WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Good one. How about this one but I'm gonna need some help, sung to the tune of the Jimi Hendrix song
    Hey Joe, where you goin' with that pack in your hand
    Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that pack in your hand
    I'm goin' down to boot me a thru-hiker
    you know I caught him messin' around in my can
    Last edited by atmilkman; 06-21-2012 at 08:10.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Good one. How about this one but I'm gonna need some help, sung to the tune of the Jimi Hendrix song
    Hey Joe, where you goin' with that pack in your hand dud a du,dud da du du-ty du du,du da du,da du da
    Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that pack in your hand
    or somthin like that,it's late,No?

Is it wrong to say that I hoped Joe was dead by now? We had a miserable encounter with him in 2008. How a person can possess so much vemon, I hope to never understand.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Since you asked I'll answer. Yes I would say that wishing someone was dead is wrong.

Larry (his real name, not Joe) is a grouchy old man who is set in his ways. It's not like he hates hikers, he just expects that they respect his wishes when they're in his place. I've been there twice and never had a problem with him. He was polite and made me great sandwiches both times.

I didn't bring my pack in as he asks. I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want dirty smelly packs in his place.
    I didn't ask to use the bathroom. That's actually against health department regulations since the bathroom is located behind the counter.

That being said I do understand he can go absolutely ballistic when people (not just hikers) cross him.
    His reputation is well know, hikers can choose to go somewhere else if they like.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

On my first hike in NJ in July, I was looking for the trail head, when I spotted his store. I had to check it out, It was time for coffee anyway. I went in, checked it out, got coffee and a decent Bacon-egg-and cheese. The old guy was pleasant enough. He had gallon jugs of water in the cooler FOR SALE, 5 people came in while I was there, all locals, no hikers.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    On my first hike in NJ in July, I was looking for the trail head, when I spotted his store. I had to check it out, It was time for coffee anyway. I went in, checked it out, got coffee and a decent Bacon-egg-and cheese. The old guy was pleasant enough. He had gallon jugs of water in the cooler FOR SALE, 5 people came in while I was there, all locals, no hikers.

So how was the food?

Given his reputation and the fact that he is still in business, I have to assume that he makes one heck of a sandwich.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-06-2012 at 22:57.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    So how was the food?

Given his reputation and the fact that he is still in business, I have to assume that he makes one heck of a sandwich.
    Or perhaps he doesn't have much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    Or perhaps he doesn't have much competition.
    Or, maybe he ain't quite as bad as they say. I think I'm going to buy a sandwich there, just to see if all of the hype is true. If it isn't, then I may strike up a conversation to see what "Joe" thinks of this online tar-and-feathers routine.

If he does try to open up a can on me, then I can handle it. I'm not a "12-year old girl with one arm in a cast, who has just escaped from an orphanage where they only served brussels sprouts, with three days left to live, and a tragically-weak bladder". This whole online smear campaign, where "Joe" doesn't have the chance to respond, doesn't sit right with me.

It is one thing to write a review that describes a bad experience at a business. That would be a good thing that helps people. It is something different to invest time in a long-term, aggressive effort to dissuade other people from doing business there.

Greg

As a hiker who's preparing for the AT, I like to know the good and the bad of what's ahead. It's called your "reputation." And good or bad, it's what you earn ​by the way you treat others.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Larry makes a great sandwich.
    There are other options nearby but you walk right past Joe to Go.
    The AT Guide doesn't even list Joe to Go.
    When I do that section again I'll stop by, it's too convenient not to. I'll just leave my pack outside on the bench.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Oh. Worthington's ! Great place. Closed Tuesdays, is what I really remember. All this whining about Joe's just sounds so pathetic. Walk by if you want to. The Pub next door is good but not open in the morning. If you want nasty go to the motel near there. He'll pick you up and take you back to the trail. A dump for sure, but good enough. The entitlement mentality rules the AT. Usually all the real whiners are gone before NJ. Also I've met Sunshine and Balls, I bet they were less upset than all the whiners on WB.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Also I've met Sunshine and Balls, I bet they were less upset than all the whiners on WB.
    Wanna-be AT thru-hikers tend to be the most vocal.

Note, I think there is a huge difference between Wanna-bes and Gonna-bes.

Gonna-bes plan, ask pertinent question, are enthusiastic and positive about their upcoming long hikes. Wanna-bes moan, complain and end up posting more than hiking and often vanish after their alleged start of their long hike.

Gonna-bes are cool and you root for them. If they have to cut their hike short early, it's all good. You know they'll be there out hiking again, possibly doing trail work and contributing positively to their community.

Wanna-bes? Much like ants at a picnic, you expect them, get annoyed with them but realize it is just a nuisance and not worth bothering about. Brush them off and grab that delicious sandwich that you bought from Joe's earlier.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I stopped in at this place on a June section hike this year. Some thrus sitting on the bench outside tipped me off to this guy's reputation. I went in and bought some drinks and a banana. I didn't have any issues with the dude. He seemed neither friendly nor snippy. Maybe he was in a "good" mood that day...maybe it's cause I'm 6'-5" and could potentially be perceived as intimidating...maybe the wind (and rain) was blowing the right way that day...who knows.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    So how was the food?

I bought two whole turkey subs, one I ate there for lunch, the other I had for dinner. They were great, packed full, but I was still hungry. Good thing I bought a few bags of M&M Peanuts for dessert.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Default Jesus...

Been there twice, he was great to me twice.

As I was there i saw an idiot hiker walk in SOAKED< stinking like ass with his dripping backpack, put that dirty wet thing on the floor, tromped mud straight to the counter (the old man was in the back) and started drumming his fingers on the counter.

'Joe' came out and told him to put his pack out side and remove his muddy shoes

"But its raining", says the candyass hiker who didnt respect the mans signs and wishes.

Too many crybabies, stay in the woods, if you break his rule, dont be a whiny ass female dog when he loses his cool, he has to deal with uppity needy self important hikers for months on end, and maybe if he treats you bad when you walk in, maybe he just dealt with 5 or 6 complete AHOLES that people all over the trail know about but who no one will say, "Hey, you guys are aholes, knock it off", so his anger may be based on profiling.

Seriously, if you see it as even a potential problem, if you dont wish to follow his simple instructions "NO packs, Water FOR SALE, Picnic table on side, please put gear there, etc...etc...etc..." then stay the hell away from there.

Simple, Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Been there twice, he was great to me twice.

As I was there i saw an idiot hiker walk in SOAKED< stinking like ass with his dripping backpack, put that dirty wet thing on the floor, tromped mud straight to the counter (the old man was in the back) and started drumming his fingers on the counter.

'Joe' came out and told him to put his pack out side and remove his muddy shoes

"But its raining", says the candyass hiker who didnt respect the mans signs and wishes.

Too many crybabies, stay in the woods, if you break his rule, dont be a whiny ass female dog when he loses his cool, he has to deal with uppity needy self important hikers for months on end, and maybe if he treats you bad when you walk in, maybe he just dealt with 5 or 6 complete AHOLES that people all over the trail know about but who no one will say, "Hey, you guys are aholes, knock it off", so his anger may be based on profiling.

Seriously, if you see it as even a potential problem, if you dont wish to follow his simple instructions "NO packs, Water FOR SALE, Picnic table on side, please put gear there, etc...etc...etc..." then stay the hell away from there.

Simple, Jesus...

Jesus was there?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Jesus was there?

The sandwiches were that good.

Jesus' second coming is really to get a capicola on a crusty roll with red-roasted peppers, provolone, red onion, fresh basil and doused with oil and vinegar.

That's the way I choose to remember it anyway...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The sandwiches were that good.

Jesus' second coming is really to get a capicola on a crusty roll with red-roasted peppers, provolone, red onion, fresh basil and doused with oil and vinegar.

That's the way I choose to remember it anyway...

From sunday service at the church of the holy prosciutto?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I like your post lion king.You need to give respect to get respect.And if you dont get it,dont go there anymore.Seems pretty simple to me.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Quote Originally Posted by VigilAuntie View Post
    Is it wrong to say that I hoped Joe was dead by now? We had a miserable encounter with him in 2008. How a person can possess so much vemon, I hope to never understand.
    This topic has been dead for quite a while. I suspect (with one post) that VigilAuntie is a troll just trying to stir the old WB pot. I think everyone should stop at Joe to Goes and find out for themselves instead of debating this endlessly.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++