WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Sawyer Permethrin Being safe when applying

After a really bad night down at the shore, I finally had enough of mosquitoes - and as they really do harbor disease and basically make us moody.... I bought a bottle. I read the directions and have seen many questionable posts about these products. I am sharing what I found out.

IT says CAUTION!

Before you start
    So here goes... get some disposable gloves and a face mask the one with the little valve in the front. When they say do not breath the mist or vapors - they are not kidding. Someone talked about doing this in a garage... no its done on a sunny day with light or no wind to avoid drift. You will need a small disposable wipe at the end of the bottle to smooth out the drops.

The bottle says it will do two sets of hiking clothes and 1 hammock... or tent. You treat the areas that are going to come in contact with skin on the outside. There is no point in doing the foot box of a hammock. Elbows on a long sleeve fall shirt should be done. Lay out the clothes in the sun and the hammock on a large table...spread it out and weight it down before starting.

The stuff smells like Orthene if you can smell it stop & walk away you are in the vapor. It comes out in a light white mist and is sprayed on the outside of clothing. It drys in 15 minutes. There's no color change, to clothing. Watch the mist for wind drift direction, always spray downwind. Do all the areas and stop - you wait 15-30 minutes and flip the clothing and adjust the bottom of the hammock. Hit it again go for a smooth coverage. If you get it on your skin stop and wash it off with a garden hose. It tingles the nerves after it drys on skin... you want to wash up after the application. Use up the bottle - as you get to the end add a little water or the air will change the product to large white drops - thats what the disposable towel is for. smooth it out. Dispose it properly. Won't have to do it again for a few years.

Hope that helps.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Most important question....Does it really keep the bugs off of you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Most important question....Does it really keep the bugs off of you?
    No, it's not a repellent, but it kills those that land on the treated fabric. I think it's especially effective for ticks -- they die crawling up long pants. Shirts that mosquitoes can bite through are fairly mosquito proof after treating. You still need to treat uncovered skin with DEET.

Yesterday's experience: long pants, long sleeved shirt and caped hat treated with permethrin, untreated headnet in my pocket and no DEET.
    The black flies seem not to like to enter an enclosed space (cap pulled down low over forehead plus cape) and they were flying slower than I was walking, so no problem walking down hill. At the low point of my walk there were a lot of mosquitos and this strategy did not work on them as well. Walking more slowly back uphill, it was time for the headnet. Today I think I'll put the headnet on a lot earlier.

Another solution is to buy the 10% or 37% concentrate from a feed or ranch store, dilute it appropriately to 0.1%, soak your clothing in the solution, wring out and hang to dry. A pint of the concentrate just cost me a little over $6 (far less than the sprays), and will last a very long time. I made sure to buy a concentrate without other active ingredients. Treating one set of clothing with the diluted concentrate costs only a few cents.

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    Another solution is to buy the 10% or 37% concentrate from a feed or ranch store, dilute it appropriately to 0.1%, soak your clothing in the solution, wring out and hang to dry. A pint of the concentrate just cost me a little over $6 (far less than the sprays), and will last a very long time. I made sure to buy a concentrate without other active ingredients. Treating one set of clothing with the diluted concentrate costs only a few cents.
    How much of the concentrate would u use for a gallon of water? What is it call at the feed store? and Is it the same stuff? I mean do you know for sure there are no extra side effects?

I'm not commenting on your chemistry. I am only commenting on the "wring out" part. Do not wring out the clothing. Just let em fully dry. Wringing them out will only lessen the amount of permethrin in the clothing.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

I used that type of permethrin, and I had problems with the sprayer. I couldn't get even coverage and ended up wasting a lot. I love permethrin, but I don't recommend that.
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

How much of the concentrate would u use for a gallon of water? What is it call at the feed store? and Is it the same stuff? I mean do you know for sure there are no extra side effects?
    Restricted use products are still sold at those concentrates at Tractor supply places. Farmers should have a solid knowledge of how to use pesticides. I took a look in our pest shed storage unit and all the products were mixed with "enhansing" materials or cocktail. And my Manager said not to do what you are advocating, and talked me out of it.... Just buy the bottle and follow the directions. You do not need a higher concentration.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    I used that type of permethrin, and I had problems with the sprayer. I couldn't get even coverage and ended up wasting a lot. I love permethrin, but I don't recommend that.
    I understand the even coverage part - but it worked just fine - I got two "layers" on all sides.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Restricted use products are still sold at those concentrates at Tractor supply places. Farmers should have a solid knowledge of how to use pesticides. I took a look in our pest shed storage unit and all the products were mixed with "enhansing" materials or cocktail. And my Manager said not to do what you are advocating, and talked me out of it.... Just buy the bottle and follow the directions. You do not need a higher concentration.
    I sorta figuired that. Perm is not that expensive.

6.4oz of 10% concentrate to 1gal of water gives you .5% mixture.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Thanks for the calculation Milkman

if your using a disposable mask, don't use a "dust mask" you need the next one "up" for vapors.

AndyB
    doesn't trust disposable masks

Journal Entries
    Images

Agreed - I resorted to hyperventilating and holding my breath while standing up wind.... (Big Grin)

Success- by now I would be covered in bites. not one got me!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-17-2012 at 01:35. Reason: added point

Woo

Please keep in mind that cats and fish are very sensitive to permethrin. Be sure to treat fabrics outside and don't bring them in until they are dry. Once dry it is still a good idea to keep them seperate from other clothes and blankets that your cat might like to sleep on.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    6.4oz of 10% concentrate to 1gal of water gives you .5% mixture.
    To be 100% accurate, 6.4 oz of 10% to a total volume of 1 gal give you an 0.5% solution. If you add 1 gal of water, you will be 6.4 oz over the total volume so add to a total volume of 1 gal, or add 1 gal of water less 6.4 oz. On the other hand, I don't expect that the tiny difference would make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    To be 100% accurate, 6.4 oz of 10% to a total volume of 1 gal give you an 0.5% solution. If you add 1 gal of water, you will be 6.4 oz over the total volume so add to a total volume of 1 gal, or add 1 gal of water less 6.4 oz. On the other hand, I don't expect that the tiny difference would make any difference.
    Nah, it ain't gonna make that big a difference. I got this mixture from Rainman, and I just make it 7oz. even like he does that way you know you got it covered and your below military protocol but a little stronger than commercial stuff. What I do is mix it up in a 5gal. bucket, plunge the item in, hang it above the bucket till it quits dripping then lay it out flat on a table. Put a lid on the bucket then it's ready to go next time. This stuff definitely works.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 06-17-2012 at 11:36.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well don't get it wrong too much will make your skin itch - you might not break out, but it will be uncomfortable... I don't think the bucket method is necessary.

And the cat & fish statement is true while the product is wet, not dry. The cat would have to be exposed to a large qty like drinking antifreeze. What they are saying is don't dump the excess down the drain.

Woo

The answer is yes. I sprayed it on my shirt, trousers, gaiters, socks, and hat. Ran into yellow jackets at a shelter. They would stand off about 6 inches from me like they were trying to land but wouldn't. This happened with other flying pests on the trail. I did not have 1 bite on me on my section hike!

The day after I sprayed my clothing, I wore the shirt. Although I could not smell the chemical after it was dry (order less), it was making me nauseous. The next day I wore the pants and the same thing happened. SinInwatched them on delicate/gentle cycle and hung them up to dry. A day later, I wore the shirt- did not feel nauseous. Then the pants the next day- did not feel nauseous. I then packed them for the trail and was fully protected. It was amazing! They are good up to 6-8 washes! Was totally pleased!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I prefer the bug bites to blind science experiments with extreme toxins on my clothing, however I can live near some of the worst sections of the AT for ticks, black flies and mosquitoes so I can certainly understand those who do not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++