WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Legal Camping Spots in NJ

I'm planning a section hike from Wind Gap north to NY55 and am a bit concerned about the distance from DWG to Brinks Rd. Shelter. I see that AMC's Mohican outdoor center is only about 11 miles or so from DWG but that's not far enough to stay on pace. Then again, Brinks Rd is 26 miles and still on the rocks so that's too far. Anyone know of any legal campsites about 6-8 miles south of Brinks Rd. shelter?

No,I don't believe there are any,that's alway's been a tricky area up there,and also has a ridge runner to remind you that your camping illegaly,theer use to be Two backpacker sites(twenty yrs.ago) but they were more of an over flow for each other and really weren't that far apart to make them a viable stop either way of travel.Maybe check out this site
    http://www.nynjtc.org/

Oops misinterpeted your question,see posts below
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-30-2012 at 15:16.

Images

I believe there is a campsite(Buttermilk Falls?) that is about 4 miles south of Brinks Road Shelter. Not sure of the legality of this spot, but I have camped there before.

In Awols book there is a campsite listed at mile marker 1304 that is about 17 miles north of the Delaware Water Gap,and about 6 miles before brink road shelter.Do you have Awols guide book? or The Hikers Companion from ALDHA

http://www.theATguide.com
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-30-2012 at 15:17.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Have THC from ALDHA

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    In Awols book there is a campsite listed at mile marker 1304 that is about 17 miles north of the Delaware Water Gap,and about 6 miles before brink road shelter.Do you have Awols guide book? or The Hikers Companion from ALDHA

http://www.theATguide.com
    No, I don't have Awol's guide but I do have the Companion for 2012 from ALDHA. It does refer to a grassy area suitable for camping at mile point 1305.4. Is this what you're referring to?

uno momento

uno momento
    Yep,gotta be the one Jersey Joe is talking about.Blue Mountain road,butter milk falls,grassy knowl,there's someplace for you to lay your head.Have a great hike!

and just for some clarification.Blue lakes rd is where there is camping via off trail old building pad,Butter milk falls is a little bit further,as this is listed in/on the Appalachian trail guide book map/combo.either way way there is something in that area for you,but the three guides list each a little differently,not a big deal.And as always HYOHand have a great time.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-30-2012 at 16:00. Reason: clairification

I would recommend staying at the Mohican center (free for thru hikers, just pretend). Doing that allows you to linger at the water gap in the morning and then take a nice swim in the pond near the center later that afternoon. The walk from the Mohican center to High Point shelter is really easy, so you can do that the next day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I would recommend staying at the Mohican center (free for thru hikers, just pretend). Doing that allows you to linger at the water gap in the morning and then take a nice swim in the pond near the center later that afternoon. The walk from the Mohican center to High Point shelter is really easy, so you can do that the next day.
    That's pretty funny comin from you Slo-Go'en(26 miles)I think you and me should switch handels,cause there ain't nothing fast about these rocketsocks
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-30-2012 at 16:19.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There are several good camping spots where the Buttermilk Falls Trail intersects with AT. I camped there last year. No water though unless you hike down to the falls.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

I am fairly new to hiking the AT and my son and I are looking at finishing NJ on our next section hike by going south from culver gap and I was noticing the same problem with the spacing of shelters. So what is the deal with camping off the trail? I know it is not allowed in most of NJ but I also hear of plenty of sites to do so listed above. What is the real deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
    I am fairly new to hiking the AT and my son and I are looking at finishing NJ on our next section hike by going south from Culver gap and I was noticing the same problem with the spacing of shelters. So what is the deal with camping off the trail? I know it is not allowed in most of NJ but I also hear of plenty of sites to do so listed above. What is the real deal?
    Hmm...Ya know,i gotta think that if it is listed in/or on a map your fine,I can't see anyone giving you a hard time when your just following what has been published.If you do not have any of the above mentioned books or maps and have a specific place in mind,I'd be happy to look it up for you,or give me a PM...either way.

there is a campsite on my map (North side of the trail about half way between brink road shelter and Blue mountain lakes rd.when traveling south)that was not discussed in our earlier posts.I too would have no compunction to stay there.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-31-2012 at 01:15. Reason: and just because now I'm curious!

Images

Yep,gotta be the one Jersey Joe is talking about.Blue Mountain road,butter milk falls,grassy knowl,there's someplace for you to lay your head.Have a great hike!

and just for some clarification.Blue lakes rd is where there is camping via off trail old building pad,Butter milk falls is a little bit further,as this is listed in/on the Appalachian trail guide book map/combo.either way way there is something in that area for you,but the three guides list each a little differently,not a big deal.And as always HYOHand have a great time.
    Something else to keep in mind is that there really are no good camping spots north of Blue Mountain Lakes Road and the Buttermilk Falls campsite. The terrain is rocky, not flat and the trees are dense. There is also a sign at the road that says no camping for the next few miles. The campsite was marked with a camping sign, so, I'd assume it is legal. It is just north of the Buttermilk trail.
    There is no water at this site.

The 3ish miles south of Blue Mtn. Lakes Road is very flat, the trail is wide, flat and grassy. An old road I believe. There are plenty of places to camp along that part of the trail, though many spots are marked as no camping. I want to say that eventually there is a spot where camping is legal there, but I'm not certain.

Finally, I have had mixed luck with being able to get water out of the pump at Blue Mtn. Lakes Road. Twice in the past couple years the pump handle was not there making the pump useless. I'm not sure if this is vandalism or done purposely for some reason. Without the pump working properly, getting water in this section will be tricky!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Something else to keep in mind is that there really are no good camping spots north of Blue Mountain Lakes Road and the Buttermilk Falls campsite.
    What I meant to say is... there really are no good camping spots north of Blue Mountain Lakes Road UNTIL the Buttermilk Falls campsite.

That's pretty funny comin from you Slo-Go'en(26 miles)I think you and me should switch handels,cause there ain't nothing fast about these rocketsocks
    Umm, I should have looked at the book I forget the exact sequence of camping spots we used when going through there in '08, but I know we stopped at the Mohican center the first day out of DWG. I guess the next stop would be Brink road shelter, 14 miles north. After that, the shelters are fairly close together.

In any event, once on the ridge, the hiking is pretty easy so doing reasonably big miles isn't that hard depending on how hot and humid it is and threat of afternoon T storms. I did this section at the start of a 10 day heat wave in the middle of July. It was brutal but I was with some thru-hikers I knew and they made me do 20 mile days anyway. Getting up at dawn helped.

The rocky ridge line combined with the lack of water except at shelters (if your lucky) kind of forces you to at least stop at all the shelters. So, unless your willing to carry a LOT of water for a dry camp, I'd plan on staying at the shelters.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Correct me if I'm wrong but you must camp in designated places in NJ. Just go slower, enjoy the scenery at Sunfish Pond and stay at Mohican Trail Center. No brainer. May actually enjoy a slow relaxing pace... (wow a novel idea!)
    And yes we have (3) ridgerunners out there in NJ, great guys too...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I just went through this area last week. I stayed at the Mohican Outdoor Center, which was pretty nice. They have a bunch of tent sites for a fee, and drinking water from a faucet. As for spots in between the MOC and Brinks Rd. Shelter I only remember a couple. There were a couple of spots off the dirt road that junctions with 602. I saw a guy set up on one of them, but I am not sure if they are legal spots or not. Also, the water here may be sketchy as it appears to be the outlet of a pond or marsh. The other spot that's marked on the ATC map (I have the 2007 version) is the spot mentioned by other posters at the junction with the trail that goes to Buttermilk Falls. I really can't remember any details on what this site looked like, and water would probably need to be carried to it from somewhere else.

Great posting all,sounds like what is needed here is a RECON,perhaps this will be my next trip beit DAY/Multi DAY/OR Multi Multi Weekend DAY...hike.

Here are the regs: with the exception of when the trail is in the Delaware Water Gap NRA, camping is limited to the 7 shelters and the Backpacker Campsite near Sunfish Pond. Within the DWGNRA (from about 8 miles north of the Delaware River to about 1 mile south of the side trail to Brink Road Shelter), dispersed camping is allowed, however there are some restrictions. No camping is allowed within 0.5 miles of either side of the three road crossings in the NRA(Camp, Millbrook-Blairstown aka Rt 602 and Blue Mountain Lakes Roads) and in the entire stretch between Blue Mtn Lakes Road and the junction of the A.T. and the Buttermilk Falls Trail. That makes the stretch between 0.5 south of BML Road and the Buttermilk Falls Trail around 3 miles. The NRA also limits camping to within 200 feet of the trail. Hope this helps.

Bob S
    ATC

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    Here are the regs: with the exception of when the trail is in the Delaware Water Gap NRA, camping is limited to the 7 shelters and the Backpacker Campsite near Sunfish Pond. Within the DWGNRA (from about 8 miles north of the Delaware River to about 1 mile south of the side trail to Brink Road Shelter), dispersed camping is allowed, however there are some restrictions. No camping is allowed within 0.5 miles of either side of the three road crossings in the NRA(Camp, Millbrook-Blairstown aka Rt 602 and Blue Mountain Lakes Roads) and in the entire stretch between Blue Mtn Lakes Road and the junction of the A.T. and the Buttermilk Falls Trail. That makes the stretch between 0.5 south of BML Road and the Buttermilk Falls Trail around 3 miles. The NRA also limits camping to within 200 feet of the trail. Hope this helps.

Bob S
    ATC
    Hey that's great Bob,thanks for posting that.I'm assuming that came from The State Parks and Rec Dept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++