WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am planning a section hike as well. I am going to leave me car at Fontana. I spoke with the TVA yesterday and they told me to leave a note the drives seat saying you are hiking and you will be back on this date.

With security the way it is now if you leave a car there for a long time they might tow it.

If you need to call the TVA the number is 877-829-1694.

I'd like to re-awaken this old thread since the last post was 8 years ago! I am planning to hike up to Fontana from Springer after leaving my car at the Fontanta Dam Visitor Center. Is this a good idea? Does anybody have tips on a better plan for leaving a car in the area?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There have been many other threads on parking at Fontana... and they all pretty much say it's all good.

The only thing to check into is who (if anyone other than GSMNP rangers... but then the Dam Visitor Center is outside the park) you might need to let know you're parking at the dam long term and the car is not abandoned.

Thank you. I do plan to call them. Also...I did a site search for this topic and this is what came up. If you know of other specific threads, please let me know! It's like searching for a needle is a stack of needles sometimes.

Images

TVA polices that area.....

you may be able to talk to them and let them know about your car.....

i have seen them parked at the building that's before you get to the visitors center on the left hand side of road...........

Update for 2019: Still OK to park at the VC. Their words, " Just lock it and leave it".

I parked there in March for a three day trip and had no issues. Although.. I was worried about my car the entire time I was in the woods lol couldn't help it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++