WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thomas Knob to Damascus Sites

Are there any additional campsites other than the ones I have listed here in between Thomas Knob and Damascus?
    0.0 Damascus, VA
    9.4 Saunders Shelter Side Trail, VA
    15.8 Lost Mountain Shelter, VA
    28.0 Thomas Knob Shelter, VA
    33.1 Wise Shelter, VA
    39.0 Old Orchard Shelter, VA
    44.0 Hurricane Mountain Shelter, VA
    53.1 Trimpi Shelter, VA
    63.7 Partnership Shelter, VA
    70.8 Chatfield Shelter, VA
    75.3 US11-Atkins, VA

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There is a great piped spring and several tentsites just south of the road in Elk Garden (~MP 21?).

You can camp at The Scales, about 5 miles north of Wise Shelter (MP 38), although I'm not sure if there is water there.

In 2007 I passed a new shelter that I recorded as Iron Mountain Shelter, which I would've placed at MP 44 where you have Hurricane Mountain. Not sure if they're the same.

There was an old shelter perhaps a mile south of Dickey Gap (MP 50?) that was removed but there was supposed to be tentsites and a spring there.

There are designated campsites near the crossing of the Holston River, about milepoint 56. Just south of there was a nice dry site along the trail. There is a flat area near a dirt road about 3 miles south of Partnership Shelter (milepoint 67), which is dry also.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

There's quite a few in that stretch. Comes to mind that there's a rather large tent site area at the intersection of a blue blaze for the highland horse trail below Thomas Knob Shelter about 4 miles south. Also quite a few spots along the creek there at Wise shelter both inside and outside the fence. Scales has plenty of space available, but the closest water I know of is at Wise shelter. I would often cook dinner at Wise, then camel up and fill my bladders with water, then hike up to scales and dry camp for the night.

Images

I haven't checked recently, but there should be water at Scales. Just as you leave the corral NoBo there is a fenced spring down over the hill. Also down the road on your right about 50yds past the cattle guard (a good half mile round trip though). Sometimes the corral "host" has a hose from a spring set up. I recently camped across the field on Brier Ridge right in front of Mt Rogers that had a great view of the mountain that I hadn't experienced in recent memory.

pony rogers.jpg

brier grass.jpg

Default Thomas Knob to Damascus Sites

I was at the scales in April. The was a water hose coming from a spring. We still had to filter it but it was nice to have nearby.

++ New Posts ++