sailboats to speed boats,for me slow and steady wins the race.But when I walk,I am doing some of the same things a speed hiker does,I keep track of time,miles,distance,food consumed,and on and on...just at a slower pace.The truth is I admire the human form,and that a body can preform at that level of punishment,Awesome feat really.jm2c

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I agree with what Garlic said. Your ground speed isn't going to be any faster than anyone else's--you'll just walk longer hours. I remember reading an interview with Jenn Pharr Davis (last year's supported record setter), and she said she never understood it when people told her she'd be missing the scenery. She said something along the lines of, "I walk 3 mph just like everyone else; I don't understand what I'm missing at that speed." She also mentioned that walking during dusk and dawn hours opened her eyes to a lot of crepuscular wildlife that most hikers don't get to see.

From what I've seen, people who do thru-hike very fast--100 days or less--still can make a lot of friends, they're just unlikely to keep any of them for long. Get used to the idea of a lot of one-day friendships, after which you'll leave people in the dust. On the AT, that can still result in a lot of fascinating encounters with fascinating people. One of my closest trail friends from last year is someone whom I hiked with for 3 hours total before I stopped for the day and he pushed on. He finished two months before I did, but one 3-hour conversation was enough to establish us as pretty kindred spirits. We looked each other up on facebook later and we keep in touch now.

Personally, I found that hiking more than 25 miles per day, especially for consecutive days, drained me mentally in an unpleasant way, so I stopped doing it very often because I didn't need to. If I was in a time crunch, I probably could've pushed myself and built up the endurance to do that, but whatever. I'm sure you can do it and enjoy yourself in the process if you have a short time frame.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

I addressed this very issue in my journal at the end of my "speed hike" of the PCT last year.
    http://Postholer.Com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=27590

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

When most people talk of "speed hike" they really mean "long hiking days".

Get up early, hike all day, spend less time in camp and less time in towns.

Very, very, very easy to a 4 month or less thru-hike of the AT using this strategy.

The "con" is that you miss the more social aspects of the AT.

Is it good? Is it bad? Well, that is up to you.

ps. My translation for "smelling the roses" AT style = on the trail at 9am, a long lunch break, in a shelter by 5pm and lots of zero days in town.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Working on Forestry Grad schol

it's pretty simple for me. I like hiking. That means that I end up doing lots of miles.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    I addressed this very issue in my journal at the end of my "speed hike" of the PCT last year.
    http://Postholer.Com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=27590
    Thanks GG-man, I appreciate the journal. Very detailed. Did you use a hammock or tent or just tarp? What was it like camping on the trail most of the nights, did you worry about the bugs, insects, snakes, wild animals came close to you at night while you were sleeping?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The con of a fast hike is that experience, logisitics and time management are much bigger factors than physical fitness.

Physical fitness is a much bigger factor in what you see than the speed you go. Many people only go 5-10 miles a day and don't see anything because they're staring at the ground and wiping the sweat out of their eyes. I've been there.
    Thank you leaftye, that makes me feel much better.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    it's pretty simple for me. I like hiking. That means that I end up doing lots of miles.
    ScottP, I like hiking too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    When most people talk of "speed hike" they really mean "long hiking days".

Get up early, hike all day, spend less time in camp and less time in towns.

Very, very, very easy to a 4 month or less thru-hike of the AT using this strategy.

The "con" is that you miss the more social aspects of the AT.

Is it good? Is it bad? Well, that is up to you.

ps. My translation for "smelling the roses" AT style = on the trail at 9am, a long lunch break, in a shelter by 5pm and lots of zero days in town.
    MAGS, thanks for the advice. I will just smell the roses on the trail then.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I agree with what Garlic said. Your ground speed isn't going to be any faster than anyone else's--you'll just walk longer hours. I remember reading an interview with Jenn Pharr Davis (last year's supported record setter), and she said she never understood it when people told her she'd be missing the scenery. She said something along the lines of, "I walk 3 mph just like everyone else; I don't understand what I'm missing at that speed." She also mentioned that walking during dusk and dawn hours opened her eyes to a lot of crepuscular wildlife that most hikers don't get to see.

From what I've seen, people who do thru-hike very fast--100 days or less--still can make a lot of friends, they're just unlikely to keep any of them for long. Get used to the idea of a lot of one-day friendships, after which you'll leave people in the dust. On the AT, that can still result in a lot of fascinating encounters with fascinating people. One of my closest trail friends from last year is someone whom I hiked with for 3 hours total before I stopped for the day and he pushed on. He finished two months before I did, but one 3-hour conversation was enough to establish us as pretty kindred spirits. We looked each other up on facebook later and we keep in touch now.

Personally, I found that hiking more than 25 miles per day, especially for consecutive days, drained me mentally in an unpleasant way, so I stopped doing it very often because I didn't need to. If I was in a time crunch, I probably could've pushed myself and built up the endurance to do that, but whatever. I'm sure you can do it and enjoy yourself in the process if you have a short time frame.
    Hi Scrub Hiker, I think a three hours conversation would let me establish pretty good relationships. I used to talk to the people sitting next to me on the airplane, and ended up talking the entire trip, I really enjoyed it while feeling exhausted. Keeping in touch is another issue.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    When a similar topic came around last year,think my opinion was that I didn't see the point in speed hiking,and missing all the views.I have since thought about this subject further,and for me,I really don't care either way,I personally prefer the slow life,walking to running,sailboats to speed boats,for me slow and steady wins the race.But when I walk,I am doing some of the same things a speed hiker does,I keep track of time,miles,distance,food consumed,and on and on...just at a slower pace.The truth is I admire the human form,and that a body can preform at that level of punishment,Awesome feat really.jm2c
    RocketSocks, I agree with you 100%. I like to hike my own pace. And being breakfree of spending time on my own.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    What kind of speed are we talking about here? Even if you hike at, say 4 mph for 9 or 10 hours a day, the world ain't exactly whizzing by you and you have several hours of daylight to enjoy meeting people. It's pretty fun on the AT to stop in at shelters for a meal at a table with other hikers, then hike on into the sunset. You wouldn't be hiking with anyone for much more than a day at a time, but you'll still see a lot and you'll see a greater quantity of people as you pass.

My 106-day hike on the AT was somewhat fast by many standards, but I never hiked more than 29 miles in a day, never broke into a run, never felt rushed, and usually averaged less than 2.5 mph while hiking. I don't think I missed very much. I took lots of side trips, too, more than most, since I was never committed to a certain pace or destination every day--I just hiked from first light to sunset. I did not spend much time in towns and only took three zero days. While many probably derided me for not "smelling the roses" at that pace, I felt I was out there on the trail and enjoying every day more than most.

One advantage of this kind of hiking is that your hike will probably cost less. That could be a big "pro" if it matters to you.

I think the biggest "con" would be you wouldn't have much of a "trail family", a big reason the AT is so fun to so many. I still managed to meet some great people and have kept in touch with them after the trail.

The main reason I hiked that pace is just that it was my pace and I didn't want to hike some else's pace, or what someone else thought my pace should be. That's probably the best way to enjoy the AT.
    Garlic08, loved your post. I agree the best way for me to enjoy the AT is to hike my own pace, too. In this way, I probably will be able to meet with more people, have all kinds of conversations. It would make me feel that I am on a mission, rather than having to accomodate my schedule for others, after all, "Hike your own Hike" literally means I am doing this for my own.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    What's the timeframe you're thinking of doing a hike in? Fast to me might be slow to you!
    Moose2001, my time frame is somewhat crunched. I don't get much vacation. If go back to school, the max. length vacation I have will be 5-mid aug. which gives me 3 and a half month to do something.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What Garlic said....

You will also find quite a bit of the trail unremarkable and repetitive I hate to say so it's not like you're going to be walking in awe wishing you could slow down all the time.

Every day has its bright spots and wonders but not every step.

I agree with what Mags said...

Those who talk about smelling the roses really mean 'sitting around shelters and hostels'. It's not like you walk down the AT and see a thru-hiker sitting off the trail identifying various leaves, bugs and plants, they'll are sitting in shelters after a 12 mile day, or still in town after 3 days, talking smack about the 10% of hikers out there who see value and enjoyment in 'hiking'.

Even at just 2 miles per hour, on a 12 hour day...24 miles. That's pretty conservative in my view. Do that 5 days per week, add in a 15 mile day for fun and a zero, you could still hike the trail in 113-115 days, and that includes 15 zero days.

The key is not making miles, that's easy in my experience, the key is getting out of town and being disciplined.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I agree with what Mags said...

Those who talk about smelling the roses really mean 'sitting around shelters and hostels'. It's not like you walk down the AT and see a thru-hiker sitting off the trail identifying various leaves, bugs and plants, they'll are sitting in shelters after a 12 mile day, or still in town after 3 days, talking smack about the 10% of hikers out there who see value and enjoyment in 'hiking'.

Even at just 2 miles per hour, on a 12 hour day...24 miles. That's pretty conservative in my view. Do that 5 days per week, add in a 15 mile day for fun and a zero, you could still hike the trail in 113-115 days, and that includes 15 zero days.

The key is not making miles, that's easy in my experience, the key is getting out of town and being disciplined.
    Hi stranger,
    I agree. The key thing is the discipline and getting out there and do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++