WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    ... and because, at the end of a long day, trying to get your line over a limb provides MUCH entertainment!
    It is hilarious when that stick, rock, cup comes around and smacks you in the teeth!!

Images

I hang my food most of the time on my hike Amicalola to Erwin. I slept with it in my tent on a couple of occasions (Rocky Mountain, a spot north of NOC, and then a spot before Erwin) and felt completely safe doing so.

Images

I used to hang my food, but not anymore. I do use the OPsaks.
    The first time or 2 i used my food bag as a pillow, I was a bit nervous,
    analyzing every sound I heard. Now, I try to eat supper at least an hour or
    more before I stop for the night. Now, I get the tent up & crash, no worries!

Could I get mauled, yes, but I have never really been much of a "what if" kind of person.
    If you are not doing anything stupid, you should be fine.

Images

I had a bear rip my tent and invite himself in while I was sleeping. He almost landed on top of me. My wife yelled for me to do something. I hit him in the nose and he took off and then I went back to sleep. True story. We had never eaten in the tent or even had candy or gum wrappers in the tent. My wife was on her period and that's the only reason we could figure for the bear coming in. The patch we put on the side made for a nice story in case anyone wondered about it.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    It is hilarious when that stick, rock, cup comes around and smacks you in the teeth!!
    or when you forget to hold the other end and it goes sailing off through the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    or when you forget to hold the other end and it goes sailing off through the woods...
    ... and hits a bear on the ass, who eats it.

I sleep with my food most of the time on the AT. I try to NEVER leave my food unattended. I def never put my food in my tent and go chat at the shelter. My food comes with me.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

10-K My food bag is part of my sleeping system (pillow).
    Was that you at the Watauga Lake shelter a few years ago that the bear got your pillow????? Sometimes I hang my food bad PCT and sometimes I keep it hung from my hammock depending where I am.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    I want to know if it is a myth or fact. Would a beer come in your tent for your food if you're in it sleeping? Is the best thing to always hang your food?
    Uhh one on the trail should avoid beer unless the trail leads to a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Would a beer come in your tent for your food if you're in it sleeping

If a beer comes into my tent, it's gonna get drank and that will be the end of that beer.
    Once again, very astute.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I've never had a rodent or any other type animal chew a hole in my tent..yes I know it's a possibility, but it's also a possibility for them to get at it when hanging. I know at shelters it's near 100% chance they'll get your food if you don't hang it properly, but it's different in a tent (away from the rodent-infested shelters).

Although, I did one time (on a bike trip) have something start digging into my tent (seemed about the size of a raccon) I wacked it with my saw and it never came back I also one time had something eat my shoe laces in my vestibule, I now always bring my shoe in my tent also.

I don't worry about damage to my tent -- that's why I carry duct tape
    YEA ONE LUKY GUY... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. Whats a raccon?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I had one friend have his tent ripped open by a bear. If I see bear signs I'll hang it. Bear problems are caused by improper food storage, that includes bad hanging.

Bear problems are NOT caused by keeping possession of your food.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Bears lean. Have seen an increase of bears going into tents & getting food. Look at Yosemite where bears have learned to break into car. A proper hang takes time but worth it to keep from feeding bears. Of the WB members that got there food stolen around Neel's admit they didn't do a good hang. As long as there are people like that around you should be safe with food in your tent. But when the bears learn how easy it is to take food from tents. I'm going to hate you when I have to carry a container.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike:1294909
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Bears lean. Have seen an increase of bears going into tents & getting food. Look at Yosemite where bears have learned to break into car. A proper hang takes time but worth it to keep from feeding bears. Of the WB members that got there food stolen around Neel's admit they didn't do a good hang. As long as there are people like that around you should be safe with food in your tent. But when the bears learn how easy it is to take food from tents. I'm going to hate you when I have to carry a container.
    I had dog that used to lean against the wall.

Images

I sleep w/ my food. Never a problem.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

If a bear is willing to come into an occupied tent to take your food, why wouldn't that bear take it from you when it's on your back in your pack? If it's dangerous to sleep with your food, it's dangerous to even carry it IMHO.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I sleep w/ my food. Never a problem.
    Yet....(12345678910)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Do you mean that the existance of bears in NE is a myth, or they simply aren't a threat to your dinner? I sleep with my food in NE, but I can assure you that bears exist. I cant keep a bird feeder at my suburban home due to black bears. I have had a bear cross my path on the blue blaze trails 4 times in the past few years. I was running a cliff trail and a baby bear popped up the cliff onto my narrow trail. I stopped 15 feet from the cub. Mama bear then crawled up the cliff, threw the cub up a tree and stood up on her hind legs in what appeared to be a threatening gesture. I yielded the trail to the critters and made pretty good time on the trail home that day. I later researched that black bear attacks are EXTREMELY rare. Researchers have been known to tag the ear of a cub while the mom watched. These are very different from the bear stories we have all heard from the wild west. I wouldnt try to tag the ear of a grizzlly cub, and I'd certainly hang an odor proof bag for my food in grizzly territory.

I put my recyclables out at the end of the driveway last night for pick early this morning and a little while later heard a crash of bottles. Went out to check it out and saw a skinny bear cub running down the street and then into woods and up a trail which is 100 yards from my place. Oh yeah, there are bears out in the woods...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    If a bear is willing to come into an occupied tent to take your food, why wouldn't that bear take it from you when it's on your back in your pack? If it's dangerous to sleep with your food, it's dangerous to even carry it IMHO.
    For the same reasons you don't hear stories about rodents chewing holes into packs of moving hikers, but plenty while they're in camp.

Images

Could Hammockers comment on what they do with their food? I bring mine in my tent but a hammock seems a little more vulnerable. I am thinking of making the switch to hammocks, but wonder if that means I will need to start hanging my food.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++