Default Anyone ever tried LL Bean packs?

Hey there,

I'm looking to do a thru hike of the AT in 2014. Maybe earlier. Because some of my backpacking gear is somewhat weathered-my kelty backpack is falling apart after ten years, I've been extensively researching gear-especially new backpacks.

I still have some gear that will have some weight to it- specifically my beloved tent and I'm hoping to get my weight down to 35 lbs. or less. That being said, I was looking for a backpack under 3lbs. 10 oz. Some backpack choices I was trying to decide between is the Osprey Aura 65 or 50. The hip straps didn't seem padded enough but were adjustable. The Ariel, while more comfortable, is too heavy. THEN I came across the LL Bean Women's AT 55.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/67028...ry&feat=WEB-od

Which is really a 50 liter bag, but it weighs 2lbs. 14 oz! The only problem is I couldn't find any reviews on it aside from what appears on LL bean's website. LL Bean had a sale this past weekend so I jumped at it, and I'm eagerly awaiting its delivery. Does anyone have any experience in extensive backpacking with LL Bean packs? Good or bad? I wanna hear from you.

I'm open to any additional suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance.

Images

I've seen it at the LL Bean store. Seems like a decent pack. Once you load it up with your gear and walk around for a while, you'll know if you want to keep it.

It's not hard to get your total pack weight, with food and water, well under 30 pounds. Your beloved tent might not make the cut, but that's for you to decide. You have a year and a half to get out and hike, and you're only four hours from the Trail. I meet a lot of people from the Triangle out in the Mt Rogers area -- great testing ground for gear.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

On one hand, its what between your ears that determines your sucess or lack of it, not your gear.

On the other hand, you are intending to embark on a very long journey that will test equipment limits, and you will depend on the integrity of the equipment. Its not a weekend overnighter. Replacing failed gear along the way is surely possible, but not exactly desireable from either a monetary or convenience standpoint. In certain situations it could even have safety implications.

My suggestion, would be to stick to equipment which is thru-hike proven .

My own personal experience with several various LL Bean items is that they are generally very well-made, but often also poorly designed.

The beauty of LL Bean, like REI, is that you can use it in the real world, and if it doesn't suit you, return it. So give it a go.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

April,I know your talking about backpacks,but wanted to just mention that thier child carriers I used for years taking my kids hiking when they were little.I never had a problem with that product or any other LL.Bean product thier return policy is one of the best in the industry,bar none.Happy hiking

Thanks for the advice! All very helpful. I should receive it just before this weekend, which will be great timing to try it out-(I'm thinking Pisgah Nat'l forest if I can get out early enough, Big Cranky.) And yes, the return policies are what my buying decisions hinge on-so even with REI and Osprey, there's double promise there. Therefore, If I don't like the AT55 it I'll send it back and grab an Osprey pack while the REI sale is going on. But based on my cons and pros list of the Osprey packs, I might just wait to see what next year's models showcase.

As for my tent situation, I managed to score the microlight 2p tent from LLBean as a backup-the one Backpacker magazine seemed to like so much. So maybe that can be on stand by while I get the last years out my beloved old MSR. And in the meantime, I'll see what I can do to get under 30 lbs. Thanks again!
    AT

Hopefully I got what it takes, guess I wont know til I get there! But that's what makes it an adventure, right?

I've had NO experience with LL Bean, I just remember rich kids in high school used their monogrammed backpacks for astoundingly heavy loads of books. This is the only and MOST trust I've put into their brand so far. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sure you've already received your pack and have tried it out, but throwing in my two cents here...

I used the Men's AT55 pack this past March on the trail (I have too long of a torso for the woman's pack). I really loved my pack. It had an insane amount of room and, when properly adjusted, had a great fit. The only issue I had is that there wasn't a separate sleeping bag compartment, and I couldn't get my kelty sleeping bag to compress enough to get it down in the pack. It ended up riding in the extender at the top. All-in-all, I really liked my pack, though I may go with something smaller and with a sleeping bag compartment the next time round.

Hope it serves your needs! I love LL Bean!
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

I have an LLBean daypack that I've used for over a decade...I LOVE it and it's still in great shape!

Journal Entries

I wonder if this pack is large enough to carry your winter gear at the start. I am looking in the 65 liter range and found the Osprey Aura to be a good pack...but I've only tried it on in the store. I presently have a Granite Gear Ki that holds 3500 cu. in., but it will not hold all my winter gear. Just something to think about.

++ New Posts ++