WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just finished Schuttes Book " White Blaze Fever"

I really liked it, but not as well as Rubins book. Can someone recommend another book on the AT.
    thanks

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArkVol
    I really liked it, but not as well as Rubins book. Can someone recommend another book on the AT.
    thanks
    Ive heard Model T's book is good and I want to read it one of these days. Here are a few others:

Alt, Jeff. A Walk for Sunshine. Cincinnati, Ohio: Dreams Shared Publications, 2000.

Berger, Jeff. Hiking the Triple Crown. Seattle, Washington: The Mountaineers Books, 2001.

Brill, David. As Far as the Eye Can See. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 1990.

Bruce, Dan. The Thru-Hiker’s Handbook. Hot Springs, North Carolina: Center for Appalachian Trail Studies, 2000.

Bruce, Dan. The Thru-Hiker’s Planning Guide. Hot Springs, North Carolina: Center for Appalachian Trail Studies, 1994.

Bryson, Bill. A Walk in the Woods. New York: Broadway Books, 1998.

Chazin, Daniel D. Appalachian Trail Data Book 2000. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 2000.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: A Journey of Discovery. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1991.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: How to Prepare For and Hike It. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1995.

Curran, Jan D. The Appalachian Trail: Onward to Katahdin. Highland City, Florida: Rainbow Books, Inc., 1999.

Flack, James M. and Hertha E. Flack. Ambling and Scrambling on the Appalachian Trail. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 1981.

Fletcher, Colin and Chip Rawlins. The Complete Walker IV. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2002.

Highsmith, Carol M. and Ted Landphair. Appalachian Trail: A Photographic Tour. New York: Crescent Books, 1999.

Jardine, Ray. Beyond Backpacking. Arizona City, Arizona: Adventure Lore Press, 2001.

Miller, Aurthur P. and Marjorie L. Miller. Trails Across America. Golden, Colorado: Fulcrum Publishing, 1996.

Mueser, Roland. Long-Distance Hiking. Camden, Maine: Ragged Mountain Press, 1998.

Rubin, Robert Alden. On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage. New York: The Lyons Press, 2000.

Setzer, Lynn. A Season on the Appalachian Trail. Birmingham, Alabama: Menasha Ridge Press, 1997.

Whalen, Christopher. Appalachian Trail Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes. Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia: Appalachian Trail Conference, 2000.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Definitely take a look at Model T's Walking on the Happy Side of Misery.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Just a thought: Perhaps we could have an "AT Books" piece in the Featured Articles section. Title, Author, Brief Description. Maybe even post a link for each that would somehow search/refer to previous threads... hmm...

To add to above, I would recommend The Appalachian Trail Reader, ed. David Emblidge. Lots of different excerpts from American/ AT-related thinkers and also some good readings from trail diaries & trip reports.
    -Mark

Try E.V. Shaffer's "Walking With Spring"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default AT books galore

Earthworm, a recently retired librarian from FSU, has compiled just about every book (and video) about the AT out there:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_fac...bliography.htm

If you know of an AT book or video that is not on the list, let her know!

My own personal favorite is:

Emblidge, David. The Appalachian Trail Reader. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996.

A little of everything: history, geology, writings by famous authors, philosophy, thru-hiker accounts. It really represents all facets of the trail.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-11-2005 at 11:15. Reason: typos

I really liked Mick Lowers book, the twist at the end really fooled me.

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

Another new one just out this past year is "When Straitjacket Met Golden Sun." Available thru ATC. Excellent!
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

There are some online journal/book type things out there. Search for a thread I started on boring journal articles, there were a few responses re: these online books/stories. George Steffanos had a good one: Then the Hail Came. http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Yahoo...finally a post I can edit.
    Last edited by saimyoji; 04-11-2005 at 23:18. Reason: because i could

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    Just a thought: Perhaps we could have an "AT Books" piece in the Featured Articles section. Title, Author, Brief Description. Maybe even post a link for each that would somehow search/refer to previous threads... hmm...
    Excellent idea - this is not the first AT book thread - and I'm sure it won't be the last - but a book review article section would be nice...
    So be it.
    --John

Images

I also recommend Model T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" Very entertaining.

The very first journal/book I read on the AT was "Then the Hail Came" Still have it in my favorite places. It was excellent.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Long Trail '04
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Try E.V. Shaffer's "Walking With Spring"
    Great book. Gives you an amazing flavor of different (and tough) the trail was back in the early days.

Walking With Spring is a must read, IMO.
    Then The Hail Came is terrific, too.

Long Trail '04
    Images

Another good one is Blind Courage. If you think you've had some tough hikes, just read about what Bill Irwin went through.

You'll never bitch about a rainy day again...

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

Default Update on Backcountry Bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Earthworm, a recently retired librarian from FSU, has compiled just about every book (and video) about the AT out there:
    http://friends.backcountry.net/m_fac...bliography.htm
    If you know of an AT book or video that is not on the list, let her know!
    Quick update on this thread. The bibliography has been expanded to cover many more trails, and there are a lot of new books in the AT memoirs category. the new URL is http://friends.backcountry.net/m_fac...bliography.htm. Sometime next week, a section will be added for The Long Trail.

++ New Posts ++