WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Youngest /oldest tru hikers.

I would like to know who is the youngest and the oldest tru hikers.

AT Youngest Oldest I think there was a 10 year old boy finished. Cimarron for the oldest?

PCT youngest Don't say Sunshine oldest ????

CDT youngest oldest?????

Anyone know?

Why not say Sunshine? She is the youngest to hike the entire PCT. We thought it was a 10 year old in 2004, but after reading her mothers book, we learned that they skipped many sections of the trail. An 8 year old girl is attempting to beat the record this year, and she is doing great. So the answer to your question may change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    Why not say Sunshine? She is the youngest to hike the entire PCT. We thought it was a 10 year old in 2004, but after reading her mothers book, we learned that they skipped many sections of the trail. An 8 year old girl is attempting to beat the record this year, and she is doing great. So the answer to your question may change soon.
    Hello Balls to WhiteBlaze. Are you the Balls of Balls and Sunshine fame? Will Sunshine be the youngest Triple-Crowner?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Default Youngest /oldest tru hikers.

Does anyone know for sure if Cimarron made it? Just curious, I spent some time with him on the trail last year around Woods Hole.
    Rebel

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Wait - did you mean true hiker or thru hiker? I'm confused.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Default Youngest PCT hiker

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Hello Balls to WhiteBlaze. Are you the Balls of Balls and Sunshine fame? Will Sunshine be the youngest Triple-Crowner?
    Yes, I am. Thank you for the welcome.
    Bob the builder, explaine your question please?

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    Yes, I am. Thank you for the welcome.
    Bob the builder, explaine your question please?
    I think Bob is making a punny about the typo.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if Cimarron made it? Just curious, I spent some time with him on the trail last year around Woods Hole.
    Nope, unfortunately not.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11863
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Thank you for the reply and the weblink. I looked at the pictures and read the journal....very impressive. After leaving him, close to Woods Hole Hostel, his plan was to flip flop and begin walking south. I didn't spend much time with him, but the time I did, he made a lasting impression on me. Any word on him trying again this year?
    Rebel

To bad for Cimarron but I thought he tru hiked when he was younger like 80. I will see if I can find that out. Sunshine is not the youngest PCT tru hiker her Dad even admits that. What is the name of the girl hiking this year? I did find a boy who hiked the AT last year and is now hiking the PCT. Chili& Pepper. He is hiking with his dad. Not sure how old maybe 12. Not sure if he is doing the CDT next year.
    Not a big fan of Balls and Sunshine saw them at NOC. I do applaud any one that hikes and a Triple Crowner is a great think no matter how old or young. I have met alot of older and younger people hiking more in the middle 20-27.

Balls I saw a video on you and Sunshiine and you said the other girl was 6 months younger so you are now saying she didn't tru hike? Do you know the oldest PCT tru hiker?

Thanks for being a big fan Sweetspot. Sunshine is the youngest PCT hiker and I am her father. You might be refering to the OPB episode where I credited Mary Chambers as the youngest at 10 because that was their claim. However, if you read her mothers book as I now have, Zero Days, you will see where they skipped several sections of the PCT with any snow or high water. When Sunshine spent 7 hours climbing a snow covered mountain that Mary walked around on a 2 mile stretch of Hwy, that's when we stoped giving Mary credit for a record. You can read my copy if you like.
    The ATC in Harper's Ferry has a picture of an 8 year old boy who Thru-hiked on their wall. Chilli was 11 and is now 13. He plans to hike the CDT next year and we hope to hike with them.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Yes Atmilkman, Sunshine does intend to attempt the CDT next year at age 13. I will support that if she still wants it after this trail. Of course, with the difficulty of the CDT there are no guarantees of sucsess. We'll just take it one step at a time. Thanks for your positive support. As you know, this thru-hiking is 90% mental strength.

Good Luck maybe one day I can get a picture taken with Sunshine. Do you know anything about or were I can find out the oldest hikers?

Unfortunatly ALDAH dosen't recognize personal records and no other agency does either. It's more of a word of mouth/Internet rumor system. So there realy isn't much prestige to it. Wikapedia might have some opinions on the subject.
    On a side note, I remember meeting you on the bridge of NOC and remember it being a pleasant exchange. I don't know where the animosity is coming from. We don't think we're anymore special than any other hiker out here. I just want to do somthing special for my daughter that she will always remember. We hope to inspire others to do the same (not nessesarly thru-hiking).

I didn't meet you I just happen to see you. I didn't think I had any animosity towards anyone. I think you have given hiking any kind of hiking good publicity for other people to get out and hike. I am doing a project on Tru- hiking and was trying to get some facts. So I guess there is no facts. I did look up Mary Chambers and her PCT was in 2004 the same year of Scott Williamson yoyo and he did not follow the PCT route for the same reason Mary didn't. So I am confused did he do a yoyo or not?

If you remember any hikers that would fit the oldest hikers please let me know. Good luck

The Glacier Peak detoure in Washington was an Oficial reroute signed by the FS. That makes it the Oficial route for the year. Scott always holds himself to the designated route, he never road walks or skips to avoid difficulty. Of course his yo yo counts. Mary's family skipped around many mountains, ridges and streams that they decided were too much for them. Missing many miles of the designated route for the year. I Personaly section hiked through a section that year in Oregon that they decided was too difficult for them and had no problems and it was not detoured. When going for a record, shouldn't everyone take the same route as allowed by the forest service. Where do you draw the line on skipping? Some hiked close to 500 miles of Hwy 395 last year to avoid snow in the Sierra. Should that be allowed for a speed record?

Images

Sweetspot,

Here is a link to Cimarron's Trailjournal. It includes his email address. Perhaps he can tell you who the oldest thruhiker is.

Cimarron stayed with us a couple of times last year mostly to recover from injuries on the trail. One episode involved an unleased dog coming down the trail and knocking him off a spillery bog bridge here in Vermont. I hope to be as active and mentally strong as Cimarron when I'm 88 !!!!

http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11863
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-03-2012 at 06:25.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

So, who is the oldest AT through hiker? It might even be Cimmaron on a previous hike.
    In the Barefoot Sisters: southbound, the sisters traveled quite a way with a family with young children(the Family from the North). One of those children might be a contender for youngest AT though hiker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++