WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default the boy who cried wolf

On a hiking/mineral collecting trip to Virginia one year,My partner in crime and I came across the Bull Run Quarry in Leesburg If memory serves.We ran into some other boys there doing the same.One was an old man that carried a large branch with a flare where the roots were,and inside the little jagged wooden bowl was a large Quartz crystal that he said he got from Arkansas.He kinda reminded me of a Sorcerer,as he not only had the staff he had the look,and the gift for gab.After we talked for a while,he directed his son to show us where to look to find some of the famed little Prenite crystals we had come to find,the young man said look all in here,we will be on that other Terrace back up around the bend and above you.We started looking and it didn't take long for us to find the little green crystals,and when I found a keeper I let out a huge "Tarzan" yell.A moment late a voice from above said "Hey you OK down there" yeah,I replied,I just found a beautiful little crystal,thanks,the voice came again "OK,but if you yell like that again,your gonna have to "Whoop" and old man" From then on,I've tried to be mindful of that lesson learned.I never saw that old man again.

Images

Uh...+1. LOL
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    Uh...+1. LOL
    Thanks Joe,that in fact is a true story.The old bird was quite a character.His stick loolked like a movie prop,all painted gold on the inside of the roots adorned with felt and though bejewled,they were dwarfed by that large quartz crystal point about the size of a peach,this thing was so very tacky,and so very interesting to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    Uh...+1. LOL
    Sorry bout the tacky title,little disinguinuous......at best.But I do now think,before the "Tarzan yell" gets unleashed,and what affects it might bring.This guy was pissed,and as I say,those were the only words he uttered,I've no doubt that were he on the same level,he a taken a poke at me,if only verbal,no doubt at all.

Journal Entries

Default from northern VA.

Love bull run. I used to shoot shotguns and play frisbee golf there, don't remember a quarry though. Would have loved to met this guy ( not on the shotgun range).

Quote Originally Posted by Cwd243 View Post
    Love bull run. I used to shoot shotguns and play frisbee golf there, don't remember a quarry though. Would have loved to met this guy (not on the shotgun range).
    Yep,that could get a little dicey,though he was a good bird....he just got pissed thats all.He thought one of us died,and when he found us alive...he wanted to kill us/me,pretty funny actually when I think about it these days.It's all good.

Images

high-strung wizards are the worst. at least that's been my experience.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

++ New Posts ++