WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by roy_hiking View Post
    How can the people doing the heavy drinking and drugs on and along the AT be keep away?
    The same way you avoid all the other problems on the trail from bible thumpers to bonfire builders, and people that don't carry a tarp, or can't leave home without their dog, or can't stop talking. You hike on.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

How can the people doing the heavy drinking and drugs on and along the AT be keep away?
    Catch a mouse take it to the group of raucous partiers and yell, "SHUT THE FV<K UP OR ELSE" ...then bite the head off of the little mouse.

I've never done that, but it seems as though it might work

Images

I saw the title of this thread and thought perhaps you were inviting us to a party. Alas.

If you'd like to avoid it, follow the advice above and hike and camp by yourself. Much easier. Stop in at shelters for water and maybe a privy break, then hike another mile or two and set up camp. This can be done easily for about 90% of the AT. It's even easier if you use a hammock.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Stealth Camp.
    When you arrive at a shelter and the scene doesn't feel right, hike on a few more miles and make a stealth camp 50 yards or more off the trail.
    (Make a point to remember which side of the trail you walk from so in the morning you know which way to go.)
    The AT is unique among the Triple crown in that you can easily lose your sense of North and Southbound due to it's steep terrain, routing, and tree cover.
    Anyhow, If you want to socialize yet have peace and quiet, just eat dinner at the shelter then hike on a few.
    The amazing thing about the AT is that despite the multitude of folks hiking it you can still have solitude.
    I found that when i stealth camped I would not generally see any hikers until around noon the next day as i had stealth camped between the shelters.
    Those behind me stayed behind, those ahead stayed ahead or i passed them while they were sleeping in.
    Hey, I am a pretty open minded person, living in Santa Cruz California and all.
    I found almost everyone i met on the AT to be awesome.
    Yet there were a few folks "in a different groove" so to speak and rather than confront them i found it much easier, and more pleasant, to simply use my legs to hike onward a few miles.
    I think that having a simple tarp and mesh bug bivy combo that set up quickly helped me in that regard as well.
    The shelters were nice at times but I really enjoyed being tucked away on "virgin" ground in a sneaky stealth camp even more so.
    You can engage with hikers and still have your freedom and peace.
    This all being said i am sure i got on a few peoples nerves at times as well.
    I remember a twenty degree night in the Smokies when I was all stuffed up and snorring like a bear. I really felt bad cause i know i was pissing off the guy next to me. Yea, it's different cause i was sick but i probably should have stealth camped that night.
    Then there was the night I really wanted a shelter and some long trail hikers had their tents all set up in the shelter and i started to get all pissy about it.
    I just hiked on and i am glad i did cause they just didntt know how rude they were being and i didn't feel like ruining their trip over it.
    We all get along, occasionally stepping on each other toes, but mostly we get along pretty well.
    The AT is a trail with a strong social component, you can either embrace it or shy away but it is still part of the trail.
    You make perfect sense, but stuff does happen. As did that nite at Mt. Algo.....past dark, no tarp, not knowing that crap was a teenage drinking party, I had never stayed at Mt. Algo, I kinda wanted company. But, now because of that the tarp always comes with me.

John, raw mouse does not taste like chicken, or Piping Plover.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I saw the title of this thread and thought perhaps you were inviting us to a party. Alas.

If you'd like to avoid it, follow the advice above and hike and camp by yourself. Much easier. Stop in at shelters for water and maybe a privy break, then hike another mile or two and set up camp. This can be done easily for about 90% of the AT. It's even easier if you use a hammock.

This site has got me thinking Hammockes. I have much research to do on that. I spin went I sleep, and the wife comes with me alot, so......more research.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Actually, if you employ my method it may get you invited to the party

Images

Are you saying that you want them "kept" away from the trail all together? Just pitch your tent away from people! How hard would that be? Just like in New Orleans, if you don't want to be around drunks don't go to the French Quarter! Oh, and that cocktail glass in my hand in my profile pic, I was offered one drink by the guys at the shelter after a long day! To me that was beautiful trail magic for my aching feet!

Images

watchman and i got to hogback shelter where there were yuppies partying. watchman and i got into an argument about who's turn it was to catch diner. (we were also covered in mud from sliding down a hill) i told him the roadkill he picked up the day before didn't count. we asked other "what yous got to eat?". by the time we were back from getting water they were gone.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I love a good party around the campfire!!! Kumbaya!!!
    See ya when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Stealth Camp. When you arrive at a shelter and the scene doesn't feel right, hike on a few more miles and make a stealth camp 50 yards or more off the trail...
    +1 on this. It takes two people to have an argument. I refuse to let someone else's bad behavior ruin my day. Just smile and walk away. One of the great things about backpacking is that "walking away" is always an option.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    watchman and i got to hogback shelter where there were yuppies partying. watchman and i got into an argument about who's turn it was to catch diner. (we were also covered in mud from sliding down a hill) i told him the roadkill he picked up the day before didn't count. we asked other "what yous got to eat?". by the time we were back from getting water they were gone.
    I like this!! You don't have to be to crazy,just a little crazier than the crazies your dealin with.that's damn funny.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    +1 on this. It takes two people to have an argument. I refuse to let someone else's bad behavior ruin my day. Just smile and walk away. One of the great things about backpacking is that "walking away" is always an option.
    I'm with you on this !!!!

A 24/7 security guard could be posted at every road crossing and blue blaze trail head which leads to the AT. Before allowed on the trail, everyone would be strip searched and every item in the pack removed and inspected. If no contraband is found, your allowed to put your clothes back on, restuff your pack and continue on. If contraband is found, your shot on the spot, the guard takes your booze and dope and has a party with thier friends. Your gear is sold on ebay to pay for all the guards.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A 24/7 security guard could be posted at every road crossing and blue blaze trail head which leads to the AT. Before allowed on the trail, everyone would be strip searched and every item in the pack removed and inspected. If no contraband is found, your allowed to put your clothes back on, restuff your pack and continue on. If contraband is found, your shot on the spot, the guard takes your booze and dope and has a party with thier friends. Your gear is sold on ebay to pay for all the guards.
    I could totally see you saying this cuz I know you Well said

OP- Learn how to tent or tarp or hang and stealth. Just follow the guidelines of only camping where its allowed away from shelters and campsites. Leave no trace, pack out and leave it better than you found it, get off trail as far as you can. Its why you are out there isn't it? Or just learn that if you sleep in shelters or camp near them, know it may be something you have to address if it genuinely bothers you. In my experience on the trail down south and in New England, the hiking culture is weirder in the south. I mean that in a good way! I have just learned to stay away during peak times in the northeast! I find most hikers are pretty considerate for the most part. Every once in awhile you get the occasional jerk that is obnoxiously drunk and just needs to pass out. Not that I have EVER been THAT GUY

Images

I agree with going out earlier or later in the season, I do both and have never run into any partiers, ever.

March spring hike.................Fall hike usually in Sept or October

Rarely sleep in a shelter.................tent close by, works for me

by being shunned and informing hostel and business owners. most hikers don't say a thing

Journal Entries
    Images

HYOH. Not bothered by it, as long as LNT is followed and my rest isn't effected. Did plenty of it when I was younger. Too old for that social end these days.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You forgot to add that hiking access would be allowed only by a lottery based permit system under this plan.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you're near a road, dial 9, then 1, then 1 again. After you've partaken and moved on, of course

In all seriousness,to answer your question,stiffer fines,and some time lapse for the word to spread that the AT is not a friendly place to hang and party,would probably do it,but that's up to the legislators and law enforcement.If your not bothering me or mine,don't care,got my own worries,and that ain't one of them.Now if your being an ahole,when ya fall asleep,and you will,I might trip over a rock,an accecdently throw your boots in a tree.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-10-2012 at 16:37.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++