WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Black Flies

Default Black Flies

It seems as though the black flies have made their appearance in the Whites. Anyone know if they are out in the Saddleback area of Maine?

They are starting to get bad everywhere it sounds with the amount of rain we keep getting and then the heat. They haven't gotten to me just yet. I am eating lots of garlic and and not really wearing anything that has any detergent smells and it seems to help. I used to do the same thing with the mosquitos in the south and it kept them at bay pretty well. Tea Tree Oil is also good to use for ticks. It seems to repel them pretty well. We have been out quite a bit lately and have done tick checks and seem to be tick free thus far. The black flys seem to be getting worse as we have wet weather. The open ridges have seemed to be the worst spots for them. Anyway enjoy your hike. Saddleback is a bitchin part of Maine!

How are they in southern Vt right now--we are headed there shortly for about a week.

I just spoke to someone who lives near Saddleback. He said the flies have recently come out but they are not that bad. Maybe I will chance it and see what the woods have to offer this weekend.

Images

Just remember when we say they aren't that bad, it still might translate to drive you bonkers.

You get used to them. Some are bothered more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Just remember when we say they aren't that bad, it still might translate to drive you bonkers.

You get used to them. Some are bothered more than others.
    That's what I figured. I can deal with a few miles here and there but if the entire 30-some mile trip is black flies then it would not be fun.

fwiw, the yellow flies are out and nasty down here in Florida .... I even got bit by one in a Lowes garden section yesterday. Out in the swampy areas they can get pretty bad these days.

Black flies still give me nightmares. Backpacking with my brother and friend in the White's, near Kinsman, they were so bad they drove us into the tent. It sounded like it was raining out as they bumped against the fly. It finally cooled off enough they disappeared and we gathered around the fire. I've experienced the bugs in Denali and they didn't compare to the black flies that night.

Quote Originally Posted by DCHiker View Post
    Black flies still give me nightmares. Backpacking with my brother and friend in the White's, near Kinsman, they were so bad they drove us into the tent. It sounded like it was raining out as they bumped against the fly. It finally cooled off enough they disappeared and we gathered around the fire. I've experienced the bugs in Denali and they didn't compare to the black flies that night.
    Yep..I still wander what not that bad means :-)

I was hiking a section of Mount Washington a few days ago............ the black flies were relentless, and unbearable. NOTHING worked to keep them away.

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    It seems as though the black flies have made their appearance in the Whites. Anyone know if they are out in the Saddleback area of Maine?

Returning from Vermont after this last week, everyone looked like they were recovering from measles. Gum

Images

From Views from the Top, MichaelJ, http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ry-Black-flies
    Saturday 5/26 the black flies on the Moats were beyond oppressive. At one point I had probably a dozen on each arm as well as on my ears, in my hair, etc… I ended up with the classic ring of bloody bites at the top of my gaiters, blood dripping from behind my ears, bites all over my forehead and arms.
    When black flies are bad, it is hell. DEET is somewhat effective, but not 100%. The best strategy is to be completely covered, long sleeve shirt, long pants, head net, with no un-DEETed exposed flesh. The worst I've been hit was in the Adirondacks around July 4. My shirt tail rode up above my belt and I had a continuous welt about an inch wide across my back. Fortunately it's not always that bad, but it's always wise to be prepared in black fly season.

Killington last weekend. Pretty bad at the top.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    From Views from the Top, MichaelJ, http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ry-Black-flies

When black flies are bad, it is hell. DEET is somewhat effective, but not 100%. The best strategy is to be completely covered, long sleeve shirt, long pants, head net, with no un-DEETed exposed flesh. The worst I've been hit was in the Adirondacks around July 4. My shirt tail rode up above my belt and I had a continuous welt about an inch wide across my back. Fortunately it's not always that bad, but it's always wise to be prepared in black fly season.
    Lift shirt and spray beltline before you tuck in shirt. Yes it is cold.

++ New Posts ++