WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Boston from the AT

A question for some of the Massachusetts folks here on WB. I am from California but travel to Boston each summer on the 1st of July to drive to Lenox, MA for James Taylor at Tanglewood over the 4th.

I plan on starting a thru hike on March 1st, 2013 and would rather not miss the concert over the 4th, 2013 (should he perform). Wondering the AT get off point to Boston and approximate mileage from Springer to the jump off point, to be able to get to Boston about the 1st of July 2013.

Thanks,
    Mooof53

Images

You can get off the AT anywhere, of course, but the best spot for you, most likely, given your specs, is either:

1. (If you can get a shuttle): US Rt. 20 just north of the MassPike (I-90) crossing, a few miles east of Lee, Mass (about 10 miles from Lee to Lenox), or
    2. (If you want to take bus or Amtrak): crossing of Mass Route 8 south of Dalton, Mass or Mass Route 9 east of it. From there you can get shuttle or taxi or walk west into Pittsfield, from which you can get to Lenox pretty easily and catch a bus or Amtrak to Boston.

You might be able to get a bus from Lee to Boston, so you might want to check on that. Peter Pan, Megabus and Greyhound would be worth checking.

The A.T. mileage, NOBO, to Dalton would be around 1550.

It would probably not be terribly hard to get a shuttle to Lenox anywhere from Salisbury, CT to North Adams/Williamstown, MA, which gives you about a 90-mile window of A.T. to work with, so you'd have some flexibility in timing your hike for the 4th at Tanglewood. I've seen a couple shows there and agree that it's totally worth structuring your hike around it. What a beautiful place to take in a concert!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

we should add.. if you want to take Amtrak to Boston, there's only ONE train a day. It goes through Pittsfield, Mass around 4:30 pm and gets to Boston South Station around 10 pm. I don't think this would be of much help to you.

Peter Pan (twice daily NYC-Williamstown) runs along Route 7 in MA, roughly following the AT, including through Lee (5 miles W of the AT crossing of Route 20) and Lenox. Berkshire Regional Transit runs local buses throughout the area out of Pittsfield (but not on Sundays or major holidays). There are also taxis in the area (including 2 based at Lee).

It should be reasonably easy to hitch into Lenox from anywhere on the trail in Mass. Your already in the general area. I belive there is a regional bus which services that area, if you can figure out thier schedual...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It should be reasonably easy to hitch into Lenox from anywhere on the trail in Mass. Your already in the general area. I belive there is a regional bus which services that area, if you can figure out thier schedual...
    Not sure how it is in Western MA, but always tough to hitch a ride in Central MA.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep...Mass is a short section and getting to Tangelwood will be easy to figure out once you get there on the trail. Just remember that it is a big event and plan your lodging ahead of time, if you are not staying on the trail also that on the actual July 4th date the local buses aren't running.

Taylor now lives in Washington right off the trail BTW.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Yep...Mass is a short section and getting to Tangelwood will be easy to figure out once you get there on the trail. Just remember that it is a big event and plan your lodging ahead of time, if you are not staying on the trail also that on the actual July 4th date the local buses aren't running.

Taylor now lives in Washington right off the trail BTW.
    I should add that for planning purposes Tangelwood is only 10 miles from the trail where it crosses US 20, just after you cross over the Mass Pike walkover. A lot of hikers in the past have stayed at Upper Goose Pond the night before.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.

Moof53

Moof, you might also want to consider renting a car in Pittsfield instead of taking the bus. I used to take the loser cruiser from Boston to Springfield when I was in college, and it was always overcrowded and overpriced for what it was. There is a Budget rental in Pittsfield, and their prices haven't been that bad. At least it might be comparable to what it would cost to take the bus.

Another thing to think about is that you will be trapped in an enclosed metal tube for three to four hours (the buses will make stops in several places after Springfield, prolonging the journey) with everyone else. The difference is that the other passengers would have been able to put on clean clothes and take a shower before hand. You will most likely be still carrying several miles of trail with you.

Another reason for renting a car is so you won't have to worry about adhering to someone else's deadline to get back. You can decide when to leave to get back and stick to your own schedule. I'm sure that several miles on the trail will probably make you more relaxed about getting somewhere when you need to rather than stressing out about getting a bus when you need to.

Just a thought...
    I think I've seen that tree before.

++ New Posts ++