WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

one Aquafina 1L bottle and 1 24oz smartwater or gatorade with the flip/twist top. i've found that being able to drink on the go with the flip top instead of a screw top makes life easier while hiking with trekking poles. the skinnier kind fit into the osprey exos angled pockets better too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sunshine View Post
    I find the best part of this photo is the rifle standing in the corner! ahahahahah
    I think it is a shotgun.

Platypus 0.5L and 1.0L

Light weight and fold up when not using.
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

I use a 1L Powerade bottle in one of the side pockets on my backpack, typically keep it full of treated water, depending on how far to the next water source, and how hot/humid is the weather. Sometimes I leave this bottle empty and just use the shoulder strap mounted 20 oz. gatorade bottle.

I also have a MLD bottle pouch attached to the left shoulder strap, with a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle that I drink from all day while hiking, I usually use hydration tabs with that 20oz. gatorade bottle during the day...either the GU-Brew lemon lime tablets or NUUN cucumber-mint tablets.

between water sources, I'll stop and refill the gatorade bottle from the 1L powerade bottle, drop in another hydration tab, and ready to go.

for camp I have a 2L Evernew softbottle to get water from the source and treat for dinner and the next morning. If its a long hump to the next water source, I'll use the Evernew softbottle as a backup and partially fill it.

I used to use a 2L Platy Big-Zip with the hoses. It's a good system, but takes more time to pull the Big Zip out of the pack to refill it during the day. Using the disposable Powerade and gatorade bottles is easier and lighter. And u can replace them at every town stop if u want.

My all time preference is Gatorade, it is the best.

I outfitted my grand children with some day packs this past summer and never considered buying a canteen..Just got bought 4 bottles of gatorade They fit , I don't realy care if they loose one and they last. I also reused a simller gatorade type bottles for the bikes they fit into a bottle holder on the bike.

Reading the post on here I think I might get out my 40 year old milky white / flexable water bottles and give them a toss. For sure they have to have bpa in them.

Journal Entries

Water is one of the easiest things to learn to acquire in the wild and also one of the heaviest things to carry so I try to do as much acquiring and as little carrying as possible and reasonable. How I chose to purify water (steripen) has dictated my bottle choices to some degree, which it should, water bottles should be though of as a part of a system, and optimized for it. So there is not really a one size fits all solution.

Usually I use a 1 liter Gator/Powerade type disposable type and an, usually approximately, 1/2 a liter disposable type, the brand doesn't matter so much just as long as it's not the new ultra-small opening that I find on some water bottles now - I do like the suggestion of the mayo containers with the wide opening.

The reason for the sizes is so I can chose how much to carry, if water is plentiful I will only fill the 1/2 a liter bottle, drink all I want at the water source and continue on with maybe 8-10 oz remaining - the steripen makes this easy and quick to do at the water source. I usually also carry a lightweight collapsable bottle somewhere if it becomes necessary to carry more.

Nalgene bottles I sometime use, their advantage is mainly in they can take hot/boiling water which may be useful in winter/cold weather situations. They also seem nicer for day hiking in a group where the extra weight doesn't really matter much and you get style points.
    Last edited by Starchild; 10-19-2012 at 09:29.

Coke has recently come out with a 1.25 liter size, and they have the classic long neck coke bottle design. This lets them be more reachable without taking my pack off. I'm using a golite quest with the mesh angled pockets, and some bottles can be difficult to remove with the pack on. The new coke bottles work great.

2 Gatorade Bottles
    2.0L roll up water bladder
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

A 1 liter nalgene in side pocket, a 24 oz. smart water bottle on shoulder strap and a 2 liter roll up platypus for extra camp water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++