WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I live in an area that is infested with ticks, salt water skeeters and deer flies. I treat all my hammocks and hiking clothes and the stuf does work.

After treating I hang my stuff outside to dry and while there is a slight odor at first, I do not smell it after a few days.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I can tell you this stuff works very well. I have been using it on mine and my sons clothes we wear to summer camp for the past 3 years. We literally never get tick or mosquito bites anymore. I don't like havin to put chemicals on my clothes, but it sure beats lime disease or west nile.

Journal Entries
    Images

good point Adfischer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

How well does this work on clothing that's waterproof/water resistant. I have a pair of REI shorts that are water resistant (water beads up on it when wet). Does the Permethrin soak in to this type of product or just bead up?
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Journal Entries
    Images

All good questions as water resistant clothes are Hydrophilic and are by design a open weave of plastic fibers. We know that they hang on to odorous body oil so it should be no problem (oil based repellants) - I have a few peices of Hydrostatic clothes ( raincoat) where it beads up - but have allready exausted the product so I cannot test it for you.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Sawyer Permethrin Being safe when applying

Well, I will test it soon and report back. I have the product, but wanted to ask before I tried it. If nobody else has experience with this, I'll be the guinea pig.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Won't have to do it again for a few years.
    The package says not to apply more than every 42 days. It will not last an entire season. Gear that I treated in March needed a second treatment later in June. If it is an item that is washed (or sweated in) frequently, the treatment does not last the full 42 days from my experience.

Journal Entries
    Images

While I don't disagree - it is a strong repellant - it works and I treated two sets of polyester clothing and a hammock for $20. The Hammock won't be washed and to be honest I treated the bottom. So its going to last three seasons if applied in spring... the clothes - not so much - We have discovered that many members here don't even travel with soap or jump into water unless necessary... Soap is a four lettered word. So I don't see the issue that you are taking.... Its like saying BMW get 35mpg and you get disappointing because you do a 100 mph and get 2o mpg.... but spent $20 on gas.... you are treating two pants and two shirts- or one pair twice - I don't see your problem other than being thrifty!

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

OK here is interesting point... IF you sweat and the polypro shirt gets wet - some of the stuff is getting into the pores in the back - last night it was hot and I was leaning back on the chair rest - no bites but in the morning you could see where the rest was from a mild light itchy rash. If I was hiking that would not happen but compressing the material allows the dried product to get to the skin. (Remember it sprayed and dried on the outside only)

Woo

I will be hiking the AT section through the GSMNP in a couple weeks. Should I treat my clothing with Permathrin, or is it unnecessary in that area?

Journal Entries
    Images

Its the worst year on record for mosquito and deer ticks - people are getting sick locally with West Nile and Lyme.

West Nile leads to kidney Disease later in life.

I think its a good idea.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Any product made by the makers of the Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) has to be safe and beyond reproach.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Any product made by the makers of the Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF) has to be safe and beyond reproach.
    If the SILWF has a one million gallon guarantee, then why does Permethrin only work for 8 to 10 washes? It appears that they are using the impeccable SILWF reputation to swindle us on chemicals!

Journal Entries
    Images

Ugh OK don't drink from the Sawyer Sprayer....

Woo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++