WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Starting to get excited...

When I finished the AT in 2010 I decided to hike one "longish" trail a year. In 2011 I thrued the BMT. Now my 2012 Long Trail E2E hike is in a few weeks and I'm starting to get that feeling that you get when you have a nice long hike almost within reach....

Starting to lay my gear out, think about what I'm going to do different, etc.

I think I like getting ready to go on a multi-week hiking trip as much as I do actually hiking it.

Images

Have a safe trip and have fun. Stay hydrated.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

10K, I can relate. I head for Glacier NP for a 2 month stumble along the CDT in about a week. I *think* I've finally settled on the pack I'll bring and the selection of clothing and other stuff. Having a closet full of packs and other gear mades for some difficult choices

Have fun on the LT! The trail gets "interesting" north of the AT.

Speaking of gear choices, I need to throw a few things into my overnight bag and do another "warm up" hike later today. The weather here is great this weekend. Last weekend I started at 4 PM, which was a little late for the combination of trails I ended up taking. Hitting tree line as the sun set and still having 2 miles to go to get to shelter was a little crazy - but it was fun!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

You're going to love it! Be sure to stop by the Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury after the hike - great icing on the cake!

Going NoBo or SoBo?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    10K, I can relate. I head for Glacier NP for a 2 month stumble along the CDT in about a week. I *think* I've finally settled on the pack I'll bring and the selection of clothing and other stuff. Having a closet full of packs and other gear mades for some difficult choices

Have fun on the LT! The trail gets "interesting" north of the AT.

Speaking of gear choices, I need to throw a few things into my overnight bag and do another "warm up" hike later today. The weather here is great this weekend. Last weekend I started at 4 PM, which was a little late for the combination of trails I ended up taking. Hitting tree line as the sun set and still having 2 miles to go to get to shelter was a little crazy - but it was fun!
    Check with GNP re snow conditions. There could be trails closed or very difficult conditions..
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

10K- You glad to be out of the basement? Mutley going with?

I hear ya, played with my gear all evening..I'm just a dollar store trip away from being ready

The LT is a nice trail. I think you'll enjoy it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

A tight back has curtailed my training somewhat but plan on being back full force in a few days! Very excited about my trip as well, my first LT hike was one of my best experiences ever.

Great. Maybe we'll see you out there. My son and I will be hiking App Gap to Smuggler's Notch starting 6/25.

Images

10k i know that feeling. Im preparing for my own hike this august, im sectioning from katahdin to gorham. the boss has granted my request for a month off, and its the first time ill have been out for more than 2 weeks at once, so im pretty excited myself. my biggest challenge now is planning my meals for a month rather than a week or two. ive already climbed katahdin back in the 80s, and ive done grafton to gorham , so i know the terrain ill be hiking is fairly difficult, so im already in stage two of overplanning!!
    Have a great hike 10k!!

Getting the same feeling for my JMT hike which starts August 18. As usual I'm a little apprehensive about acclimation, more so for my hiking partner than me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    When I finished the AT in 2010 I decided to hike one "longish" trail a year. In 2011 I thrued the BMT. Now my 2012 Long Trail E2E hike is in a few weeks and I'm starting to get that feeling that you get when you have a nice long hike almost within reach....

I think I like getting ready to go on a multi-week hiking trip as much as I do actually hiking it.
    I'm jealous! I've got another year...maybe two...before my next long hike! Good luck and have fun! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

you will really like the LT - - north of Middleberry Ski bowl (nobo mile 135) about 30 miles past where the AT turns off, the trail changes - - the whole thing is pretty but it starts to gain an alpine feel - - sort of like parts of New Hampshire - - above tree line but green below - there is some bona-fide exciting hiking too - - lots bordering on easy rock climbing - - ladders - - the full treatment - it's great.

Images

I envy you... after a failed end-to-end attempt in June there is nothing more than I want to do than get back out there and correct all the mistakes I made and give it another go... good luck and enjoy!

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

SOBO Leaving late July, cant wait to meet yall on the trail.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Check with GNP re snow conditions. There could be trails closed or very difficult conditions..
    Because of the reservation system, he doesn't have much choice about checking with the NPS. :-)

One of my friends here, who works at the backcountry reservation desk at West Glacier reports having had a number of interesting discussions with CDT starters about their intended routes. There is indeed quite a bit of snow in spots, including in some of the campsites. Logan Pass is still under many feet of snow.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Fortunately I get this headrush every month. The best feeling is having everything I need for 20 days and taking that first step at the trailhead with a heavy pack.

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    I envy you... after a failed end-to-end attempt in June there is nothing more than I want to do than get back out there and correct all the mistakes I made and give it another go... good luck and enjoy!
    what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by posthardkyle View Post
    Hey man your 16, you have a lifetime of miles ahead of you. I hiked the LT as my first long distance hike when I was 18, I'm now 37 and doing it again. I've done a number of hikes and on some have come up short, but I keep hiking and keep experiencing the trail. Finishing a trail is not that important in my view, it's the experience that you have for life. So much of a hike is where your head is at...and sometimes it's easier than other times.

Every hike is a learning experience...but we only learn from the experiences we learn from. You will be back!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++