WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Trail Name: Shepherd

SOBO Starting June 20- then getting off July 8 for a wedding in South Dakota and then getting back on the 17th or 18th. Thankfully I have some retired future in-laws who are now traveling for a living and can cart me around for this first part.

I have wanted to hike the trail 10 yrs now. I am going to graduate with my masters in May and getting married in January and then working and what not. So I am doing this. The fact that I will be in great shape for my wedding is just a happy accident.

Focusing on my last month of school is difficult when my spare bedroom looks like an outfitters.

I am looking forward to seeing y'all out there.

Name: Wesley
    Trail Name: May go with Tex, unless I get named something better on trail. =D
    SOBO starting: July 1st ( I think)

I'm actually looking at booking my ticket this week? Anyone care to message a bit and see if we can start together?

Updated...
    Name: Brett
    Trail Name: narrowed down to Cowboy and Big Sky, thoughts appreciated...eff, just realized Big Sky sounds like Pig Sty
    SOBO starting: Sunday, June 2nd

Finishing up at University of Tennessee, flying up to NY, aunt driving me from Stamford CT up to Millinocket.
    Probably starting off relatively slow initially but like most I'll pick it up through the first couple weeks.

if anyone wants to meet up - email me: [email protected]

Trail Name: Hurtbox Jones

Start Date: July 4

Why SOBO: timing just worked out better for me leaving in July

Name: Julie, no trail name yet
    Start Date: exact date still TBD but last week of June/first week of July

I work at a school and our last day is June 21st so I plan to start relatively soon after that. If anyone is starting around the same time and is interested in starting together, let me know!

Good luck the 2013 SOBO's! Hope you all have an awesome time, I true believe it is the better direction to hike IMO. If y'all have any questions a fellow SOBO can help with minus the sarcastic somewhat usefull info I received when searching myself, lol I'd be happy to help.

-Snowman MEGA '12

Name: I have no trail name as of yet. Perhaps the soil of rugged Maine can inspire one worthy? Most call me Brewster (my surname).
    From: Severely Northern New York (near Canadian Border / across Lake Champlain from Vermont (most of last four years spent in New York City)
    Starting from Katahdin: First week of June - 1 month from now!

The Appalachian Trail has been lounging in the back of my brain for some years - a romantic notion bedded down somewhere forward of the pineal gland. Sometime in October 2012, about a month into my senior year as an English major in New York, it occurred to me that graduate school did not seem a likely option for me. I am an autodidact by nature - and am regularly more inspired to poesy by lakes and mountain-vistas than professors or libraries. I cannot deny my history with academia - indeed, I'm sure I've spent more time in the library than most - but the open road is what calls me. So, last October, I gave up the ghost of thinking about graduation applications, and began instead to think about the AT.

I have since read several books, begun gear acquisition, and done some preliminary planning. I'm in quite ghastly shape - and that has not improved all that much - so I know a SOBO is going to be an incredible physical challenge for me during the first couple months. I am looking at this journey as a detox from modernity. I do not wish to escape my current times, as those so numerous golden age thinkers, but I know that, in order to make maximum effective use of the rest of my mortal days, I am in dire need of a change. I plan to thru-hike and then wing to Hawaii and work of organic farms there. I want to cultivate pineapples as I cultivate a better and more self-realized person behind my eyes and under my skin. The AT calls. I am so excited. I shall rush to meet the formidable challenge.

Mooch on!

Autodidact. Now there's a word every hiker will know and appreciate.

Trail Name: Not Yet

Start Date: First week of June

Why SOBO: scheduling wouldn't work for NOBO and kinda like that there won't be AS many people. I don't want to be exhausted with my hike by the time I see beautiful Maine!

Journal Entries

A) try to get in some reasonably state of health & b) leave the books at home ; i've hiked parts of maine such as katadin and over in the border areas it can be a experience. Ps bring quality bug juice

Journal Entries
    Images

Trailname: COPrHead
    Start date: June 17thish, depends finding the right peeps to meet and go with

Why SOBO: avoiding the Sheeple stampede. Had to wait for my retirement. I so look forward to making the first steps into the second half of my life.

Name:
    Jamie, no trail name yet

Fairfax, Va

Start Date:
    Early June

Why SOBO?
    Came back from backpacking in Europe and became unexpected owner of 2-year old korean jindo dog.
    I plan to take her with me and later start date gave me more time to plan trip.

Looking for:
    Either a ride up to Maine (i'd be happy to split costs) or renting car and looking for people or dogs to tag along.

You are one of the few hikers I've seen in this forum who are leaving SOBO mid-July. I am too. I'm also originally from Iowa although I haven't lived there in years. I wouldn't mind hooking up with you at Katahdin to make it through the 100 mile wilderness with someone or with someone within earshot. You can check me out on FB if you are leary but don't be. I'm ready to do this thing. ~ Jojean

Trail name: Phoenix
    Why SOBO I've grown up hiking in VT and NH and it has always seemed natural to start in New England and go south. Avoiding the crowds is also a plus. As much as more solitude is nice, I would like to start out with some people, especially through the 100 mile wilderness. I haven't picked an exact date but I want to go sometime between June 3rd and June 9th. If anyone is interested in starting together or better yet getting a group to start together, let me know!

Trail name: None given, but my nickname here on the farm is Wooly (aptly so), so I'll go by that until something else comes. Wooly Thundersquatch, esquire!

Origin: SW Oklahoma, currently working on a therapy farm in Vermont.

Start: ~July 11th

Why SOBO: I like fall more than spring. I don't mind cold (I've spent two years on trail crew in Maine and Alaska), but am not overfond of bugs, so the near-Yule end and possible snow in the Smokies doesn't daunt me (though I'm preparing thoroughly and will be cautious). I don't like super crowded situations, and had a friend do a SOBO who loved it. I believe it's about the journey not the destination. It's about hiking for half a year, not fetishizing one mountain.

Name: Eric, no real trail name yet, Stur on this website, From: Texas, near Houston, Start date: targeting first week of June, Why SOBO: to get the hardest part of the trail behind me, weather, fewer people. Looking for: alternative way to get to Maine. Am currently in Anniston, AL. So not looking forward to a bus ride. Train and plane cost more. Anyone near here "rental car-pooling"?

Hi Eric, my name is Chris. Sorry.... I'm in PA and can't help with ride but I am taking a bus. Not as long as it would be from Alabama but...... I am looking at as just part of the adventure. I'm leaving June 1st. Taking bus to Bangor, then a friend is picking me up and driving me to medway and paying $50 for a ride from there to the trailhead. If u can get to Bangor on the 2nd, let me know and I can help u with transport from there. No trail name yet.... Username is lostinlife. Email is [email protected] good luck and see u on the trail.

Got my bus ticket today from Akron, OH to Bangor, ME. I have a transfer in New York City from midnight to 3am which I am not happy about.....I start on the 27th. So pumped!
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

both times i was to have a long lay over in new york, they put us on earlier bus, if we wanted. beause the earlier one was not full to cap.

1 week to go! This is really going to happen, I think. Driving up on Friday, then walking up Big K on Saturday! I'm not sure of the proper adjective to describe my emotions, but anxi-citement sounds about right. Anybody else starting on the 1st?
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++