WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Are individual members being hacked?

I've noticed over the past few days that some members are 'posting' the same response on multiple threads. Are we at risk of being hacked? ...I guess I mean this question for a moderator/administrator, but thought it would be nice for everyone to get an answer.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It has been reported.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

There's also been more spammers opening accounts, usually in the middle of the night from Asia.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

Angry Looks that way

My WB new messages RSS feed today has about 50 spam messages advertizing DVD's. Looks like somebody got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    I've noticed over the past few days that some members are 'posting' the same response on multiple threads. Are we at risk of being hacked? ...I guess I mean this question for a moderator/administrator, but thought it would be nice for everyone to get an answer.
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

Images

Usually, these spammers are noticed by active WBers, who immediately report at least one of the posts/threads, then the Moderators jump right on it. The powers that be on WB do a great job of kicking spammers off.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Usually, these spammers are noticed by active WBers, who immediately report at least one of the posts/threads, then the Moderators jump right on it. The powers that be on WB do a great job of kicking spammers off.

Rain Man

I agree,each time I report spam,poof,gone,easy like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

Yes the Moderators do a fantastic job. I reported it late last night as soon as it started. I see the posts have quit, but it is still on the who's online list. I'm sure they're working on it as we speak. (post)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Rather than start a new Thread,and have it get gone,I'll say this here.In an attempt to push all that Spam along,I bumped,rather that click-on/or open( it my limited terminology & understanding of the difference )Relizing now this does no good but to push the spam under the carpet.I would be glad in the future to open each and every piece and report,if that is what the moderators recomend.Sorry for the ............. and I'm confident that this whole temporary condition is just that,Temporary.

It's most likely a database vulnerability or vbulletin exploit on this site that's being hit. It's possible to steal, bypass, or change user passwords under certain conditions. In this case, if users are still able to post but their accounts are also being used for spam, it's most likely one of the first two. Hopefully users set different passwords for their email accounts and forum accounts, or both could be compromised through password stealing. I work in the field and, if I had time and authorization, could probably help assess and prevent the situation. Common stuff, and there are known and easily exploitable vulnerabilities in the version of vbulletin that this site appears to be running.

++ New Posts ++