WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Default Appalachian Trai Thru Hikers (TRAILER)

This is a documentary film I am currently working on. The film is as much about the trail as it is about the people who are hiking it. The film delves a little, and maybe goes in a direction that some thru hikers, and long distance hikers can relate to, maybe even some who are not. I'm doing every aspect of the film all by myself so it will take some time to produce. I hope you all enjoy the trailer though, and any feedback is welcomed, as the film is still being shot as as long as northbounders keep coming thru the Shennies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzYRv74ebXc

Images

Nice job Heald. Look forward to seeing the entire movie.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

There ain't no such damn thing as the "Shennies".

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

That looks like it is going to be such a cool movie. I loved the music. I own every AT documentary and movie out there and I think that the biggest mistake is that most film makers don't show enough of the trail. Viewers want to see the trail. And even if people are talking and giving their views about why they are hiking or the dynamic of the hiking community, if you can just show the people a little bit, but show the scenery a lot with their voices as background, I think that works best. In my opinion.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    There ain't no such damn thing as the "Shennies".

Thank for the heads up. I'm in touch with our legal department now. From here on out all future "White Blaze Posts" will be sent over to the "Winged Mookey" for proof reading. Our quality control dept. will probably be in touch with you very soon. I know your tremendously busy here giving out all kinds of positive feedback, so I'll let you get back at it.

Nice video Heald,looking forward to the movie.I like the sound track to!very pleasant.

Journal Entries

Default great trailer.

Can't wait for the full feature.

nice start...cant wait to see more

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

An Appalachian Trail 2012 thru hiker named "Napoleon" gives his impressions while hiking from Georgia to Maine. Some of you may really like what he has to say.

During the first hiker narrative, I flashed back to my moniker on the trail- "Advance North!".

Thanks......

Napoleon for president. WOW that guy talks better than Obama and Romney put together and with a whole lot more passion

Great shots, good lighting, good sound. Same old story. Not much different than the other 8 AT hiking movies that I own (and watch 10 times a year). I would rather see the whole story of 1 or 2 hikers than occasional meetings with random hikers at various points of interest along the trail always on sunny bluebird days. It would be interesting to see some bad days too. Capture what it's like to set up a tarp tent in a driving rain storm or breaking camp after an overnight snowstorm. I look forward to purchasing a copy as soon as it comes out. Thank you.

Images

Hey Heald...that's a great interview! Hope you use it in the finished product. Napoleon does a great job explaining how we all feel at the end of the hike. Wish I could do as well telling others about that feeling and why we all hike.

I also like Moldy's suggestion. So many trail videos only show the good days and the good times. What about those days when hiking sucks? When we're tired, it's hot, or cold, or raining? What about the mental challenge it takes to get up every day and hike no matter what. What about a hiker who's struggling with the hike but somehow powers through? I think if you included those scenarios, it would give a much truer picture of what a hike really is.

Look forward to seeing the finished product!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Watched both trailers - can't wait to see the whole movie! It's been a long time since a new AT movie has come out (at least that I know of - a few years?) and would love to see a new one.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Great shots, good lighting, good sound. Same old story. Not much different than the other 8 AT hiking movies that I own (and watch 10 times a year). I would rather see the whole story of 1 or 2 hikers than occasional meetings with random hikers at various points of interest along the trail always on sunny bluebird days. It would be interesting to see some bad days too. Capture what it's like to set up a tarp tent in a driving rain storm or breaking camp after an overnight snowstorm. I look forward to purchasing a copy as soon as it comes out. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Hey Heald...that's a great interview! Hope you use it in the finished product. Napoleon does a great job explaining how we all feel at the end of the hike. Wish I could do as well telling others about that feeling and why we all hike.

I also like Moldy's suggestion. So many trail videos only show the good days and the good times. What about those days when hiking sucks? When we're tired, it's hot, or cold, or raining? What about the mental challenge it takes to get up every day and hike no matter what. What about a hiker who's struggling with the hike but somehow powers through? I think if you included those scenarios, it would give a much truer picture of what a hike really is.

Look forward to seeing the finished product!
    The film has kind of gone in a direction of it's own (partly). All of, (or at least most of) the ideas you've expressed are out of reach for me right now for an AT production (I have a day job, I am a Carpenter). But those kind of ideas are exactly on point with the same ideas I have, and the same ideas a lot of hikers have, whether they know it or not. I will say that my next project may be more on point with your ideas. It is a documentary of a 1996 thru hike that extended through the winter southbound, but that is for another day.

This current project does lack in almost all the aspects you mention, or want. I just really wanted to get the thru hiker voice out there. The feedback from people who know little about the AT has been overwhelming, and at times disconcerting, because some people expected thru hikers to be inarticulate and simple minded.
    One thing the film will not lack however is stunning cinematography. That I can deliver, because that is what I do probably better than anything I can. I've never interviewed anyone up until the production of this film.

I never intended to distribute this film. If the Travel Channel came to me again, and were interested in it, then so be it. But my intentions have been (from the start) to make the film free, and available to anyone. Fortunatly I have a fully Partnered You Tube Channel (link below) which allows me to upload as large a file as I want, so why the hell not. Maybe I consider it a way of giving back to the AT. A trail that has given me more than I could have ever imagined, and that ain't no bull.

Sweet Heald!

geek

++ New Posts ++