WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    keep in mind alcohol is a timulant, and although it may help you fall asleep, it may be difficult to stay asleep.
    always thought that alcolhol was a depressant not a timulant

Images

Timulant.it timulates.(

Images

+2 on melatonin. You can buy it in the vitamin section of the drug store. ...but the tylenol pm helps with the aches also, so I'd try that too.

Images

Ethanol is a central nervous system depressant and has significant psychoactive effects in sublethal doses; for specifics, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#Drug_effects

Alcohol is sometimes referred to as a stimulant due to the common effect of some people becoming aggressive under its influence. The aggression, though, as I understand it, is due to the alcohol's depressing the function of parts of the brain which institute social restraints.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

+1 - My wife and I both use these and they are great. Especially, if you remember to invert the flannel inside to the outside. I tend to start sweating wherever a part of my body touches plastic at night.

I too have a really hard time sleeping on the trail. Mostly for me it is pain in my legs do mostly to not sleeping in my normal position. At home I'm a belly/side sleeper but on the trail I typically have to sleep on my side in the cooler months (to get a bump from dear wife in the bag next to me). When I do belly/side sleep on the trail, I sleep much better. Not sure what you're preferred posture is but that might help.

My wife and I have also found it helps to elevate our feet. With our z-rests, we put one extra fold at the foot end (we have 3/4 pads) or we put our packs at the end and rest our feet up on those. This has made a big difference for us. Also, vitamin I can help squelch the aches and pains long enough to fall asleep. ymmv

Try some relaxation techniques; breathing or maybe a cup of camomille tea. Some people take a benadryl, but I enjoy a glass of red wine. Good Luck.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can't fall to sleep when we hike. I'll be hiking Springer to Neels Gap on the 4th July alone so i dont know how thats going to workout, but will see. lol,Lots of walking and little sleep!!!!HS

I take 50mg of the generic benadryl and 20 mg of melatonin, every nite. sometimes, if its been a hard day, I'll take aspirin too.

You know, I've thought about this thread on several occasions when seeing it pop back up to current status. I think of several occasions when I was many miles away from anything civil, including people. I've really been fortunate to not have had serious problems arise from being so remote at times and that maybe I shouldn't sleep as good as I do most of the time. It might be good to worry just a bit more. Maybe not.

Images

Try 3 mg of mellatonin. It is the natural substance that allows the body to fall asleep. Take it thirty minutes before you lay down. No hangover in the morning. It is over the counter, and can be found at places that carry natural remedies, such as GNC.
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I can't fall to sleep when we hike. I'll be hiking Springer to Neels Gap on the 4th July alone so i dont know how thats going to workout, but will see. lol,Lots of walking and little sleep!!!!HS
    Good luck, hs. Hope you sleep soundly and have a great hike.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Going pad and pillow made all the difference for me. Even more so.. The pillow. The exped pillow doesn't feel like a soccer ball and never takes off. Also, at home I sometimes use melatonin with success. In the woods It always ends up in the bear bag before I realize I need it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Better life through chemicals...
    carry hooch (scotch, whiskey, tequila), tylenol PM works wonders, stay hydrated, we are at the top of the food chain, dont worry about critters or bears.
    I am concerned as you are advocating alcohol with Tylenol, because of reports that acetaminophen in quantity or long term use causes liver injury. I have often wondered when watching the movie "Fugitive" that they were portraying Acetaminophen. Later some information or rumor was spread that this product kills more people than alcohol. When someone tells me they use Tylenol Pm to help them sleep. The facts are about 26,000 people a year are hospitalized from adverse reactions to the drug. And that almost 500 people annually in the US alone die from it! Please do not consider Tylenol PM a sleep medication.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    keep in mind alcohol is a timulant, and although it may help you fall asleep, it may be difficult to stay asleep.
    The answer to the question is simple. Despite objections, majority of studies point out that alcohol is a depressant. Ethanol, the main alcohol component found in wines, beer, liquors, and other alcoholic beverages, is classified as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant – a substance that can slow down brain activity. In fact, alcohol is considered the most widely used and the most widely abused depressant. Its desired effect – relaxation or the calming down of nerves and anxiety – can be experienced when used responsibly. When abused, drinking may contribute to depression, alcoholism and other mental disorders and physical diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Melatonin 1 or 2 mg . Melatonin was what a doctor recommend for me to use for my sleep problems since prescription sleep aids were having some unpleasant side affects. Try this, ask your doctor first, like anything else. More miles and longer trips always works good too. It's all about gettingyour bio clock set to trail time
    Good post, Here is what works for me (I feel I have answered this before) but my answer is changing this year... In the past I have abused alcohol to get to sleep- You know you are in trouble if you need alcohol to get to sleep and caffeine to get up. One can tell from my old late night ranting posts. Here is what I know from my experience....

1. Earplugs and blinders are least effective methods for sleep. Do not sleep near noisy other people.
    2. Using a reminder alarm to get a regular pattern at night and waking is important.
    3. Comfort is key. music can reduce stress.
    4. A small night cap may help but warm Nido, Melatonin, Benadryl, Gabatrol would be better.
    5. On bad nights I use a old memory of "Flight of the Navigator" and think about flying - knocks me out everytime.

Gabatrol can help you sleep better. When you reduce stress and anxiety, its easier for your mind to let go and drift into deep, restful sleep. Plus its a safe, healthy alternative.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am concerned as you are advocating alcohol with Tylenol, because of reports that acetaminophen in quantity or long term use causes liver injury. I have often wondered when watching the movie "Fugitive" that they were portraying Acetaminophen. Later some information or rumor was spread that this product kills more people than alcohol. When someone tells me they use Tylenol Pm to help them sleep. The facts are about 26,000 people a year are hospitalized from adverse reactions to the drug. And that almost 500 people annually in the US alone die from it! Please do not consider Tylenol PM a sleep medication.

The answer to the question is simple. Despite objections, majority of studies point out that alcohol is a depressant. Ethanol, the main alcohol component found in wines, beer, liquors, and other alcoholic beverages, is classified as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant – a substance that can slow down brain activity. In fact, alcohol is considered the most widely used and the most widely abused depressant. Its desired effect – relaxation or the calming down of nerves and anxiety – can be experienced when used responsibly. When abused, drinking may contribute to depression, alcoholism and other mental disorders and physical diseases.

Good post, Here is what works for me (I feel I have answered this before) but my answer is changing this year... In the past I have abused alcohol to get to sleep- You know you are in trouble if you need alcohol to get to sleep and caffeine to get up. One can tell from my old late night ranting posts. Here is what I know from my experience....

1. Earplugs and blinders are least effective methods for sleep. Do not sleep near noisy other people.
    2. Using a reminder alarm to get a regular pattern at night and waking is important.
    3. Comfort is key. music can reduce stress.
    4. A small night cap may help but warm Nido, Melatonin, Benadryl, Gabatrol would be better.
    5. On bad nights I use a old memory of "Flight of the Navigator" and think about flying - knocks me out everytime.

Gabatrol can help you sleep better. When you reduce stress and anxiety, its easier for your mind to let go and drift into deep, restful sleep. Plus its a safe, healthy alternative.

WOO, there is one sure fire way to relax and fall asleep on the trail:

Sorry, I couldn't resist....
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Gabatrol? First I've ever heard of it. What sort of thing is it?

Journal Entries
    Images

Driver 8 its based on compounds similar to chocolate.

Sarcasm - did you upload those? what a funny find on WB I have never seen that before and this one in WB Misc too.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Driver 8 its based on compounds similar to chocolate.

Sarcasm - did you upload those? what a funny find on WB I have never seen that before and this one in WB Misc too.
    They are just photos I found on the internet, but I did upload them on to WB. For some reason I can't figure out how to load full size photos into threads, so I have to upload them into my gallery and then link the thumbnails from there...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Thanks, Owl. I enjoy the owl photos.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sarcasm when you click on the photo box then URL unclick on this:
    Retrieve remote file and reference locally

Woo

Images

Sarcasm when you click on the photo box then URL unclick on this:
    Retrieve remote file and reference locally
    Testing:

Testing:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++