WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Staying in a constant motion,i.e. daily exercise coupled with common sense eating habits increases the hormone levels as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Yes, staying active is a major factor in staying healthy, but people don't want to do that, hence my remark: "It's another example of science saving us from ourselves"
    That stance seems philosophical. Science doesn't need to be deified. Science is merely human discovery and current understanding. It's human discovery in terms of knowledge and wisdom that can help us. It's what JohnnyBGood was saying. Human discovery lets us know and wisdom gets us to follow through to apply what we know.

I think you're selling humanity short. People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated. BUT how about focusing more on getting more people motivated without having to take a magic motivating pill to experience these benefits through knowledge and wisdom? Lots of ways to motivate people to exercise and make healthier dietary choices. After all it was you in another thread that stated we are already a culture too accustomed to the mentality that a magic pill will solve our problems and account for questionable lifestyle choices/behavior? I think on that same thread you mentioned people needing to take greater personal responsibility too which doesn't seem to jive with the notion we can just pop pills to change/fix the consequences of our behavior or to motivate us. Although, a magic motivating pill could be another tool used on a short term basis in extreme life threatening cases to get people conditioned to getting fit. And, I see the tone the article was taking with mentioning gastric band bypasses. etc.

But, there already is a magic leaf that motivates people to move and exercise - it's called coca - which IS NOT to be confused with the use of the illicit street use of cocaine! The Bolivian and Peruvian cultures use it to great effectiveness in this manner when they chew it. How about caffeine also? And, caffeine does not equal coffee! You can have the potential benefits of caffeine without drinking coffee! Caffeine comes in pill, food, and other drink forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That stance seems philosophical. Science doesn't need to be deified. Science is merely human discovery and current understanding. It's human discovery in terms of knowledge and wisdom that can help us. It's what JohnnyBGood was saying. Human discovery lets us know and wisdom gets us to follow through to apply what we know.

I think you're selling humanity short. People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated. BUT how about focusing more on getting more people motivated without having to take a magic motivating pill to experience these benefits through knowledge and wisdom? Lots of ways to motivate people to exercise and make healthier dietary choices. After all it was you in another thread that stated we are already a culture too accustomed to the mentality that a magic pill will solve our problems and account for questionable lifestyle choices/behavior? I think on that same thread you mentioned people needing to take greater personal responsibility too which doesn't seem to jive with the notion we can just pop pills to change/fix the consequences of our behavior or to motivate us. Although, a magic motivating pill could be another tool used on a short term basis in extreme life threatening cases to get people conditioned to getting fit. And, I see the tone the article was taking with mentioning gastric band bypasses. etc.

But, there already is a magic leaf that motivates people to move and exercise - it's called coca - which IS NOT to be confused with the use of the illicit street use of cocaine! The Bolivian and Peruvian cultures use it to great effectiveness in this manner when they chew it. How about caffeine also? And, caffeine does not equal coffee! You can have the potential benefits of caffeine without drinking coffee! Caffeine comes in pill, food, and other drink forms.
    I'm not deifying science. You seem to take a lot of things a little too seriously. And yes, I agree science is merely human discovery and current understanding.

I'm not selling humanity short, rather I'm selling some individuals short. You say, "People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated." On one hand you're correct, I'm properly motivated by looking at old people and how pathetic they become in old age, that's not for me and that motivates me to be healthy, which takes work, I mean a lot of work. You can't just eat right and do some exercise. However, for some nothing seems to motivate them. It's as if they need to be a victim. Just look around.

I'm not promoting popping a pill, I just find various endeavors in science interesting and shared it. Really the examples you gave are not much different than popping a pill, but if that works for you, so be it. Me, I just want to be healthy as I age and not be one of the hikers that complain about knee pain or whatever. When you are fit hiking is so much more enjoyable.

I'm not deifying science. You seem to take a lot of things a little too seriously. And yes, I agree science is merely human discovery and current understanding.

I'm not selling humanity short, rather I'm selling some individuals short. You say, "People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated." On one hand you're correct, I'm properly motivated by looking at old people and how pathetic they become in old age, that's not for me and that motivates me to be healthy, which takes work, I mean a lot of work. You can't just eat right and do some exercise. However, for some nothing seems to motivate them. It's as if they need to be a victim. Just look around.

I'm not promoting popping a pill, I just find various endeavors in science interesting and shared it. Really the examples you gave are not much different than popping a pill, but if that works for you, so be it. Me, I just want to be healthy as I age and not be one of the hikers that complain about knee pain or whatever. When you are fit hiking is so much more enjoyable.
    I go to the gym everyday after I get off work. Some days I just don't feel like going. I discovered that a cup of coffee was enough to motivate me. So that's what I do if I need it. I can't say that the coffee is all that good for me but if itgets me to the gym then it can't be all bad. I may be one of those pathetic old guys but at least I'm a healthy pathetic old guy A pill? I'm not so sure I would do that.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I get ya PF. Staying fit or pursuing healthiness isn't solely dependent on whether I'm hiking or not. Hiking is just one thing that assists in fitness and health. Staying fit and being as healthy as I know how is a lifestyle decision that isn't turned on or off by whether or not I'm hiking. In this sense you're question simply becomes, what do you do to stay fit. Many posters just went into great detail about how they get and stay fit on a recent thread.

One thing I do a little different in terns of fitness when not long distance hiking is that I lower my daily caloric intake and percentage of fat cals in that total daily caloric intake.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I go to the gym everyday after I get off work. Some days I just don't feel like going. I discovered that a cup of coffee was enough to motivate me. So that's what I do if I need it. I can't say that the coffee is all that good for me but if itgets me to the gym then it can't be all bad. I may be one of those pathetic old guys but at least I'm a healthy pathetic old guy A pill? I'm not so sure I would do that.
    Nothing wrong with that. When I say I'm motivtated by the fear of being dependent and somewhat immobile as I age, that's not to say I think of that everytime I force myself to workout; it's only the "big picture" motivation. I employ several tactics to get me to workout, including coffee.

I know I must sound like a bubbly exercise freak, sort of like Richard Simmons on the computer screen. However, the reality is quite different. I struggle a lot with working out, it's a constant struggle, I'm far from being a gym rat.

Personally, I do think it is an inconvience, but ain't my rules, it's mother nature's rules and she doesn't allow us, especially us old folks the luxury of sitting on our laurels just because we've done X-amount of physical activity or just broke a personal record -- mother nature has no retirement plan, she just keeps crackin' the whip. It's really not much different than a rat on one of them exercise wheels.

It's so easy to stop after you get somewhat fit, it happens all the time to people. I believe a big part of this is because despite feeling great when you're in shape, you still get use to that feeling, so you become somewhat immune to that great feeling and when that happens it's so easy to not motivate yourself in to working out. And the more time that passes the tougher it is to get back on the horse.

Nothing wrong with that. When I say I'm motivtated by the fear of being dependent and somewhat immobile as I age, that's not to say I think of that everytime I force myself to workout; it's only the "big picture" motivation. I employ several tactics to get me to workout, including coffee.

I know I must sound like a bubbly exercise freak, sort of like Richard Simmons on the computer screen. However, the reality is quite different. I struggle a lot with working out, it's a constant struggle, I'm far from being a gym rat.

Personally, I do think it is an inconvience, but ain't my rules, it's mother nature's rules and she doesn't allow us, especially us old folks the luxury of sitting on our laurels just because we've done X-amount of physical activity or just broke a personal record -- mother nature has no retirement plan, she just keeps crackin' the whip. It's really not much different than a rat on one of them exercise wheels.

It's so easy to stop after you get somewhat fit, it happens all the time to people. I believe a big part of this is because despite feeling great when you're in shape, you still get use to that feeling, so you become somewhat immune to that great feeling and when that happens it's so easy to not motivate yourself in to working out. And the more time that passes the tougher it is to get back on the horse.
    All true....
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Staying fit between hikes is probably a good motivator for many, however, for me it's more about staying fit as I age. It's one thing to see the pain of old people struggling just to walk down the street, but I've seen the effects first hand, it ain't for me. This guy is supposedly 73, if true, he's in damn good shape. Kind of makes you want to get old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2MAaAY_YPE

I started a strength training program (Starting Strength) a year ago. I can squat a little more than my bodyweight now. Seeing the progress on the barbells is motivation and the hills are starting to feel really easy. All this without a lot of slogging it out running or bicycle commuting. I love it!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Another new year is just around the corner. Are you still battling the bulge? Are you still finding yourself not physically prepared for your next hike? Are you feeling the effects of ageing and would like to reverse it?

Stop looking for a pill or some magical program and just do it; it's pathetically simple, only tough part is getting that ball rolling...

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...160900106.html

I know of some pills that motivate you to take more pills.

I don't maintain hike-ready fitness between hikes, and don't try to. I take 4-mile walks about every other day, swim 1/2 mile and use strength machines maybe twice a week, and generally stay active gardening, hauling (and splitting firewood as needed), shoveling snow, walking up and down stairs, and so on. No TV, no fitness pills. I eat a healthy diet, get enough sleep, etc., etc. I know that when I hit the trail as a section hiker, I need to start slow, and I know I'll be really tired the second day. After a while, I'm fine. I won't break any speed or endurance records, but I'll enjoy my hiking.

you can't really stay fit between hikes.

Watching Michelle warm up and beat the rest of the field easily gets me motivated to stay fit every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7oX1yCFU0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SLvZ2AVL0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3eF-HFBxM She was in the 2013 SI Swimsuit Edition too. I'm doing it all for Michelle. I'm thinking of becoming a hurdler now. Seriously, I post pics of fit people all over my house as motivation to stay fit.

IF I start the self pity lazy excuse laden BS here's another who gets me motivated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyongVwBw2E GET OVER JUDGING HIM FOR THE ACCENT, DATED FLAT TOP, POLITICS, MOVIES, and the stupid CONSENTUAL shart he did with the maid. He's an accomplished individual! NO PILL NEEDED!

Training for a late winter/early spring marathon the last two years has kept me motivated in the winter months and kept my cardio system in top shape. This isn't a complete replacement for hiking nor does it use all of the muscle groups used in hiking but at least I won't be gasping for air all the time in the spring when I resume backpacking. I've also mixed in some local trail running at times when road running gets too monotonous. At 40, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.

In my trail journal I carry on every hike I paste pics of the hike along the way and at the finish line in it. I look at those pics everyday during the hike. I remember WHY I'm backpacking. I write in that journal my experiences, what I'm learning, how I'm improving, what I'm appreciating, and, most importantly, how I'm contributing, routinely. Keeps me happily focused yet flowing with the journey. Do the same things about where I want to hike(trails) and WHY? I regularly cross hikes off the list letting me FEEL the forward progress I'm making not only as a long distance hiker but in LIFE as a person.

I'm not saying that I (or anyone) can maintain fitness to the point of being 100% hike-ready, such as the hiking condition one might find themselves in at the end of say a 2-month hike.

I've noticed over time that when you bring up the issue of using one activity to improve another activity, such as running to improve cyling; cycling to improve running; weightlifting to improve hiking...or any combination... That there are those advocates of a give activity (in this case hiking) that say the same thing as the advocates of another activity. And that is: "The only thing to improve hiking is to hike" Hiking for any one of the other activities.

But that is missing the point. To some degree they are correct, if you're preparing for a race, say in running, then the best thing you can do is put in the miles, run, run, run. However, I'm not saying anything about competition, so if all you do is whatever, Hike, Bike, Run, Weightlifting, Rowing... You are hurting yourself in the long run.

Keeping the body healthy in the long-run requires variety; it requires a good diet that is varied and a fitness routine that is varied.

There is no pill, no diet, no one activity to maintain a healthy body. Speaking of pills, if you like taking multivitamins you may want to reconsider http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...62693876479358

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    P90X Baby!! It's not a fluke, it really works. Almost every exercise program will work very well, but the key is YOU HAVE TO DO IT.
    Indeed! I've done P90X, P90X2, just started P90X3 today. I love the programs. I have also done TurboFire and ChaLean Extreme. But you are right...you have to stick with any program to get results.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    You don't NEED to stay fit between hikes just as long as the "in between" period is short enough... so... just keep hiking!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    You can stay fit.
    Between cardio and weights, I have never had any issues adjusting to hiking.
    I probably start off in better shape than many people ever achieve.

Admittedly, Im not in as good as I will get hiking 10 hrs per day though. 10hrs of cardio a day is hard to duplicate unless you have the time.

But after a couple of days, Im usually in high gear.
    Carrying a sub 20 lb pack helps too, of course.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-17-2013 at 22:51.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++