WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Backcountry Permits?

I've seen 'Backcountry Permits Required' pop up here and there. What exactly are these permits? Do you mean to tell me that I need to visit a ranger, give him money for a small piece of paper, just to walk through the woods? Or are the camping permits worded differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    I've seen 'Backcountry Permits Required' pop up here and there. What exactly are these permits? Do you mean to tell me that I need to visit a ranger, give him money for a small piece of paper, just to walk through the woods? Or are the camping permits worded differently?
    Most National Parks require a permit to camp in the park. The fees are fairly low and are designed to cover the cost of maintaining the backcountry camps and the scheduleing system. The system allows backpackers to know in advance that a camp site will be available. The fees vary, but for example at the Grand Canyon the fee is $10 for each permit plus $5 per night for each person covered by the permit.
    Shutterbug

Images

They're required in GSMNP, but as of now, they're free and shelters require an advanced reservation if you're not a thru hiker.

In Shenandoah, the permits are free, but there's a fee to enter the park if you drive in. If you're hiking in from outside the boundries, there's no charge and where the AT enters and leaves there are kiosks so you can self-register.

In the National Forest nearby the campsites cost. There is a separate backcountry area that is free to camp in, but you have to register to use it. The rangers do patrol the area too.

Images

Might need to define "backcountry" permits. To my knowledge, the AT doesn't run through any "backcountry" in either the GSMNP nor the SNP, for instance. Just food for thought so everyone is talking apples-to-apples.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP uses " backcountry permit" terminology. And you reserve sites and shelters through the Backcountry Reservations Office......

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-25-2012 at 22:18.

I started to think I was going to need a series of permits to walk through the parks. Is camping outside of a campground illegal anywhere besides NJ? I don't want to have to worry about making it to the next 'checkpoint'. I think it'd be nice to setup my hammock at a nice spot or just walk until dark starts to come then setup nearby...

Images

Just in Smokies. Shenendoah you can camp off trail if you follow their page long list of restrictions.

Images

Default SNP guidlines for backcountry camping

§ 7.15 Shenandoah National Park.

(a) Backcountry camping. For purposes of clarification at Shenandoah
    National Park, “backcountry camping” is defined as any use of portable shelter
    or sleeping equipment in the backcountry. “Backcountry” is defined as those
    areas of the park which are more than 250 yards from a paved road, and more than
    one-half mile from any park facilities other than trails, unpaved roads and
    trail shelters. The Superintendent may designate areas where backcountry camping
    is prohibited if there would be potential damage to park resources or disruption
    to other park uses. Such areas will be marked on maps available in the
    Superintendent's office, visitor centers and ranger stations. A person or group
    of persons may camp overnight at any other backcountry location within the park,
    except:

(1) No person or group of persons traveling together may camp without a valid
    backcountry camping permit. The issuance of this permit may be denied when such
    action is necessary to protect park resources or park visitors, or to regulate
    levels of visitor use in legislatively-designated wilderness areas;

(2) No person may camp in or with a group of more than nine (9) other
    persons;

(3) No person or group may backcountry camp:

(i) Within 250 yards or in view from any paved park road or the park
    boundary;

(ii) Within one-half mile or in view from any automobile campground, lodge,
    restaurant, visitor center, picnic area, ranger station, administrative or
    maintenance area, or other park development or facility except a trail, an
    unpaved road or a trail shelter;

(iii) On or in view from any trail or unpaved road, or within sight of any
    sign which has been posted by park authorities to designate a no camping
    area;

(iv) Within view of another camping party, or inside or within view from a
    trail shelter: Provided, however, That backcountry campers may seek
    shelter and sleep within or adjacent to a trail shelter with other camping
    groups, during periods of severely unseasonable weather when the protection and
    amenities of such shelter are deemed essential;

(v) Within 25 feet of any stream; and

(4) No person shall backcountry camp more than two (2) consecutive nights at
    a single location. The term “location” shall mean that particular campsite and
    the surrounding area within a two hundred fifty (250) yard radius of that
    campsite.

(b) Powerless flight. The use of devices designed to carry persons
    through the air in powerless flight is allowed at times and locations designated
    by the superintendent, pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit.

(c) Sanitation. (1) The possession of food or beverage in discardable
    glass containers is prohibited in the backcountry.

(2) Except in comfort facilities provided therefor, no person in the
    backcountry shall urinate or defecate within ten (10) yards of any stream,
    trail, unpaved road or park facility. Fecal material must be placed in a hole
    and be covered with not less than three (3) inches of soil.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

I started to think I was going to need a series of permits to walk through the parks. Is camping outside of a campground illegal anywhere besides NJ?
    I just hiked Maryland last weekend. You can only camp at shelters and designated campsites. Sounds the same a New Jersey.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I started to think I was going to need a series of permits to walk through the parks. Is camping outside of a campground illegal anywhere besides NJ? I don't want to have to worry about making it to the next 'checkpoint'. I think it'd be nice to setup my hammock at a nice spot or just walk until dark starts to come then setup nearby...
    Connecticut also restricts camping to designated sites only - some are shelters, some are campsites. Same for Harriman Park in NY. I believe Massachusetts has the same restriction but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

So for the purposes of thru hiking the AT, are the only restrictions in GSMNP and SNP? Can you pretty much tent wherever you want the rest of the way or are there restrictions? If so, can someone provide a rundown of them?

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Permit me to repeat what already been said

> So for the purposes of thru hiking the AT, are the only restrictions in GSMNP and SNP?
    > Can you pretty much tent wherever you want the rest of the way or are there restrictions?

GSMP has VERY severe restrictions.
    Shenandoah requires that you spend five minutes filling out a piece of paper for free, something you can do as you enter the Park. There are a few other restrictions, easily handled.
    In New Jersey and Connecticut, you can ONLY camp at designated areas.
    Same with Harriman State Park in New York.
    For most of the Trail in Pennsylvania outside of designated campgrounds, you can only spend one night at each spot.
    http://004f2f7.netsolhost.com/paoutdoors.html

You should thoroughly check the rules for each area you plan to hike through, and keep track of where you are. A thirty meter difference in where you camp could make a BIG difference in the legality of doing so.

(iii) On or in view from any trail or unpaved road, or within sight of any
    sign which has been posted by park authorities to designate a no camping
    area;
    I am plannig a section hike through the park. I have never done a section hike throught the park before. My question is...if you cant set up with in sight of the trail how do you find a site to camp? is this reg inforced? and I am wondering what the rest of you guys and gals do while hiking through

The last thing I want to be doing while hiking, worry about having my permits for my presence in public land. The AT people need to get together with these bastard parks and come up with a 'Thru-Hiker's Permit'. One piece of paper allowing you to be left the ***** alone.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    So for the purposes of thru hiking the AT, are the only restrictions in GSMNP and SNP? Can you pretty much tent wherever you want the rest of the way or are there restrictions? If so, can someone provide a rundown of them?
    Didn't you read the above posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Didn't you read the above posts?
    OH God. I made a mistake. Slay me now.

The last thing I want to be doing while hiking, worry about having my permits for my presence in public land. The AT people need to get together with these bastard parks and come up with a 'Thru-Hiker's Permit'. One piece of paper allowing you to be left the ***** alone.
    These 'bastard parks' do yeoman's work with little funding to limit the amount of damage that millions of annual visitors do in the relatively contained spaces of our parks. Without them, what wasn't immediately developed or closed to public use would be trampled, rutted, defoilated and tagged with grafitti by unrestrained people swarming like ants through whatever was left of the woods. And that's not a typo, it's millions of visitors a year, of which thru-hikers are a tiny fraction of one percent. You don't want to fill out a free piece of paper to hike through? Boo-freakin'-Hoo.

/rant

All I really need to know is...how heavy is a "powerless flight machine?" 'Cause I WANT one! As long as I follow the whiteblazes I'm still a purist, right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++