Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
I guess sleeping in the woods does take some getting used to. The only trouble I have is reseting my bio-clock. I tend to be a night owl, staying up to all hours at night. This can be a problem on a short one or two night trip. I have to lay there for hours before my normal sleep time comes around. Then have to get up well before I'd like to. The amazing thing is, even if I don't get a lot of sleep (or just think I didn't), just laying down for 10 hours is enough to replenish the body.
This was somewhat true for me. I turned in at about 10, read a lot - Outside magazine and map - and, though I couldn't sleep, just got as close to sleep as I could, well relaxed. I needed the 2.5 hours of actual sleep I did get, but I consoled myself that the non-sleep rest I got also was restorative. It worked out OK, since I hiked a total of 12.4 miles with about 4100' elevation gain and loss, mostly on the rough and rocky western trails of Mt. Washington, and I was ready to go again Monday, had I not had to work. But I always prefer a good, sound night's sleep when I can get it.

Sounds like a good pad is in order, and I do believe for night 1 a pound or so of turkey wouldn't hurt. I may be headed up again for a couple nights this weekend to the Whites. If not this weekend, soon, so I will take the helpful thoughts everyone has shared here to heart and put them to work.

Thank you!