WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Eastern Box Turtles

Anyone finding them on the AT?

I haven't seen one in ages.

I'm pretty sure that Balls & Sunshine ran into one, as I seem to remember one in their photos.

Images

I saw a very small turtle in SNP, off of the AT last weekend, but I don't know if it was a box or not.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

I have a picture I took of one which is still on my cell phone. I think it was in NY. Right on the AT.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I grew up in the MD suburbs of DC back in the 60's and 70's. I would see box turtles in the neighborhood all the time. I'd hate to think they were so rare today.

Here's one we saw on the Pinhoti a couple of weeks ago along with another buddy of his.Springhoti 2012 077.jpgSpringhoti 2012 113.jpg
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Nope. That's not what I saw.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

I saw 3 turtles last week on a trail an hour south of Springer. I hate to admit that I don't have a clue what kind it was.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Here's one we saw on the Pinhoti a couple of weeks ago....Springhoti 2012 077.jpg
    This is what I recall from growing up.

I raise a sub-species of Eastern Box Turtles, here's one of my Florida Box Turtles taking a swim after laying a clutch of eggs.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I raise a sub-species of Eastern Box Turtles, here's one of my Florida Box Turtles taking a swim after laying a clutch of eggs.

Do you know how many eggs the turtle laid and what is the average size of an egg?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Do you know how many eggs the turtle laid and what is the average size of an egg?
    She laid three eggs, which is kinda typical. I've had them lay four or sometimes only one or two. The eggs are oblong and about 1 1/4 inches long.
    Here is a pic of them in the damp vermiculite I incubate them in. I brushed it back for the pic.

eggs.JPG
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

She laid three eggs, which is kinda typical. I've had them lay four or sometimes only one or two. The eggs are oblong and about 1 1/4 inches long.
    Here is a pic of them in the damp vermiculite I incubate them in. I brushed it back for the pic.

eggs.JPG
    That's way too cool. Thanks for the pic and info. I hope you have 100% successful hatching.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Funny that you mention it - I've seen 2 in the past month. One about a mile south of Spivey Gap and one crossing the road just down from Devil Fork Gap. Other than that I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

Here she is covering her nest.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here she is covering her nest.

Love it. How old is she?

WingedMonkey, this is some really good stuff. I can hear your close to the airport. We are seasonal residents splitting our time between AL and FL. We're members with the FTA Loxahatchee Chapter and we meet at Okeeheelee Nature Center in the park on the first Monday of the month and we have guest speakers that come and talk about everything from birds to flowers etc. I know the group would love to have you come talk turtle sometime if that would be possible. We've got all kinds of visual equipment and from what you've shown here I know you could put on a great presentation if you wouldn't mind.

I've seen them in the Groseclose area of SWVA. Down in the bottoms along the marsh/creek.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Love it. How old is she?
    She is six years old.

. I can hear your close to the airport.
    Not as close to the airport as it sounds on the cam. But the jets do fly closer to us since Trump sued them to not fly over his place. Something I've always found ironic since he's the one with a jet. I live on the north side of Pine Jog nature center. Three miles by bike to Okeeheelee.
    I'm a member of the Loxahatchee chapter and haven't been to a meeting in 10 years or more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++