WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Roan Mountain + 4th of July = EPIC? HELP!

I would like to see fireworks from a spot on the Roan Mountain section between Carvers Gap and 19E. So here are my questions:
    1) What spot on that section would be best suited for 4th of july fireworks? (which bald would have the best 360 degree view OF A FIREWORKS SHOW OF MANY SURROUNDING TOWNS)
    2) What day (Fri night or Sat night) do you think most people (or all) will be shooting off fireworks since july 4th is on a wedseday this year.
    3) Is camping on the balds against the rules?
    Here is how I picture it: Super clear skies, set camp up on one of the balds (or night nike from a shelter), and be able to see fireworks for as far as the eye can see. Firework shows from surrounding cities and towns for up to 93 miles away. 360 degrees around you.

I am looking for advice from people that know what they are talking about not just a hunch. If you have personally seen this from anywhere on the trail your insight is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I would like to see fireworks from a spot on the Roan Mountain section between Carvers Gap and 19E. So here are my questions:
    1) What spot on that section would be best suited for 4th of july fireworks? (which bald would have the best 360 degree view OF A FIREWORKS SHOW OF MANY SURROUNDING TOWNS)
    2) What day (Fri night or Sat night) do you think most people (or all) will be shooting off fireworks since july 4th is on a wedseday this year.
    3) Is camping on the balds against the rules?
    Here is how I picture it: Super clear skies, set camp up on one of the balds (or night nike from a shelter), and be able to see fireworks for as far as the eye can see. Firework shows from surrounding cities and towns for up to 93 miles away. 360 degrees around you.

I am looking for advice from people that know what they are talking about not just a hunch. If you have personally seen this from anywhere on the trail your insight is much appreciated!
    oh lets see, i was just thru that section in april, to me Hump Mnt or Little Hump would be the best
    maybe just S. of Dolls Flats, possibly the valley down from Overmountain, but not sure how big that town is.
    -

Don't bother. I've tried to watch fireworks from mountain tops and yes, you can see them, but unless they are very, very close, they are just little blips of light, way off in the distance. And if it is at all hazzy (and good chance it will be), it will be even worse. Visability will only be a few miles at best.

Before you go up there *just* to see the fireworks, I'd check out which towns actually will be having them and how far away they are from the Roan Mt. There aren't many towns around there and those which are are small and hidden in the valleys, behind ridges.

As for camping on the balds, it generally isn't a good idea. You'll know why if a thunderstorm pops up sometime during the night...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know the Konnarock crew sat up for the fireworks on Little Hump, and night walked back to the barn. But you can camp at the Bradley Gap site or somewhere back to the barn. Grassy Ridge might be the best panoramic view. http://konnarockcrew.blogspot.com/20...tching-up.html

I believe Boone, Blowing Rock, and Linville fireworks can be seen from Roan. Fireworks are illegal in Avery and Watauga county. But they are legal in Carter county the week of the 4th. Locals shoot their fireworks throughout the week. But I have seen more locals shoot on the weekends.

You might have a better chance catching the Erwin fireworks from Beauty Spot or Big Bald.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

TN Viking- Thanks for that info it is very helpful, I was able to track down some photos on the konnarockcrew that were helpful, in at least bringing to life what I see in my head! I have got to try and see it for myself!

Grassy Ridge just north of Carver's Gap has a great 360 view, but I agree that the summer haze will probably knock down the visibility.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Forgot to mention the Baa-tany Project goats will be on the balds by the end of June. Goats+fireworks...FUN TIMES
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++