WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hitchhiking on the Long Trail?

My friend and I leave NOBO on Friday, and all of our food drops have been mailed to post offices, usually 5 or 6 miles away from the trail. How easy is it to get a hitch into town usually? I would hate to have to walk that distance just to get a few days worth of food. I tried to coordinate it so that we would be hitching on major routes, but I'm still curious as to of the likelihood of being picked up... Does anyone have any advice? Any experience doing this?

put your thumb out and dont worry you will be fine you should have a ride within a handful of cars..

Images

Agreed, hitching is pretty easy in Vermont especially southern VT. Look presentable wearing your backpacks and smile.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I got a hitch to Manchester Center in about 5 minutes from a local who said he was also a hiker - - he waited on me to shop and gave me a ride back. In Killington I took the shuttle to Rutland from the Inn at Long Trail. I did wait a bit on a hitch into Waitsfield but eventually got a ride. Was offered 2-3 rides walking into Johnson but being a short hike, I just walked it. I'd say that it is not a big worry - Vermonters are good folks and you shouldn't find hitch-hiking much of a problem. Display your pack, keep your sunglasses off and smile.

I agree with Jeff and Doc...pretty easy in the small towns and yes, wear your backpack and a smile! I love the Long Trail especially north of the AT...enjoy!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I got a hitch to Manchester Center in about 5 minutes from a local who said he was also a hiker - - he waited on me to shop and gave me a ride back. In Killington I took the shuttle to Rutland from the Inn at Long Trail. I did wait a bit on a hitch into Waitsfield but eventually got a ride. Was offered 2-3 rides walking into Johnson but being a short hike, I just walked it. I'd say that it is not a big worry - Vermonters are good folks and you shouldn't find hitch-hiking much of a problem. Display your pack, keep your sunglasses off and smile.
    Thanks! That is really helpful because we plan to hitch into Manchester Center. After that we have a hitch for a drop in Cuttingsville, and someone is going to do a drop for us at the Inn At Long Trail so no need for hitching there. We have another hitch for a drop in Ripton, and we also plan to hitch to Waitsfield for a drop. Then someone is giving us a drop at the notch in Stowe, and then from there we will probably go into town at least once to get more food.

Yeah break down your trekking poles, take off any obnoxious gaiters, take off your hat, face the car and smile...no worries in Vermont.

PS stand about 50-100 feet before a safe area for the car to pull off the road, ie don't hitch at the pull off area, stand before it

Bring a bug net, the skeeters are gonna be loving you guys coming out early for them!

I had great luck last year hitching on my e2e. I hitched into Johnson, actually the convenience store/deli, because I was craving a Pepsi. It was only a mile or a mile and a half off the trail. Teresa picked me up and dropped me there. Ended up eating a roast beef sub and a few other things. Got a salami and provolone to go for dinner. Walked over to the road stuck out my thumb and lo and behold who comes back the other way...Teresa! What an angel. Thank you Teresa! Also, hitched into Middlebury with no problem. Enjoy!

One of the easiest hitches along the Long Trail is from the Route 11 crossing going into Manchester, VT. That's about 5 miles or so. All the thru hikers hitch in as do the Long Trail hikers.

DavidNH.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    One of the easiest hitches along the Long Trail is from the Route 11 crossing going into Manchester, VT. That's about 5 miles or so. All the thru hikers hitch in as do the Long Trail hikers.

DavidNH.
    Very true. You don't even have to put your thumb out if you have a backpack on lol

++ New Posts ++