WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Mincemeat

[QUOTE=Connie;1293416]I am not a thru-hiker. I do frequently hike out 5-6 days to 10 days at a time.
    I have dehydrated mincemeat into serving size, after finding it sold dried and in individual serving-size in a cardboard package. It is sweet and surprisingly good on the trail.

Maybe it is like pemmican. Pemmican had powdered meat and pounded fruit mixed with hard fat.

Can you elaborate on the brand and where you bought it. I know the small box of condensed mincemeat http://onlinestore.smucker.com/displ...=899&cat_id=81 but not dried and in an individual serving. I like mincemeat, thanks

The condensed mincemeat is what I had. I like it.

It was in individual serving sizes. Great stuff!

Since I can't find it around here, I started dehydrating mincement purchased in a jar.

This is a six-pack. Maybe it is 6 individual serving-size? Maybe I can order it online, now.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-29-2012 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    In the cold wet Pacific Northwest, I learned to carry a heavy bread known as Logan Bread. It keeps well. It is worth learning how to make. Recipes are online. Small serving-size loafs could go in a "bounce box".
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try it. This recipe looks good: http://sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/

i like to carry fruit cake, pepperoni,new york state extra sharp cheese,powdered milk.sometimes i take some of my sons body building protien suplement powder its ok tasting and it has 34 grams of protien for 2 scoops of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try it. This recipe looks good: http://sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/
    thanks for posting the logan bread im going to try that this weekend looks simalar to fruit cake

Journal Entries

1 gallon of Blue bell Dutch chocolate ice cream is 5000 calories

I vote for the ice cream. Hell, just take 1/2 gallon per day and eat some real food too.

Go to any local grocery and examine the lables of the foods there. You know what you like to eat. $17 will get that many calories easily.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

5000 calories is a piece of cake, or maybe a couple of bags of chips. I ate 6000-8000 calories a day on the last 1500 miles of my thru hike. I only lost two lbs during that time. My theory, for what it's worth is that you want carbs during the day up to about 300 calories per hour then fat and protein rich at the end of the day. When hiking carbs will fuel you. The protein helps to rebuild you so you can get up and do it the next day. Anyone that says you can't hike on junk food is crazy. Here is a picture of a three day resupply coming out of Ashland. I ate about 8000 calories per day on that leg. http://Postholer.Com/journal/viewJou...photo_id=31357 As far as $17/day. This may have made it using only 5000calories per day.

As others said go to the grocery and read labels. Hint: look at food that you shouldn't eat if you were on a diet. Chips are a great and tasty food at about 150 calories per ounce and cheap. Poke the bag, squeeze out the air and crush the chips and you have a pretty compact food source. If you are cooking add as much olive oil as you can tolerate, it cheap as well. Enjoy

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Bagels w/cream cheese and honey, pemmican for breakfast, lots of sweets, get calories from common powdered drinks, dried spaghetti sauce with pasta, noodle mixes with salmon, use olive oil for butter, buy a package of already baked brownies, large little Deb snacks, TVP in your dinner meals, crunchy peanut butter on tortillas.....

fruits and snickers :\
    and water....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++