WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Question Georgia terminus signs lack something?

Any idea why the Georgia terminus signs lack the character of the Katahdin sign? I mean, you really don't even know if there are one or two Georgia signs. Plus, there's no way to read them (being brass plaques) in any of the triumphant completion (or start) photos, unlike the Katahdin sign. Plus, the Georgia signs aren't even on the summit (perhaps because there's no vista there?).

I assume there are good reasons, but I'm just curious. Anybody know what they are?

I've had the good fortune to be to both terminii. Katahdin's is a bang and Springer's seems a wimper by comparison. Is it just me?

As a proud Southerner, I'd like to see the Southern terminus have more grace. Or, maybe that's exactly what it does have.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The Southern terminus is less than a mile to a road. My guess is that they don't have a Katahdin-like sign on Springer because it'd last about a week before a couple of collegiate idiots (or more likely celebrating Southbounder idiots) stole it. Stealing the Katahdin sign would take a bit more effort.

And you're right about Katahdin having more "bang" than
    Springer; "climbing" Springer from the North is not exactly a challenge.

But for completing Southbounders, it's still a great moment, and sign or no sign, getting to the plaque (actually two plaques) and getting to the last white blaze must still be a helluva good feeling.

Of course, maybe they could come back and do it all again in the right direction, but that's another matter!

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Not having been to K - YET - I agree the GA end of the trail does seem a bit subdued. I will be ending my flip-flop hike there, and i admit finishing there seems a bit anit-climactic. But the summit is not as dramatic as I envision K (based on pics) so maybe it is appropriate for the setting.
    So be it.
    --John

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Just a guess here ...but I'd say that a sign like the one atop Katahdin wouldn't last very long on Springer. It's just too easy to get to and the chances for vandalism are too great. I lived in Georgia for over 16 years and I remember when some of the trail signs between Springer and Neels Gap were placed. The stone hut on top of Blood Mountain had a real door and wooden window shutters. Now many of them have been knocked down by folks who really don't give a hoot. The doors and window shutters from the Blood Mountain hut were ripped off and used for firewood (in an area where fires are prohibited.)

Personally I'd love to see a more elaborate sign at the southern terminus of the AT but I'd be amazed if it ever happens. Just my .02

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Didn't some idiot vandalize the Springer plaque just last fall?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Didn't some idiot vandalize the Springer plaque just last fall?
    ==================================
    Hadn't heard that Rock ...but it wouldn't surprise me. Just think ...that is a bronze plaque/sign that is secured to a huge boulder.

'Slogger

Images

As I remember they painted it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

GAME 2000
    Images

As I remember they painted it.
    That's what I recall and thought I saw some reminants of white paint around it... seems like I recall that one was stolen at one time?

Images

While I understand the reasons for having the "southern terminus" of the AT on the summit of Springer (the AT begins and ends at a mountain, two sections of the Blue Ridge come together, etc.), the arch at the entrance/exit of the Approach Trail at Amicalola Falls State Park is much more impressive and accessible. Celebrations after completing the AT and coming down from the mountains would be in order and more meaningful.

Why not move the southern terminus there? After all, the terminus once was on Mt. Oglethorpe, so it can be moved to The Arch at Amicalola.

There used to be a large brown sign with white letters on the summit of Springer. I don't know when it was removed, but I know it was still there in 1988 because I've got a picture of it taken when I started my thru. Whoever had this sign sold it on ebay a couple of years ago.

The sign read as follows:

Springer Mountain

Elevation 3820
    Southern terminus of the
    Appalachian Trail. A mountain
    footpath extending 2000 miles
    to Mt. Katahdin in Maine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    There used to be a large brown sign with white letters on the summit of Springer. I don't know when it was removed, but I know it was still there in 1988 because I've got a picture of it taken when I started my thru. .
    =======================================
    It wasn't there much after '88. I remember seeing it but it's been so many years that I darned near forgot about it.

Do you still have that picture ?? Why not post it here at Whiteblaze. It's definitely a rare shot.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

[QUOTE=Scribe]...the arch at the entrance/exit of the Approach Trail at Amicalola Falls State Park is much more impressive and accessible... Why not move the southern terminus there? [QUOTE]

I think the arch is hideous, but that's just me. There's no way I would celebrate the end or beginning of a hike just 50 feet from a parking lot, a stone's throw from a bathroom and vending machine... Just doesn't fit.

I also happen to like the Springer plaque. Much more low-key. No need for hoopla, just sit down and chill next to the bronze hiker there. Look out west, think it all over.

-Mark

tideblazer
    Images

Default Signs

It's just a sign. What matters is what's under the sign.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    It's just a sign. What matters is what's under the sign.
    That would be...the logbook?

Nah...I know what ya mean.

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

On a sunny clear day the view from Springer can be just as inspiring as from Katahdin. The build up for me was on my ECT hike in 02. The excitment of reaching Springer after four months hiking from Key West was quite intense.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

Images

Something about two mountain tops as the ends. It wouldn't be the same if one end had vending machines and flush toilets. I say move the terminus to Duggar Mountain in Alabama
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Something about two mountain tops as the ends. It wouldn't be the same if one end had vending machines and flush toilets. I say move the terminus to Duggar Mountain in Alabama
    Aren't you glad that the Northern Terminus isn't Mt. Washington, as originally planned.

I fondly remember the old, big sign on Springer along with the mailbox that held the register.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Just found this website about a guy who hiked the trail in 1972 and it hiking it again this year to see how much has changed. A lot I would imagine. Anyway, here is a picture from his 1972 hike with the old Springer sign:

http://nemo.une.edu/at/trail1972/tra...s/image006.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Mt. K sign, etc,etc

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I fondly remember the old, big sign on Springer along with the mailbox that held the register.

Hey WOLF,

is there still a trail register on Mt. K.???

i never hear of one mentioned.

see ya'll out there: APR 28-May 5 (w/"the Model T crew") Hot Springs-Erwin
    May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin
    May 8-20 Damascus-Pearisburg
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++