WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tarp Help

Default Tarp Help

This is my first post, so hopefully I have posted in the right area. To provide a little background, I have been backpacking for several years. I continue to work on getting my pack weight down as low as possible. I have currently gotten my big 4 down to around 7.5 lbs (Western Mountaineering bag 1lb 5oz, GoLite Jam pack 1lb 14oz, Big Agnes Pad 1lb 9oz, REI Tarp 1lb 5oz, Integral Designs Bug net 1lb 5oz ---- yes I know that's 5 items). My next step is switching to a lighter tarp. My REI tarp is 6’9” x 9’ and weighs 21oz. I used this for the first time a couple weeks ago and it worked great. The only worry that I have is the length. I don’t feel that I have adequate coverage in the event of rain. Also, I would like to have extra room to the side for my pack and my son’s pack. I have been looking online at the 10’ x 12’ tarps and feel that it would suit my needs the best for about the same weight (and in many cases lighter than my current tarp). I have looked at many different manufacturers and need some guidance on the best all-around ---- weight, quality and cost. I have looked at the Integral Designs, Equinox, OES, Gossamear Gear, Granite Gear, Warbonnet, Jack's r Better, and Etowah. I am hoping some of you can give me feedback on any tarp that you may have used. As of now, I am leaning toward the Integral Designs Siltarp 3.

One suggestion ,for the size, is to buy a painter's drop sheet (10'x12' is a size available here...) and set that up to see if the size works for you.
    They are only a few dollars and you can always use some of it as a groundsheet.
    (just tape the corners and don't put too much tension on it...)
    Franco

I have an Equinox 10x12. It's about 7 years old. Was great until ridgeline grommet ripped out.

Get a tarp with webbing loops.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I would check out www.bearpawwd.com and get them to do a custom tarp, if you are worried about the length (spray, wind) they can do beaks as well. Relatively inexpensive in my view and they do custom work.

Also check out www.mountainlaureldesigns.com

Thanks Franco. I will definitely give that a shot to make sure the size is right before I order.

Images

Oware 8' x 10' works for me, lots of room for gear, cooking and a dog. Best detailing on the tie outs that I've seen, etc and if you wanna get stupid expensive Dave is happy to make cuben tarps.

On the adequate length issue it does pay to look at the weather and decide how tall you want to pitch your tarp. Higher in good weather, low and tight if it looks like it might get nasty.

I'm not a fan of shaped tarps. Flat tarps can be pitched in a variety of ways, A-frame, flying diamond, etc. Tried one of Dave's catenary cut tarp, still have it, but disliked the fact there was only one way to pitch it.

YMMV.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Thanks Tinker. The Equinox brand is the only one that is carried in stock by a shop near me, so it is the only one I have seen up close. Thanks for the warning on the grommets.

Stranger, Thanks for the additional options. I will check them out today.

Two Speed, thanks. I was wondering what the pros are of the shaped tarps. The main one that I see is that they can be setup tighter. I didn't have any trouble setting up my flat tarp fairly tight, but there were still a little sag.

i have an Appy Trails Mark 3 and it is great. Tons of room, closes up completly and weights about 19oz Fits my girl friend, our yellow lab, and me just fine

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dcbackpacker View Post
    . . . I didn't have any trouble setting up my flat tarp fairly tight, but there were still a little sag.
    I cheat and use triple loops of shock cord to attach the stakes semi-permanently to the corners. Makes getting a taut set up quick and easy. Does mean a little re-rigging if I don't want to use an A-frame set up.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

I'm a tarp junky and have quite a few of both regular rectangle and shaped tarps. A lot of the decision making process will come with what you expect out of your tarp. For example I have some very small cuben tarps that their only purpose is to keep direct rain off of me that I always use with a bivy. Then I have tarps like the MLD solomid that are more like a tent without the bug netting or floor. Then there are those tarps that are more like tents like the Zpacks Hexamid with a complete bugnet floor.

If you still aren' sold on the tarp idea or don't want to shell out the cash for the more expensive shelters, try one of the smaller cottage industry guys and have them make you something in Silnylon. You can work out a system and not spent a great amount of money, and then later on if you decide to go even lighter, you'll have a better idea of what you expect and need out of a tarp.

Campmor 10 x 12 silnylon-16oz.-$79

geek

Here is one that cost me just a few dollars..
    FD1-tarp-mk-II.jpg
    size.jpg
    not that useful to figure out the exact fabric measurements but you get the idea of the size you need.
    Obviously a flat tarp is a bit easier than that too...

This is what I use....

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/...scout-tarp.jsp

The price is currently $65 Canadian.

The co-op also sells other styles, and brands (including Integral Designs); just follow the link.

I started with a Moss Starlet, then went to SD Clip Flashlight, SD Lightning, and MEC regular nylon Scout prior to this.

Tents are probably best in winter, but for three season use a tarp is all you need.

CG

OES is closed, don't go there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    OES is closed, don't go there
    Brian is back in business. OES is a great company.

Images

oes has not been a great company imo. i'd stay away. at least once a month there is a "has anyone heard from brian" thread, followed by a story of a tarp paid for and promised by may 18th. then june comes and no tarp and no reply to emails. his tarps are very high quality, but so are many others.

personally i'd keep my eyes peeled for a used one at either hammockforums or backpackinglight. they come up as many people are shifting to cuban...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

A few options: Find a builder or builder supply house. The black under lay plastic they put down before the pour the foundation of a house, works well and you cand make it any shape. When it comes off the roll you may think it is only 4 feet wide....not.... it will unfold to 15 feet. When you see the concrete guys putting down the plastic go ask for a small piece. I hear the house rap....TYVEK works as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    oes has not been a great company imo. i'd stay away. at least once a month there is a "has anyone heard from brian" thread, followed by a story of a tarp paid for and promised by may 18th. then june comes and no tarp and no reply to emails. his tarps are very high quality, but so are many others.

personally i'd keep my eyes peeled for a used one at either hammockforums or backpackinglight. they come up as many people are shifting to cuban...

I see lot's of threads about cottage manufacturers not making deadlines. Some of my favorite companies couldn't be on time to save their lives, but I accept that high quality gear made in spare bedrooms comes at a price. If you want it quick or in time for a fast approaching trip, order ahead or order from the mass producers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, so YMMV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++