WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Backpacker, Need Help!

I have always been camping, but I have never been backpacking and I want to plan a trip for this summer. I want to do like 13 miles in 2 or 3 days. At the beginning of the trail, is there a place where you can park your car? The shelters along the trails, do you set up a tent there? Are there any laws that affect backpackers? Thanks

Welcome to WhiteBlaze! I'd suggest going to the Home page and checking out the articles listed along the sidebar. Tons of great information, and they'll probably answer a lot of basic questions. Then you can ask more specific questions here and get solid answers.

You need to talk to somebody local to where you want to hike. Or get an AT guide. Sometimes there is parking where the trail crosses roads. Some parks (with parking) have spur trails that connect to the Trail. The trail itself goes through a lot of towns. If you have a specific area in mind that you want to hike, post that. Shelters are first come first served (except for Great Smokies National Park). Generally you can set your tent up anywhere. Usually there will be signs if you are in an area where you cannot set up a tent. Most people pitch tents near water sources.

I see you are 16...go into the nearest REI or other camping store and start a conversation with a worker. They will suggest a good hike for you. Have a good time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pauliesh View Post
    I have always been camping, but I have never been backpacking and I want to plan a trip for this summer. I want to do like 13 miles in 2 or 3 days. At the beginning of the trail, is there a place where you can park your car? The shelters along the trails, do you set up a tent there? Are there any laws that affect backpackers? Thanks
    Hey PaulTo White Blaze.If your looking to go hiking at thr Delaware Water Gap,that would be a great place to start,You could do the The water Gap to Mohican Outdoor Center(which is a AMC run shelter and may cost you a couple a few bucks to pitch a tent) which is about 10 miles,then the next day from Mohican center to Brink road shelter thats about 14 miles.Do you have a map of the Appalachian trail,if not,see about picking one up,try some of the outdoor stores in that/your area.Check out this website as well. http://www.nynjtc.org/ and as mentioned in the above posts,check out the articles and posts from the home page W.Blaze formulate some specific questions,and then ask away,many all the questions concerning the AT have been answered there.Happy Hiking.and again welcome to white blaze.

++ New Posts ++