WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I've been going thru old and current BPer Gear Guides and have noticed that not only have externals pretty much disappeared from the catalogs and shelves, but almost all internals have no pockets, and instead are designed to be a duffel bag on your back. I like to be organized when it comes to the myriad amount of things that are in my pack, so pockets are an advantage for me. One big sack on my back and all I can picture is that I have to go inside the main compartment just to find anything. A pack with at least a pocket on each side would make it so much easier to find things, especially when it ids dark outside.
    Are here any good 4-5 day internals with pockets still for sale these days? Or am I gonna have to settle for an older model?
    Yeah, I wonder too if much of this new gear is just made to appeal to people who want to look like backpackers and not for people who want to do the AT or other long trails.

Jansport has a retroversion of their D series pack if you like orange--but it is a 'real' pack.

Externals do usually weigh more empty but excel in carrying heavy and bulky loads comfortably. The real question now is: do I need to carry a 'comfortable when heavy pack' when my new gear is so light and compact? Yes, pockets are nice, but my walking style with my lighter pack has change so that I really don't unload most stuff until I make camp, so having one big bag is not as bad as it once might have been. My old Jansport is now my bug out bag and weighs in at about fifty pounds with enough gear and supplies to take care of me in style for about a week and form the basis for an emergency extended stay away from home should the need arise.

My REI Ridgeway is a good compromise as it has an aluminum frame around the perimeter that works very well to transfer weight to my hips without the bulk and weight of a full external frame.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Yeah, I wonder too if much of this new gear is just made to appeal to people who want to look like backpackers and not for people who want to do the AT or other long trails.
    more of a "real" backpacker than you'll ever be..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    I'm probably the only person on WB that prefers an external-frame pack, but it works for me! Also, it's only about $110.
    Make that two. I have a World Famous Everest that was given to me about 12 years ago. I think it's from the early 80's. It is heavy at 4 lb 2 oz. I was given an Osprey Talon 44, but I just don't like the big bag theory. It seems whatever I want next is always on the bottom.

I also have a SVEA 123 stove and wear combat boots.

Journal Entries
    Images

jakedatc, your post #22 makes you sound like a pompous jerkwad
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

And saying that modern designed packs are for wannabe backpackers is...... ?

ps those pics are not of me... they are of 2 triple crown ++++ backpackers who do more miles in a year than most of us will do ever.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    And saying that modern designed packs are for wannabe backpackers is......

ps those pics are not of me... they are of 2 triple crown ++++ backpackers who do more miles in a year than most of us will do ever.

Well, I should not have posted that #24. White Blaze should not be a place for name calling (my apologies) or bickering with strangers! Man, how weird is that. I don't think greyfox was targeting you or attempting to single you out. But it sounded like you were speaking back directly to him with your post #22. Maybe you know him personally.

But pack weight and internal vs. external and UL vs. traditional always gets so nuts on WB. It's like politics or religion.

Icybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If I remember right,Colin Fletcher use to call this type of pack "A Bloody Great Sack" ,and preferred this type over others,and used a couple smaller sacks tied to the sides.I to have a cavernous kelty bloody great sack,works for me,but is not my dream pack,or the lightest you'll find,at 4lb. 4oz./4300 ci,it's a little on the what I'd call the heavy side,and when you stand just right you can speak into the opening and say hello,hello hello hello
    CF was a fan of pockets. His main compartment was undivided, unlike many at the time. Now you can hardly get the add-on pockets that used to be everywhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    CF was a fan of pockets. His main compartment was undivided, unlike many at the time. Now you can hardly get the add-on pockets that used to be everywhere.
    Now I wonder if some of the cottage companies would take a special order for a light weight Dyneema material pack with pockets and external frame,or if morally,that would be pooh pooed?You could get a 5lb 8 oz trad exter pack,down to 4lb 4oz.

I just feel on this site there is such and animosity towards people who want to hike with lighter, more modern gear. It's like if you aren't carrying 30+ lbs then you can't possibly know what you are doing or are suffering for it. And that you couldn't possibly do a long trail with that type of equipment. cept Lint is going to be a double triple crown with like 6-8lb baseweight. not to mention countless people who are not well known that do it every year.

i do think external packs have a place but it i think they excel at odd shaped or bulky loads. the AMC hut crews use them to haul supplies to the hut and trash out. they also seem really good for bear canisters.

RS here ya go.. though i don't think Ti goat makes it any more.. 40oz Carbon frame, carbon frame sheet, 85L capacity, 60+lbs.

this guy made his own fully modular pack. not sure the weight but i'd less in the 1lb range

RS here ya go.. though i don't think Ti goat makes it any more.. 40oz Carbon frame, carbon frame sheet, 85L capacity, 60+lbs.

this guy made his own fully modular pack. not sure the weight but i'd less in the 1lb range
    I like that little one.I could put it around my ankles and use it to carry my own kindling.

or a pack gerbil to carry your alcohol stove.

Images

I just feel on this site there is such and animosity towards people who want to hike with lighter, more modern gear. It's like if you aren't carrying 30+ lbs then you can't possibly know what you are doing or are suffering for it. And that you couldn't possibly do a long trail with that type of equipment. cept Lint is going to be a double triple crown with like 6-8lb baseweight. not to mention countless people who are not well known that do it every year.

i do think external packs have a place but it i think they excel at odd shaped or bulky loads. the AMC hut crews use them to haul supplies to the hut and trash out. they also seem really good for bear canisters.
    i think its due to a lack of experience, in addtion to most people being resistant to change. i still pack a swiss army knife, although i rarely pull it out, have been using a single edge razor blade, but the knife is still a security blanket, still need to have it.you're right, i met a guy in the pemi a few years ago that was doing the bonds, but from his pack, you'd think he was looking to settle somewhere in alsakan backcountry, external pack, had to weigh upwards of 50lbs. i dont know what he felt he had to have in that pack for a 3 day loop, but i was glad he had an extra 2 liter bottle of water!!
    you live, you carry, you learn.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    You're looking in the wrong places.

Luxurylite has had an external frame pack for a while
    Zpacks has two external frame packs
    KIUI has an awesome heavy loader hunting external frame pack
    Mystery Ranch has their NICE packs

All the cottage industry pack makers typically make their packs with two side pockets and a big kangaroo pocket. Gossamer Gear, Zpacks and ULA are the big ones.

Granite Gear, REI, Golite and Osprey have light packs with several pockets.

Mchale will make whatever you want. ZimmerBuilt will do custom as well, but he might not be able to go as heavy duty as Mchale.

I have two ultralight packs, and the external pockets are big enough for me to keep almost everything I need for the day in the outside pockets. The only thing I dig into the main compartment for is my filter, and also rain gear if the weather suddenly shifts.
    What are your 2 packs?

Default External Frames

Alpenlite.

The cadillac of externals.

I will never ever use an internal. Everything is easily accessible.

Alpenlite let your hips shoulder the load.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    What are your 2 packs?
    ULA Catalyst and Alter Ego Assault X2. Both have side pockets big enough to hold 1.8L Gatorade bottles, plus umbrella, tent stakes and window film groundsheet. Kangaroo pocket holds all food for the day including hand sanitizer, light, gps & maps, and sometimes toiletries.

The only thing I kind of miss is a top pocket, ie, brain. That's only because I wish to run compression straps tightly across the front pocket. Only food would go in the top pocket. Gossamer Gear kind of has the pockets I want, except I'll need them to be roomier on the outside but tight on the inside layer of fabric so I can get great compression while having quick and easy access to my food.

My next pack will almost certainly be custom made to address my specific desires.

Journal Entries

Pockets are heavy
    A single large compartment lets you put everything inside a single plastic liner to keep waterproof.

Whats in my pack:
    main compartment- plastic liner, sleeping bag, clothes bag. These things are water proof. Then the food bag and cook kit go in. Food is in waterproof liner, and cook kit doesnt matter.

Thats all in the inside.

outside rear main pocket = shelter, raingear, stakes, groundsheet
    outside side pockets - 2x1L water bottles
    hip belt pockets - aquamira, first aid, sunscreen/bug dope, handsanitizer/soap, compass/map, headlight, dermasafe knife, etc. Everything in ziplocks so waterproof

nothing else needed, dont need any more pockets.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

See my problem with using stuff sacks is that when stopping for the night or packing up in the before dawn light, unless the headlamp is a good illumination, a navy blue sack will look like a black sack. A grey sack will look like a dirty white sack. Why go to all that trouble and time and cost of getting different colored sacks to stay organized when I
    can just have a pack with external pockets.

QUOTE=rocketsocks;1301339]Now I wonder if some of the cottage companies would take a special order for a light weight Dyneema material pack with pockets and external frame,or if morally,that would be pooh pooed?You could get a 5lb 8 oz trad exter pack,down to 4lb 4oz.[/QUOTE] Many old externals were in the 4 lb range. This was before padded hip belts came in, of course.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    QUOTE=rocketsocks;1301339]Now I wonder if some of the cottage companies would take a special order for a light weight Dyneema material pack with pockets and external frame,or if morally,that would be pooh pooed?You could get a 5lb 8 oz trad exter pack,down to 4lb 4oz.
    Many old externals were in the 4 lb range. This was before padded hip belts came in, of course.[/QUOTE]I no longer have my old externals,they weren't anything great or a name brand I can remember,one was green and had a yellow ecology symbol on the tie-down over flap,the others were kinda non descript,and I have no idea what they weighed,really Bill,I was just trying to be provacitive....a jerk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++