WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Long Trail - Southbound E2E resupply question

Question for those of you who've hiked a SOBO E2E hike.... I'm putting together a rough itinerary and other than going into Manchester Center for a zero I'm wanting to move down the trail at a decent clip, finishing in 2.5 weeks.

What would be the easiest/quickest food/laundry/lodging resupply options that are 3-4 days apart going south?

That is... if you were hiking south at 17-20 mpd where would you get off to grab some food, shower and maybe a night in a bed?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Question for those of you who've hiked a SOBO E2E hike.... I'm putting together a rough itinerary and other than going into Manchester Center for a zero I'm wanting to move down the trail at a decent clip, finishing in 2.5 weeks.

What would be the easiest/quickest food/laundry/lodging resupply options that are 3-4 days apart going south?

That is... if you were hiking south at 17-20 mpd where would you get off to grab some food, shower and maybe a night in a bed?
    I did SOBO last year in 18 days (from Journey's End Camp II to the AT crossing of MA 2). I resupplied in Johnson (just 2 miles off the trail), Richmond (3 miles off the trail), and Rutland (by taking the hourly bus from the Inn @LT, where I overnighted).

The supermarket in Johnson had just closed before I hiked, so you'd need to mail drop supplies there. There is a gas station with a convenience store just before the town. The laundromat is next to the post office, and the library (with internet access is just around the corner).

There is a nice supermarket in Richmond, along with B&B.

The Rutland bus drops off right next to a shopping plaza with a Price Chopper (huge supermarket) and Wal-Mart. The library is a few blocks away.

Unless you are in a very good shape, you'll have trouble starting with anything near 18 mpd. The trail north of Lincoln Gap (especially south of Lamoille River) is very rough, harder than the AT in the Whites in my view. The rock in the north is so slippery than I could barely manage 1 mph downhill (uphill was faster) and still slipped a few times (well, it was also wet then). The LT south of Lincoln Gap is a cakewalk in comparison. My first two days were around 12 miles with 4000' gain each; Day 5 was on 12.5 miles with 5500' gain. On the other hand, it took me only 5 days to get from the Inn @ LT to the AT crossing of MA 2 (and the Williamstown Motel on MA 2).

Great, just what I'm wanting to know, thanks!

AT 2012

have a great hike, 10K. I know you'll fly!!! Your 4-legged buddy going with you?
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    have a great hike, 10K. I know you'll fly!!! Your 4-legged buddy going with you?
    Nah... I'm going to be moving too fast for him and I think some of the trail is a bit iffy for a big dog. Drake can cover about 40 miles in 2-3 days and then he needs a few days to rest up.

How's it going up your way ?

We are also going sobo in about the same time (18-19 days). I've made this trip before nobo so going sobo this time.

We plan on doing the following:
    - Morrisville (6 miles past Johnson), overnight in motel, resupply at supermarket
    - Jonesville PO, on trail...2 day maildrop
    - Waitsfield, overnight in town, resupply at supermarket
    - Rutland, overnight in town, resupply at supermarket
    - Manchester Center, boomering, just resupply at supermarket

The really tough section is from Vt 15 (Johnson area) to Lincoln Gap, but I still think one can hike 17-20's through there, it's just going to take more time. I would usually bank on 20 miles taking me 8-9 hours in most places, in this section I would say 12. No biggie if you are fit, experienced and aren't carrying too much weight.

If you wanted to go bare bones...the Jonesville PO and Inn at Long Trail are directly on the trail, but that would blow the 3-4 day food bag, more like 5+ days...and only 1 shower : (

Another question... I plan on parking at the Greylock Community Club in N. Adams and catching a shuttle to the north end.

Where do I want to get dropped off at on the north end that will let me get on the trail asap?

I should be in North Troy by 1:00 PM so I'll have several hours of daylight the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    We plan on doing the following:
    - Morrisville (6 miles past Johnson), overnight in motel, resupply at supermarket
    - Jonesville PO, on trail...2 day maildrop
    - Waitsfield, overnight in town, resupply at supermarket
    - Rutland, overnight in town, resupply at supermarket
    - Manchester Center, boomering, just resupply at supermarket
    Looking at the map and the E2E guide that looks about perfect. The only thing I might do different is go into Stow instead of Morrisville. I've already hiked the AT so once they merge I'm back on familiar turf and can wing it.

So basically, my LT resupply plan is this:

1. Start with 3.5 days food.
    2. Send a 2 day drop to Jonesville
    3. Figure it out from there...

AT 2012

Nah... I'm going to be moving too fast for him and I think some of the trail is a bit iffy for a big dog. Drake can cover about 40 miles in 2-3 days and then he needs a few days to rest up.

How's it going up your way ?
    spectacular. just sending my reservation to Baxter... hiking caratunk to rangeley in june, then finishing my seemingly life-long AT section hike at Katahdin in July. and i get to try out my first wood burning stove soon. i did get to hike with a nobo named eagle eye and his german shephard, Jack, a few weeks ago just south of the SNP. nice guy. great dog.
    Lazarus

Another question... I plan on parking at the Greylock Community Club in N. Adams and catching a shuttle to the north end.

Where do I want to get dropped off at on the north end that will let me get on the trail asap?

I should be in North Troy by 1:00 PM so I'll have several hours of daylight the first day.
    Have them drop you off at the Journey's End Trail trailhead (if their car make it on that road). You could then either stay at Journey's End Camp II (a really nice, new, cabin with a nice stream nearby) or hike up to Shooting Star Shelter (a small, old shelter; according to the LT guide, the main water source is a pump 200 feet off the trail; if that fails, it is steep hike downhill to some stream; I did not refill until the next shelter, so I do not know for sure).

You should be able to make Laura Woodward with a 1pm start, then get Jay Peak first thing in the morning

Looking at the map and the E2E guide that looks about perfect. The only thing I might do different is go into Stow instead of Morrisville. I've already hiked the AT so once they merge I'm back on familiar turf and can wing it.

So basically, my LT resupply plan is this:

1. Start with 3.5 days food.
    2. Send a 2 day drop to Jonesville
    3. Figure it out from there...
    Going into Stowe will also break up the Whiteface / Mansfield climbs...we're gonna hit them in one day haha, and you know it will rain that day ha!

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Going into Stowe will also break up the Whiteface / Mansfield climbs...we're gonna hit them in one day haha, and you know it will rain that day ha!
    I went up Moosilauke in the Whites southbound in a driving thunderstorm. More than once I thought I might slide to my death...

++ New Posts ++