WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Holy spam Batman

What is up with all the spam,how does spam happen,and I don't mean single servings.Seems like it's becoming more and more frequent? Is it harmful to the site or computers?

Images

I wouldn't click the links if my life depended on it. I was actually about to post this same thread.

Images

spam has one of the highest calorie to weight ratios, and is delicious fried up with onions and bell peppers!
    Also, Its great to see that 19 yr olds from India realize the AT is much more challenging than the himalayas in their back yard.

Can't the monitors delete them and ban the Users from the site? At least they would have to register again.

If you ever see a spam post, click on the "Report Post" button (it's the little yield sign with the exclamation point in it under each post). That way moderators are alerted to the spam and can take measures against it.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If you ever see a spam post, click on the "Report Post" button (it's the little yield sign with the exclamation point in it under each post). That way moderators are alerted to the spam and can take measures against it.
    Someone could design a program that make the post explode like in the old game Battle Zone.

We delete them as we see them. I had 4 reported posts in 'my' forums this morning. The admins then take care of banning the accounts.

So yes, please report spam!

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    We delete them as we see them. I had 4 reported posts in 'my' forums this morning. The admins then take care of banning the accounts.

So yes, please report spam!
    ? for the Mods - do you just delete the spam in a specific thread that is reported or do you have a way of looking at all the posts made by the same 'entity'.

My reason for asking - This morning each of about 4 different spammers had posted to 5 or so threads. Is it necessary to report each thread or will one report per spammer work!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    ? for the Mods - do you just delete the spam in a specific thread that is reported or do you have a way of looking at all the posts made by the same 'entity'.

My reason for asking - This morning each of about 4 different spammers had posted to 5 or so threads. Is it necessary to report each thread or will one report per spammer work!
    AT Troll or Alligator can best answer this but...

Mods can only delete spam in their respective forums. Once reported it may be possible (I forget exactly) it may be possible to delete all posts by a single spammer but again it may be only posts that are in the mods forums, so it's best to report all spam.

We can look at all the posts made by a particular user (I think anybody can do that), but the 'regular' mods can only do something about the posts in 'their' forums.

++ New Posts ++