WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Journey VS Destination...

Everyone has a different style. I like to take my time hiking, backpacking, enjoy the scenery and not worry too much about how fast I am going or how many miles I am covering. I know a lot of people are concearned with how many miles they hike or making it to a certain destination( it is easier for me, since I tent camp and dont have to wait to get to a shelter).

What are your thoughts? For you, is it about the journey, or the destination? And why?

Run, hike, bike, chill.

I'd be willing to say both. I enjoy the journey to the destination because it's the journey that matters most in the end.

I like to hike- so I tend to keep moving until it is dark or I get to a spot that I decided a head of time is a good place to end. I too use a tent and have mastered the art of setting up almost anywhere. Sometimes I get sucked into the miles - I like to cover ground, but I like having the flexibility to stop and enjoy an unexpected adventure or beauty spot.

Thing is - hiking big miles is not about hiking faster, but just hiking longer each day. More time walking = more miles covered. To me the journey is a big big part of the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I like to hike- so I tend to keep moving until it is dark or I get to a spot that I decided a head of time is a good place to end. I too use a tent and have mastered the art of setting up almost anywhere. Sometimes I get sucked into the miles - I like to cover ground, but I like having the flexibility to stop and enjoy an unexpected adventure or beauty spot.

Thing is - hiking big miles is not about hiking faster, but just hiking longer each day. More time walking = more miles covered. To me the journey is a big big part of the destination.
    Well stated. Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Like life it is all about the journey ---

Journal Entries
    Images

It makes your hike more enjoyable if you have the ability to stop and camp when you want to. If you come by a nice spot to spend the night, just do so.
    Grampie-N->2001

journey, when you reach the destination your hike is over...

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

More about the journey...of course being a hammock camper....there are lots of places to stop for the afternoon or the night. When I tent camp, not so much.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

++ New Posts ++