WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Senior division record?

Currently, I am in the process of re-hiking the AT. My thru hike was long ago - almost seems like it was in another life. FYI, currently, I am re-hiking the trail in long sections (100 miles plus each trip). I am already contemplating another thru-hike -- I would do it in about 5 years when I will be 50. Does anyone know what the fastest hike for someone 50 or older is? Right now, I hold down 20+ mile days very easily. I'm planning on hiking 220 miles next week in about 10 days - - in NH! I think when I'm 50, I can do the trail in less than 85 days - I simply love the challenge of waking at 4:30 am and hiking all day long - would this be any sort of record? - - in the world of speed thru hikes is there a senior division? I'm not sure that I care that much, but if I'm going to do the whole trail again, it would be kind of cool to have a goal like this. For some crazy unexplained reason, I'm getting faster- - hiking at 3 miles per hour is fun - - maybe it's the coffee.

It's got to be the coffee. Couldn't possibly be the thousands of miles you've hiked already.

Dam Drew, you go man 3 miles an hour sustained is huge, it may just be the coffee, don't stop drinking it.Ya know, I would have know idea about that record, but why not make a senior category, I be curious to see that as well. It's one thing for a young person to come there with some serious numbers, quit another for an older person to do it. I've heard you speak before about the times you are doing, good luck with that, I'd say if anyone can, it might as well be you, Go Papa Go Papa!

Is 50 senior? That's only 11 years away. Ain't no way I'm almost senior. I'm barely mature enough to an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Is 50 senior? That's only 11 years away. Ain't no way I'm almost senior. I'm barely mature enough to an adult.
    In my mind I'm a very mature 23 year old-maybe 22.But I know maturity when I see it.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-03-2012 at 23:50.

We have a senior division ?
    Please tell me we don't
    I got into hiking because there a certain innate and intimate anarchy to it and the last thing I want to see are all the random jacks be put into neat little boxes

Did a SOBO winter hike when I was 51.
    Was supported however.
    I think it was around 120 days: Oct 14 start, Feb 13 finish.

Of course, I don't think 50 is senior. 70 maybe.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    I'm only 2 1/2 years away and I'm still not mature enough to be an adult. I figure, by the calendar I'm 47, but I act 17. split the difference and it puts me right around 32. I can deal with that. Senior shmenior!

Senior is only good if you get a discount! Otherwise it sucks! If coffee does it then I want more coffee or I'll have what he's having!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Currently, I am in the process of re-hiking the AT. My thru hike was long ago - almost seems like it was in another life. FYI, currently, I am re-hiking the trail in long sections (100 miles plus each trip). I am already contemplating another thru-hike -- I would do it in about 5 years when I will be 50. Does anyone know what the fastest hike for someone 50 or older is? Right now, I hold down 20+ mile days very easily. I'm planning on hiking 220 miles next week in about 10 days - - in NH! I think when I'm 50, I can do the trail in less than 85 days - I simply love the challenge of waking at 4:30 am and hiking all day long - would this be any sort of record? - - in the world of speed thru hikes is there a senior division? I'm not sure that I care that much, but if I'm going to do the whole trail again, it would be kind of cool to have a goal like this. For some crazy unexplained reason, I'm getting faster- - hiking at 3 miles per hour is fun - - maybe it's the coffee.
    Do it! Throw it out there and see what happens. I just finished my final section hike 5 days before my 49th birthday and I seem to keep getting stronger as a hiker. Not sure I could avg 25 mpd on a thru.

It's great knowing there are other people out there who like to hit it from sunup to sundown.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you go for it count on me for support from Hot Springs to 19E...

Down here in Florida, 50 doesn't qualify as old. I was literally called a young whippersnapper at that age. Even now at 61, there are still very few discounts available. Biggest downside of being a graybeard on the trail is being called Sir!

I think I got my first AARP junk mail when I turned 50. I use them for fire starters while dancing and singing my "I'm not getting old" denial ceremony. I have a living with end of life instructions for my children. It says that if they ever find me watching Lawrence Welk re-runs that euthanasia is allowed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Senior Devision? come on now. If you want a senior devision start at 75 years old. 50 is far from being considered old.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

nothing wrong with getting old, or as i like to think of it, gaining experience.
    its growing up that s***s.
    PapaD it cant be the thousands of miles youve hiked, has to be the coffee, and dont even think about red bull.

My usual response to these threads is that the ATC has no records on speed or age or distance. I may have to to revisit that as they now seem to go with anything that will get them facebook hits.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Go for it, D. You are the fastest, nimblest hiker I've been out on trail with. You can do it if you decide you want to. I'm with 10-K. Will be happy to support you from the Hudson River to Stratton Mountain, or better yet, 11/30, when the time comes.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Go for it, D. You are the fastest, nimblest hiker I've been out on trail with. You can do it if you decide you want to. I'm with 10-K. Will be happy to support you from the Hudson River to Stratton Mountain, or better yet, 11/30, when the time comes.
    heck yeah,I might could help through NJ, with support.

Images

ill help you get through ny

Journal Entries
    Images

Lmoao......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++