WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    ...and some on WB jest at me for always hiking with a pistol, with serious stopping power, may I add. They would have had his body to retrieve if he had been me.
    My sentiments exactly.

We, to include Sassy, have a natural right to self-defense and the manner in which he obtains the weapon is genuinely not any of our business.
    And odds are high that when she first came in contact with this person, her gut told her something was wrong.
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/tips/trust-your-gut
    It's really not likely/probable that he just popped out of the bushes and ambushed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Why in god's name would anyone hike anywhere near Gatlinburg???
    This trail connects to the Sugerland center from the edge of town. It's one of those easy "nature walk" trails. The one time I walked this trail in the evening, I meet several hikers going in with bags of food in thier hands. Which comfirmed what I was thinking as I walked along, that it would be a good place to stealth camp if one wanted to avoid paying for a motel room. I was on the trail as I had some time to kill and to see how easy it would be to get to Sugerland for my permits the next day.

I agree with msupple that an attack of this kind likely happens suddenly, without warning and quite likely from behind. It is very possible that they could pass each other, or even exchange a few words, and then the guy quickly turns around and attacks. If someone grabs you by the hair from behind and then puts a knife to your throat, not much you can do about it. However, after the intial shock wears off, it would be a good idea to knee the guy in the crotch at the first opperunity!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It is one of I think two of the short trails where dogs and bikes are allowed. I'm surprised if it wasn't busy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

From the report, it stated that the victim had defensive cuts so I am thinking that she fought him somewhat even though he had a knife. This is the truth: Most women, even with a gun, are at the mercy of a guy. IF (and I say this emphatically), a woman knows how to handle a gun and can keep her wits about her, she may have a chance. The absolute BEST option is for female hikers to take a few self-defense classes. It can never hurt. Heck, even if you watch a few You Tube instructions, it is better than nothing. This attack occurred in the afternoon. It is probably difficult to get to a gun at that time of day unless she can keep it close. I am still inclined to believe that most attacks come in the evening from guys who get drunk and party too hard. And unfortunately, I think younger women are more at risk in that respect. But at night, I think it is good for a woman to have a gun in her tent IF she is camping away from others. If she is always in a campground, usually her yells for help should bring others and not make it necessary for her to carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    From the report, it stated that the victim had defensive cuts so I am thinking that she fought him somewhat even though he had a knife. This is the truth: Most women, even with a gun, are at the mercy of a guy. IF (and I say this emphatically), a woman knows how to handle a gun and can keep her wits about her, she may have a chance. The absolute BEST option is for female hikers to take a few self-defense classes. It can never hurt. Heck, even if you watch a few You Tube instructions, it is better than nothing. This attack occurred in the afternoon. It is probably difficult to get to a gun at that time of day unless she can keep it close. I am still inclined to believe that most attacks come in the evening from guys who get drunk and party too hard. And unfortunately, I think younger women are more at risk in that respect. But at night, I think it is good for a woman to have a gun in her tent IF she is camping away from others. If she is always in a campground, usually her yells for help should bring others and not make it necessary for her to carry a firearm.
    meredith was a black belt.....

Images

The absolute BEST option is for female hikers to take a few self-defense classes. It can never hurt. Heck, even if you watch a few You Tube instructions, it is better than nothing.
    If this attack went down as many do,the assailant using surprise to initially subdue his victim, then the use of self defense training is really the BEST tool anyone can use.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Why in god's name would anyone hike anywhere near Gatlinburg???
    It is the way to go a-foot to/from Gatlinburg to/from Sugarlands Visitor Center. It is kind of pretty without any big fear of coming across a big, bad bear.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Run, hike, bike, chill.

Tragic but honestly this sort of thing doesn't happen as often on trails as on a city's streets. I'm much more worried about my safety in any given downtown area after dark than I am on any trail.

I agree with you, Sassy. Better safe than sorry. The extra weight of a pistol is nothing compared to the load that is lifted from my shoulders not having to worry that I can't defend myself if necessary. You go girl!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

{DELETE}
    Never mind... I see this is a vary old thread.

Images

I'm on Sassy's side too. I don't like the "don't try to protect yourself, just give them what they want" theory of crime prevention. We've got too many predators and need to thin the herd.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Very tragic! Women are more vulnerable on the trail than one might think. Good to know that the Rangers got involved in trying to track down this guy.
    Oh, blah blah blah. I'm far safer alone on the trail than I am alone in the city. I've been backpacking alone for 30 years and in the thousands of people I've met out in the woods, not a single one has tried to harm me.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Oh, blah blah blah. I'm far safer alone on the trail than I am alone in the city. I've been backpacking alone for 30 years and in the thousands of people I've met out in the woods, not a single one has tried to harm me.
    Did you make up your sig?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

No reason to stir up an old thread...esp one that will lead to enlightened, calm, rational and useful discussion. Threads on religion and guns always end up like that, right???

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++