WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Does hiking make you smarter ?

Apparently there has been research done, and the finding suggests that hiking stimulates the neurons in the brain.
    The researchers who designed this experiment suggest that exposure to nature and the great outdoors causes significant changes in brain function.
    These changes cause you to think more clearly, focus with more clarity, and ultimately maximize cognitive ability.

I should hike more... lord knows I need more brain power.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Oh, I thought you meant "by comparison".

Never mind.............
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

...........Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ...........Huh?
    There's my proof...........

I'm not sure it would be a far stretch from the truth. While hiking you use your mind a lot more, perform basic math and problem solving skills fairly often; and while walking your brain is free to actually think and not just become flooded with inputs- books, wikipedia, tv, radios, someone on the phone... etc When faced with questions while hiking, you are more apt to think about it without using google, or any other reference information you fancy.

I know there are a lot of studies that show metal engagement, solving puzzles, etc... is very beneficial, so I can believe it. On a long distance hike, you are also exercising using your cognitive abilities, even if you don't realize it or think about it. You are constantly assessing your surroundings - monitoring the weather, looking for animals or signs of animals, looking for trail markers, and adjusting your clothing layers. You are planning ahead so you have water, food, a place to sleep. You are interacting with new people you meet on the trail - social interactions require a lot of brain power. You have to deal with the unexpected, plan for the unforeseen, and solve problems. And if you do these things badly, the outcome can be very bad. You alone are responsible for your well being, so there is a lot of pressure to do it well or pay the consequences. I enjoy hiking because I see it as a big puzzle to solve and I enjoy using my own knowledge, skill, and creativity to solve puzzles.

Thinking while hiking?

"I wonder if that wet root is slippery."

Easy way to prove this, do a poll and see how many hikers believe in global warming...

Hiking is also suppose to be good for your health, so why are there so many weeble wobbles at get-togethers

Images

the thinking doesnt lead to more brainpower, its that changes in the way the brain functions, from mere exposure itself to the natural world. I read this study myself,, and I believe it stems from the void of the constant bombardment of information we're forced to process in society, and as your internal dialogue subsides as you hike leads to a clearer more focused thinking process.
    maybe.
    like chinmusic suggests, i really dont do a whole lot of thinking on the trail-i.e left foot, right foot, left foot....now what?hmmmmmm

Images

the thinking doesnt lead to more brainpower, its that changes in the way the brain functions, from mere exposure itself to the natural world. I read this study myself,, and I believe it stems from the void of the constant bombardment of information we're forced to process in society, and as your internal dialogue subsides as you hike leads to a clearer more focused thinking process.
    maybe.
    like chinmusic suggests, i really dont do a whole lot of thinking on the trail-i.e left foot, right foot, left foot....now what?hmmmmmm
    Engaging the mind in a purposeful activity was my interpretation of the article.

Of course we all know that actual hiking is better than cyber hiking .... now what was I doing ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I actually look at the trail as a way to CLEAR the mind.

Left foot, right foot, where is that blaze, repeat. Now, survival mode can get your attention.......

Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis(pointer finger muscle) is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus(some muscle in the lower leg area).
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-03-2012 at 16:49. Reason: deffinitions

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Engaging the mind in a purposeful activity was my interpretation of the article.

Of course we all know that actual hiking is better than cyber hiking .... now what was I doing ?
    we can hike all we want, but i dont think we'll ever resolve the questions of tent vs hammock and how long cheese stays on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus.
    Not if you just came out of the pool.

Images

does hiking teach you latin, too?

I think a lot of your cognitive functions during a hike,in part, are due to the utilization of all your senses. Think about it: When you are out in nature-your visual sense is stimulated, as are a multitude of auditory and smell senses. Moreover, you are moving and feeling with each step. You can taste your sweat and your body is registering a vast array of temperatures. Now add to this the fact that you are allowing a lot of oxygen into your brain cells at the same time and it makes a lot of sense to me.

does hiking teach you latin, too?
    Nope Binged it.

Images

i had to google bing to find out what it was.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cyber hiking can raise the mental acuities,My extensor indicsis is twice the size of my extensor digitorum longus.
    thats probably due to checking out spokes profile pics every day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++