WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Dog Bite - 2012 AT Thru Hiker (SOBO)

"I woke up in the rain and broke camp and hiked out on a still sore ankle realizing I could work my way through the pain. I made it to Wadliegh Lean-to which was full so I set up camp in the rain. about five I got out of my tent, peed and started to look around. A hiker had his big black German shepherd loose and the dog came over barking and bit on the leg and didn't break the skin but then he bit me in the arm and made a sizeable gash. I walked toward the owner who took control of the dog. I cleaned the wound with some help from some of the other hikers then decided I should hike another 8.5 miles to get to a lodge. Mountain Goat went with me. Linda, one of the lodge owners helped me clean the wound some more and then I took a shower and slept. We'll access in the morning. "

I have been bitten by dogs twice in my 65-yrs! Many years ago my youngest son about had his head removed by a neighborhood dog. He was in surgery for 6-hour afterward. To day as an adult, he still bears the facial scars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Had I been the Thru hiker above and a German Shepard bit me twice, I would have shot the dog DEAD on the spot!

Say what you will, but I will NOT tolerate a large dog that bites folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

sorry to hear that. hope he got all the hiker and dog info. friend of yours?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wow,that's super unfortunate,I too would have trouble tolerating a dog that is a known biter,and if I had the slightest inkling that that was the case the dog would not and should not go on the trip,did the hiker say if in fact the dog has bitten before?Sounds like the dog may have been startled or unsure,some older dogs when they have poor vision can get a little unrest from someone approaching not offering any excuses here,just an observation as to why this may have happened,due to the hour of the day in that it sounds like early morning and maybe he too just woke up.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-06-2012 at 19:15. Reason: didn't notice it wasn't bill that got bit but another hiker....thanks KK

Have NO idea who he is! Just read his recent Journal!
    Last edited by Cherokee Bill; 06-06-2012 at 18:44.

Zero tolerence rule is in effect.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

People laugh at my bear spray. That's cool. But I carry it for dogs way more than bears. Been bitten once while hiking. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Images

looks like he got back on the trail today. hope all goes well for him. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381424

Images

Why wait for the owner to do the right thing? I'd have killed the dog myself.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

JT is having a rough start, hope his luck changes.
    He says the dogs owner assured him that the dog had all it's vaccinations. I would not take the owners word for it. Hope the victim got the dog owner's information so he can confirm the dog had it's rabies vaccination.
    The victim has 30 days to file a complaint with local authorities.
    "A person who owns or keeps a dangerous dog commits a civil violation for which the court shall adjudge a fine of not less than $250 and not more than $1,000. The dog may be ordered to be muzzled, or euthanized if it has killed, maimed or inflicted serious bodily injury upon a person or has a history of a prior assault."
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Hey Mrs Baggins, don't know if you're familiar with Maryland's dog bite laws but the victim has little protection from the law in our great state.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I agree with all of the above posts. My thought about the dog owner: If you don't keep your dog restrained, and he is not trained to be civil in public, he has no business in any public place. Send the dog home and make sure the victim's injuries are taken care of on your nickel.

BTW................ this kid ended up in an ER (at the next town) to get the wounds properly cleaned, dressed and got some antibiotics for a possible coming infection from the bite! Guess what this must have cost him $$$......

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Why wait for the owner to do the right thing? I'd have killed the dog myself.
    I don't agree with killing the dog. It's just being a dog. The owner is the problem here. Now if you were to impart some wisdom in that direction...

If it is shown the owner has allowed the dog to beocome a habitual biter then drastic action might be taken against the dog. But the owner should also face significant consequences. I say this a a dog lover and owner (maybe she owns me). My dog, the friendliest in the world, is always on leash so this doesn't become a problem for me.

The damn dog that tried to take my sons head off, as a child, was "the friendliest in the world" in our neighborhood!

Your dog tries to bite me or mine, it's DEAD.

Enough said

Yes! This is a major thorn in my side, and is why I continue to post here, on the subject! This is a growing problem, that is, dog-owners allowing their dogs to roam free on the trail.

A bitting dog, is always a bitting dog!

5-times in the past 18-mo, I have been threatened by such dogs on various trails. This last incident of the Thru Hikes having been bitten twice, has now given me the ZERO TOLERANCE attitude!
    Last edited by Cherokee Bill; 06-07-2012 at 07:11.

Journal Entries

I am with you Billyboy. One of my pet peeves is letting your dog run with no leash. Also not cleaning up after the dang thing. But the problem is the lazy owners. My mini schnauzer was attacked and killed by an unleashed mutt running in the neighborhood.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    But the problem is the lazy owners.
    i agree 100%. should be more responsibility put on owners.

not to minims this or make light of it, but it looks like the hiker is trying to put this behind him. any injury or setback right in the beginning of a hike can have traumatic consequences. maybe be we could sign his guestbook and cheer JT Pynne on his hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I don't agree with killing the dog. It's just being a dog. The owner is the problem here. Now if you were to impart some wisdom in that direction...

If it is shown the owner has allowed the dog to beocome a habitual biter then drastic action might be taken against the dog. But the owner should also face significant consequences. I say this a a dog lover and owner (maybe she owns me). My dog, the friendliest in the world, is always on leash so this doesn't become a problem for me.
    I am in total agreement with you as an Ex professional dog trainer. You definately do need to know your dog and he should have had him on a leash but dogs are dogs and freak accidents happen. I hope JT had a good and successful hike.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I don't agree with killing the dog. It's just being a dog.
    No, It's a dog being a viscious dog. Most dogs do not bite people.
    It does not belong out in public, off leash or on, ever.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Did the dog owner have proof the dog had rabies inoculation? Being bit by a potential rabies carrier could ruin a hiking trip. These thoughtless hikers who carry their dogs into the woods with no physical restraints are the worst. The standard canned reply from these people, after their dog has attacked is "He, or She, has never done that before!" or "what did you do to cause him, or her, to attack you" blah, blah, blah

Quote Originally Posted by AAhiker View Post
    dogs are dogs and freak accidents happen.
    A dog off it's leash biting a person is not an accident, for sure not a "freak accident". It's a predictable maiming or even fatal attack on a human caused by a negligent irresponsible dog owner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++