WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche1 View Post
    Hi Rain Man. Thanks for reading Avalanche and Gorilla Jim and for your comments.
    Avalanche, you are very welcome. And just so you know, I don't give out "perfect scores" on any book reviews. So, any critique was not a special knock on your book, which I really enjoyed and do recommend.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks Rain Man.

I want you to know that I chose not to back away from telling about the murders on the trail because it is a fact of life. For example, the death of Scott Lilly on the A.T. last summer was ruled a homicide. No one talks about it because we would like to think of the trail as I described it in Avalanche and Gorilla Jim: "It’s a place of perfect peace. It’s an escape from worldly problems." (page 193) I wrote about how relatively safe the A.T. is (pages 250 - 251), but even the Appalachian Trail Conservancy tells hikers to be wary (pages 258 - 259).

If the words I used to describe what happened on the trail to others saves one person from becoming another victim, that will be wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed the book because it is mostly lighthearted and intended to entertain.

I hope some day I will have the pleasure of seeing you and others on the trail. Again, thanks for your kind words.

My 2 ˘'s:

Why not skip all the book promotion talk and just tell people to use common sense and listen to the little voice inside their head that's helped them survive everyday life so far? Nothing in life is guaranteed. We get it.

No need to sensationalize the tragic events of the past. I really despise marketing tactics that capitalize on topics like that.
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-22-2012 at 10:15.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    My 2 ˘'s:

Why not skip all the book promotion talk and just tell people to use common sense and listen to the little voice inside their head that's helped them survive everyday life so far? Nothing in life is guaranteed. We get it.

No need to sensationalize the tragic events of the past. I really despise marketing tactics that capitalize on topics like that.
    I think it important to talk about and learn from these crimes. There is much that could and should be include in this kind of book.

That said, some of the detail the author chose to include-- ie the amount of time it took one victim to die -- struck me as being crudely presented, and in poor taste. Not illuminating at all.

I just read that part on the author's web site, I can't speak to the rest of the book.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche1 View Post
    For example, the death of Scott Lilly on the A.T. last summer was ruled a homicide.
    Wait...what, last year?? I did not hear about this.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++