WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default bear cables in the Smokies?

Planning a hike in the Smokies. The Ranger at the Backcountry Reservation office said there were bear cables at all shelters and campsites. I know there are at the two shelters we will stay at that are on the AT. Does this sound correct for Laurel Gap Shelter and Campsite 37 at Walnut Bottoms?

Neither of these are on the actual AT. The shelter is a ways off, near Mt Sterling and 37 is SE of Cosby Shelter. Almost every campsite has cables
    Best bet---call the backcountry office and ask.

If they are there, use them. The bears are pentiful this year,

Quote Originally Posted by dlittle View Post
    Neither of these are on the actual AT. The shelter is a ways off, near Mt Sterling and 37 is SE of Cosby Shelter. Almost every campsite has cables
    Best bet---call the backcountry office and ask.

If they are there, use them. The bears are pentiful this year,

Well, since it was the backcountry ranger that told me there were cables at Laurel and 37, guess I'll take his word but still bring a line to throw. As for the bears, every time I hike this area I see bear warnings at the shelter, especially Cosby and Tricorner but never any bears. Hikers I meet along the way tell me, " bear at Cosby last night" or " two yearlings at Tricorner yesterday" but never a sighting. Doesn't mean they are not there, I just seem to have bear repellent built in. Still, will take care.

Journal Entries
    Images

fyi - When using the bear cables, DO NOT junt hang your bag onto the the hook on th ecables, tie the bag to the hook, the bears have started bouncing the cables in some areas to bounce off the food bags. Have a Great Hike!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    fyi - When using the bear cables, DO NOT junt hang your bag onto the the hook on th ecables, tie the bag to the hook, the bears have started bouncing the cables in some areas to bounce off the food bags. Have a Great Hike!
    Thanks, I will take your advice.

Any info on the cables and bears at Mt. Leconte, Ice Water, and Double Spring gap?????

Images

All the shelters have cables unless they have recently been damaged. Leconte usually has a bear lurking somewhere.
    Check the GSMNP web site for closing, but the reservation office will let you know about closings or warnings.

+1 on the previous post to clip your bag to the cable so it cannot be shaken off. I would strongly recommend to hang your entire pack, not just your food. If you take a heavy plastic garbage bag cut a small hole in the bottom then place it over your bag with the open end facing down. Then run the haul loop of your pack through the small hole in the garbage bag and clip it to the cable. This will keep rain off the pack and small critters that try to leap onto the bag will slide off.

++ New Posts ++