WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In order to have eggs to got to have mating. It's almost an unpleasant thing to see. The female box turtle allows the male to place his rear legs into the opening of her shell and then clamps down on them. She then proceeds to drag him around while they copulate.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

While cycling, I often see turtles on the side of the road attempting to cross, so I always help them. I've seen the box turtle, but I've also seen a type of turtle that kind of looks like a box, but bigger, maybe a subspecies, just seems much bigger than the typical.

I once saved a Florida soft-shelled turtle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_softshell_turtle by picking it up and dropping it in the water near a pipe that goes under the road (the direction it was headed). They (the females) can get pretty big, this one was about 30lbs and very strong. Their neck is also longer than most turtles, so you gotta be careful of the mouth. A 30 lb FSS turtle is difficult to carry, because they don't go into their shell like a box turtle, they're flapping their feet and trying to whip their head around to get a chunk out of you. Luckily I haven't had to rescue a snapping turtle yet, not sure if I would.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    While cycling, I often see turtles on the side of the road attempting to cross, so I always help them. I've seen the box turtle, but I've also seen a type of turtle that kind of looks like a box, but bigger, maybe a subspecies, just seems much bigger than the typical.

I once saved a Florida soft-shelled turtle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_softshell_turtle by picking it up and dropping it in the water near a pipe that goes under the road (the direction it was headed). They (the females) can get pretty big, this one was about 30lbs and very strong. Their neck is also longer than most turtles, so you gotta be careful of the mouth. A 30 lb FSS turtle is difficult to carry, because they don't go into their shell like a box turtle, they're flapping their feet and trying to whip their head around to get a chunk out of you. Luckily I haven't had to rescue a snapping turtle yet, not sure if I would.
    I was at Jonathan Dickenson one time in the swimming area just sitting in about knee deep water when a soft shell came cruising across my thighs. I could feel every one of his feet hitting both legs. I couldn't get out of that water fast enough. (lol) My ex says what's wrong, I said "nothing" later on she says aren't you getting back in, I said nah I'm done. Haven't been back in the swimming area since. That was back in the late 70's.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Haven't been back in the swimming area since. That was back in the late 70's.
    That was when swimming was still allowed in the Loxahatchee and the river was fresh water with cypress trees, now it's mangrove trees and brackish water and no swimming hole.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

I have seen more and more snapping turtles over the last several years,and less and less painters and box turtles.Turtles do fight with one another,just thinking maybe the box is on the decline,and some other species is on the advance.???Or maybe water conditions are changing,that then only allows for a certain type to flourish,again.???

Default You gotta have eggs to have babies.

This is about 45 mins of one of my box turtles nesting edited down to the 30 seconds of O-M-G.

Ran into one on a ridge one rainy afternoon two weeks ago just south of the Bryant Ridge Shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    She laid three eggs, which is kinda typical. I've had them lay four or sometimes only one or two. The eggs are oblong and about 1 1/4 inches long.
    Here is a pic of them in the damp vermiculite I incubate them in. I brushed it back for the pic.

Attachment 16194

Hey great thread - but oh well I am going to go there - you packed the eggs in Asbestos! Vermiculite killed so many miners The town is almost abandoned. Do not ever touch use or whatever.... To this day, because I crawled through it personally... it has weighed on my thoughts. ADT will not install an alarm system if that stuff is in the attic.-- ok enough said - lets move on.... love the turtle
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey great thread - but oh well I am going to go there - you packed the eggs in Asbestos! Vermiculite killed so many miners The town is almost abandoned. Do not ever touch use or whatever.... To this day, because I crawled through it personally... it has weighed on my thoughts. ADT will not install an alarm system if that stuff is in the attic.-- ok enough said - lets move on.... love the turtle
    Pure vermiculite does not contain asbestos and is non-toxic.

Journal Entries
    Images

hey if you have new information great - but I am done with that stuff. Honest.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I've seen at least 2 dozen this year near my home. I don't know about other places but they aren't becoming rare here.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    hey if you have new information great - but I am done with that stuff. Honest.
    http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/verm.html
    A mine near Libby, Montana was the source of over 70 percent of all vermiculite sold in the U.S. from 1919 to 1990. There was also a deposit of asbestos at that mine, so the vermiculite from Libby was contaminated with asbestos. Vermiculite from Libby was used in the majority of vermiculite insulation in the U.S. and was often sold under the brand name Zonolite. If you have vermiculite insulation in your home, you should assume this material may be contaminated with asbestos and be aware of steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from exposure to asbestos.

While the stuff used all those years as insulation may be contaminated. That mine is not the source of the vermiculite now sold at thousands and thousands of garden centers, Home Depots and Lowes across the country. You may be wise to avoid old attic insulation but what is on the market now is safe and asbestos free.

http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/verm.html

A mine near Libby, Montana was the source of over 70 percent of all vermiculite sold in the U.S. from 1919 to 1990. There was also a deposit of asbestos at that mine, so the vermiculite from Libby was contaminated with asbestos. Vermiculite from Libby was used in the majority of vermiculite insulation in the U.S. and was often sold under the brand name Zonolite. If you have vermiculite insulation in your home, you should assume this material may be contaminated with asbestos and be aware of steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from exposure to asbestos.

To add to this, many people in Libby have died fron the contamination of the town. No criminal penalties ensued.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    To add to this, many people in Libby have died fron the contamination of the town. No criminal penalties ensued.
    That's very misleading, in fact the company and employees were found NOT GUILTY of criminal conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    She laid three eggs, which is kinda typical. I've had them lay four or sometimes only one or two. The eggs are oblong and about 1 1/4 inches long.
    Here is a pic of them in the damp vermiculite I incubate them in. I brushed it back for the pic.

Attachment 16194
    It usually takes longer but I guess the daily heat of 90 plus hastened things up.

The first one starting peeking out of the egg today, less than 60 days after being laid.

New Hatch.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    That's very misleading, in fact the company and employees were found NOT GUILTY of criminal conduct.
    Maybe so, but the people are just as dead.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Two days after hatching. No wonder you never see a baby in the woods.

Two day old hatchling.JPG

Journal Entries
    Images
    Last edited by rickb; 09-29-2013 at 09:24.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    now that was just plain sweet!

Angry

See below.
    Last edited by aficion; 09-29-2013 at 09:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++