WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Default Latest Altercation with "Joe to Go"

Just leave him be mean. And just spread the word not to deal with him. Not necessarily in a book

Thanks Owl. OK - so he doesn't have to legally allow hikers to use his restroom. Still, maybe said hikers need to be aware of this before spending their money at his business. And for the record, I personally would not write a bad review for this establishment if I had not been there. However, we are hearing from numerous hikers (some that I know quite well) that his customer service is less than stellar.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 06-14-2012 at 21:56.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that was the fasted lookup I could find... its for NYC. NJ is most likely similar... doesn't matter he's a jerk even a WaWa without a bathroom would let a guy in with a child.

On the other hand I got dealt a blow last month with a gas station near the turnpike at Fort Washington. The manager refused the bathroom to me. That was in clear view... One of the few times I got a dose of racism. It just going to happen. Yea I am giving a summary.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm glad you brought this last incident to the body Kathy,I'm done with wasting anymore time on this fella.Done.talking or typing.he no longer exists in my world...period!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living ...?
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The only person who is destroying the business.....is the owner. There is nothing wrong with publicizing facts, just be sure you have them right.
    I've got to agree with MuddyWaters ... and not with TD55's absurd hyperbole. Reporting a bad experience does not "destroy a person's business." It would take a lot of those. And generating a lot of reports of bad experience would be the person destroying his own business.

Don't blame the victims.

Rain Man

P.S. I am talking about people reporting THEIR OWN experiences, and not posting on review sites such stuff as rumors and gossip and hearsay.

Last edited by Rain Man; 06-15-2012 at 09:18. Reason: correct P.S. to clarify
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I remember when I was thru-hiking the PCT through the high sierra. Several people had bashed Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) online talking about bad service, bad food, anti-hiker, etc. And yet, I had a great time there, as did most hikers I talked to. A couple of bad journal posts isn't enough for everyone to conclude a place should be avoided like the plague. I'll stop by in a few months on my AT SOBO hike and let you know what I find in my online journal.

This may not be well received but when my wife and I were there a couple of years ago Joe already had the reputation but served us some of the best breakfast sandwichs we had ever eaten. He was pretty busy that morning with regulars so I told him to wait on them first as we had all day and asked if he had a restroom we could use to wash our hands. He said sure, just open the office door. One thing he was serious about though and that was to not leave your packs by the door. There was a bench on the side of the building for hikers. As for his attitude, I wouldn't say it was overly friendly but as a Southerner most Northern accents don't seem overly friendly. Just my opinion.

The reason that I passed this info along was for one purpose only: A few weeks ago, I was involved in a lively discussion on this particular business because a hiker had related in the thread what transpired when he had asked for water. I gave my thoughts on the subject. When I read about Balls and Sunshine's experience that mirrored the same treatment, I felt that it was appropriate in the context of the previous discussion.

Just one more thing, hikers thinking they can hurt his business are clearly delusional. The man makes a living serving locals who based on the number of years he has been open must enjoy his sandwiches and his coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    This may not be well received but when my wife and I were there a couple of years ago Joe already had the reputation but served us some of the best breakfast sandwichs we had ever eaten. He was pretty busy that morning with regulars so I told him to wait on them first as we had all day and asked if he had a restroom we could use to wash our hands. He said sure, just open the office door. One thing he was serious about though and that was to not leave your packs by the door. There was a bench on the side of the building for hikers. As for his attitude, I wouldn't say it was overly friendly but as a Southerner most Northern accents don't seem overly friendly. Just my opinion.
    Actually, I personally believe in both the good and the bad being presented. I do not have a "personal vendetta" against this man at all. It is good to know that he can be civil to hikers ​at times.

Apparently I need to clarify my original post. If you want to hurt someone's business, you can do it on yelp, but obviously you should be the one experiencing the review. I'm a little annoyed that this wasn't obvious, rather making it looked like I was trying to start a revolt against some poor shmuck out there.

But, alas, the interwebs are a series of tubes, and some get narrower passage than others I guess.

After this thread and the talk of the great sandwiches, I got this place INKED-IN. I'll just pee in the woods before getting there.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by verasch View Post
    Apparently I need to clarify my original post. If you want to hurt someone's business, you can do it on yelp, but obviously you should be the one experiencing the review. I'm a little annoyed that this wasn't obvious, rather making it looked like I was trying to start a revolt against some poor shmuck out there.

"But, alas, the interwebs are a series of tubes, and some get narrower passage than others I guess".
    I put some quotes on that,hope you don't mind....that pretty good!

Thanks. Every now and then I say something while sober that actually makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by verasch View Post
    Thanks. Every now and then I say something while sober that actually makes sense.
    Me Too!...........
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-14-2012 at 23:17. Reason: to many zeros,to big

When I stopped by Joe's with a few others in '08, we were forwarned. Therefore, we followed the rules - left the packs outside on the hiker bench next to the building, bought a sandwich and drink and had no trouble. It was like the "Soup Nazi" episode on Sinfeld. I don't care how rude the guy can be, any place right on the trail that I can buy food at, I'm there

BTW, a couple of guys went down the street a little ways and found a bar open (this was maybe 10 AM on a Sunday!). They got thier water bottles filled there with no hassels. I guess after they spent a few hours drinking on a Sunday morning, the bar tender figured what the heck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default re: Latest Altercation with "Joe to Go"

Joe's was closed when I went through last May. I ate at Kevin's Steakhouse just down the street. The two waitresses were extremely nice and they maintain a hiker log. Got my water bottle filled easily. Could take my pack inside and set beside me on the floor. Got to use the men's room too. Highly recommend the French Onion soup for hikers as its salty and loaded with cheese. Only problem is Kevin's opens at 4 p.m. and food isn't available for about a half-hour as they all literally open the doors and start turning on equipment at 4.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by BigHodag View Post
    Joe's was closed when I went through last May. I ate at Kevin's Steakhouse just down the street. The two waitresses were extremely nice and they maintain a hiker log. Got my water bottle filled easily. Could take my pack inside and set beside me on the floor. Got to use the men's room too. Highly recommend the French Onion soup for hikers as its salty and loaded with cheese. Only problem is Kevin's opens at 4 p.m. and food isn't available for about a half-hour as they all literally open the doors and start turning on equipment at 4.
    Thanks so much for letting us know of an alternative! Sounds like night and day in terms of service!

Service?

There was a reason the Soup Nazi had a line a mile long......................THE FOOD.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

What a lot of hikers don't realize is that they are not always welcome.

My cousin is married to the niece of someone who had a business on the trail and, although is aunt loved hikers, he and his wife had to work there sometimes.
    They hated hikers. (not the owner, she loved them, as she was a lonely old lady and loved hearing their stories)
    Reasons: mostly they smell bad. Real bad.
    THey insist on keeping their smelly packs inside where they can see them, stinking up the whole place.
    They demand things. (like duct tape, alcohol wipes, chlorox, paper and pencil, just to name a few)
    And expect to be babied with attention.
    They rarely leave appropriate tips. (sometimes none)
    They blocked up the toilet from time to time and rarely reported it or cleaned up their mess. (OK maybe not rarely but, different than normal customers)

Not all of course, but, I think you catch my drift here.

I told him that he needs to go for a hike himself to see what is like.
    He said: "No way!" His mind was made up. He didn't like hikers and it would take a lot to change his mind.

Perhaps this Larry guy has similar thoughts.
    You can't blame him till you walk in his shoes (and clean a few toilets that hikers have blocked up)

anyway: any publicity is going to make others check it out.
    If you really hate the guy, don't go there.
    Sounds like there are other options available nearby.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++