WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fontana Dam Parking

Can anybody give me some feedback on the parking situation near Fontana Dam? I'm going to be starting a section there in late May and am planning to park the car there for about a week. Can I park by the dam visitors center and leave it there for a week or is the parking just for dam visitors (day parking)? Also, if it is okay to park the car there, is it a safe place? I know there are never any guarantees, just looking for if there have been any significant vandalism issues with cars parked for several days. Thanks in advance for the info.

Kevin

Images

Why not drive accross the dam and park in the parking area at the trail head? I think you can park there a week safely as long as you take normal percautions.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

My section hikes brought me thru Fontana Dam in 2003/2004. Parking at the visitors center for a week will be fine, & a bit safer than tucked away in the small parking area near the trailhead. Overall, that area is safer than most, but I was told best to have my vehicle visible by all (including Dam Patrol personnel) near the visitors center to discourage vandalism. Call Jeff at The Hike Inn (near Fontana Dam) @ #828-479-3677 to check on the current safety of your vehicle at Fontana Dam. Enjoy your Hike!

Images

I've left my car in the Smokys, including the Fontana trailhead, for 3 days at a time without problems. One thing you might do is to check in at the Smokemont or Sugarlands ranger stations (the main ones) and tell them explicitly that you'll be leaving your car at Fontana for a week and give them your license plate number.

Yes, I agree with James. I've left my car there at the Dam for a week 2 years ago, near the visitor center and it was fine. I went into the visitor center to tell them what I was doing and they said that was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex
    Yes, I agree with James. I've left my car there at the Dam for a week 2 years ago, near the visitor center and it was fine. I went into the visitor center to tell them what I was doing and they said that was fine.

I also always park at the Visitors' Center. One reason I don't park at the trailhead is I've been there when they close the dam to car traffic. You could get stuck at the trailhead with no way to get your car out.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Section hikers, 900+ miles, donating members anneandbenhike's Avatar
    Images

We parked for a week at the Fontana Visitors center in mid-late June. We had no problems except that a couple (guessing) of mice took up residence in our trunk where hubby had left some extra peanut butter crackers by mistake. They shredded some paper from a map and made a nice little nest. A trap set on the trip home dispatched one and the other(s) disappeared!

Default Thanks

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the feedback on parking at Fontana Dam. Now just a matter of counting down the days until I get there

Kevin

Red face Fontana Dam Parking

Last fall I parked my van at the marina before the dam. Good location and safe. I would not park at the trailhead if at all possible. The parking area by the dam is safe.

Images

i have parked at fontana dam parking lot several times,no problems at all neo

Is it free to park your car there?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/all/page/1

The fact that the dam could be closed to all traffic and the trail rerouted is as good a reason as any to park at the visitors center(see sign above). Also, the visitors center parking lot is probably a lot safer than the trailhead.

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

We just left our vehicle at the dam visitor's center parking area for 8 days and all was well when we got to it. There were lots of vehicles there.

And of course the bonus: a free hot shower!

There were warnings posted against drinking the water and the drinking fountains were disabled. Apparently the equipment that treats the water is very old and failing, so don't count on filling your water bottles at the dam.

Images

But...
    the visitor's center sells ice cream and cold cold cokes

Post Shuttle from Fontana to Davenprot Gap

Hey Everyone,
    I am in the initial stages of planning a section hike through GSMNP. I got a quote for 175.00 for a ride from Fontana to Davenport Gap (A Walk in the Woods out of Gatlinburg) and was wondering if this was a competitive rate or should I look elsewhere? Two of us plan to hike back to our car at Fontana. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any Comments would be appreciated!

TM

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I am in the initial stages of planning a section hike through GSMNP. I got a quote for 175.00 for a ride from Fontana to Davenport Gap (A Walk in the Woods out of Gatlinburg) and was wondering if this was a competitive rate or should I look elsewhere? Two of us plan to hike back to our car at Fontana. Anyone have any suggestions?

TM
    There is a lodge ( motel ) just outside of Cosby and on the road to Gatlingburg that used to provide great deals on shuttles. They would use your vehicle to drop you off and then park it in their parking lot. I believe the name was the Laurel Valley Lodge or something like that and it was a fantastic place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Hey Everyone,

TM
    That price is a little higher than most.I charge $135

Default Yes use Tiamalle

Yes use Ron as he probably shuttles more hikers than anyone else I know except possibly Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn. Both are great people.

Hope to see you again this year Ron Keep my room ready
    Rebel, with a Cause !!

Fontana Village does it for $120 for 2 people. Only reason we are a little cheaper then Ron is we don't have to drive as far.

Default And to the South?

"Fontana Village does it for $120 for 2 people. Only reason we are a little cheaper then Ron is we don't have to drive as far."

Hi,
    About how much would it cost to go to Hiawasee, if we left from Fontana? What about places in between Hiawassee and Fontana that are accessible by road to drop off two hikers? We would like to do between 60-100 miles of the AT. We plan on staying at the Fontana Resort at the end of the hike regardless of which direction we hike there from.

Thanks,
    TM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++