WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Eno

Default Eno

Hey guys I was wondering if my ENO doublenest and ENO hammock tarp would e a good beginner setup for hiking part of the Benton Mackaye Trail

Default Eno

Hey guys I was wondering if my ENO doublenest and ENO hammock tarp would e a good beginner setup for hiking part of the Benton Mackaye Trail

Journal Entries

May want a pad but, yes. And a sleeping bag of course.

You should be good! As long as you're comfortable. Just be prepared for all kinds of weather in your hammock. I

Images

Just don't use the eno slap straps, they streach and you will find yourself on the ground. Get some polyester tree straps instead. I just came back inside from hanging in mine for an afternoon hammock study session (taking a nap)

You should also get a Underquilt for the hammock, one the temps get below 70 at night you will find yourself with CBS or Cold But Syndrome. If you have a decent sleep bag you can use it as a topquilt. Trying to use a sleeping as a sleepling bag in a hammock is not worth the trouble of trying to get in and out of it.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Just don't use the eno slap straps, they streach and you will find yourself on the ground. Get some polyester tree straps instead.
    So Gunner, where can you buy polyester tree straps ? Also to the OP ; don't forget the Eno bug net .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Eno bug net for sale right here.
    Shouldn't really need it though. Any climbing outfitters will have the nylon webbing but some hardware stores also use it to bundle wood shipments so if there are any construction site around you can maybe get some freebies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340585735.715097.jpg

This is what I used for my hike

All the info is greatly appreciated guys thanks

Images

where can you buy polyester tree straps ?
    Couple of places are strapworks or http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm. Check Hammockforums for more vendors
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

Images

Yes it would work. You need to add an UQ, TQ and possibly a bug net.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

www.neusioktrail.org

Images

I've heard only good things about those two pieces, but only bad things about the "Slap Straps". Investigate alternate suspensions as the nylon straps stretch overnight, especially if allowed to get wet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, good set up. don't try to sleep in a head bug net,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Section Hiking: 4.5% complete TheBirdman's Avatar

Personally, I've never used a bug net in about 6 years of hammock camping, and the worst bug encounter I've had was with a moth attacking my headlamp. You might grab the blue sleeping pad from Walmart instead of forking out the big bucks for an underquilt. What time of year are you going? You could get by with a sleeping bag as a topquilt during summer if that's all you have. And check out http://www.hammockforums.net, there's TONS of good info on setups there.

AT 2012

absolutely fine set up for a beginner. you should keep this first trip simple and cheap -- as birdman suggests, a foam pad is fine for now, and so is any old sleeping bag. Practice at home -- it really helps to set the hammock up so that it is level or the foot end is a tiny bit higher, and try to get the straps or hanging rope to be at about a 30 degree angle. If it is cool enough at night so you can be covered with your sleeping bag the bugs probably won't be an issue... and it isn't the end of the world to sleep in a headnet, really! Set your tarp close to your hammock if rain threatens, or higher if not. Consider spraying the hammock with permethrin if bugs are a concern. It can be fun to learn how to hammock well -- with all sorts of refinements in your future as you get better at it. You seem nicely set for that first trip.
    Lazarus

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    absolutely fine set up for a beginner. you should keep this first trip simple and cheap -- as birdman suggests, a foam pad is fine for now, and so is any old sleeping bag. Practice at home -- it really helps to set the hammock up so that it is level or the foot end is a tiny bit higher, and try to get the straps or hanging rope to be at about a 30 degree angle. If it is cool enough at night so you can be covered with your sleeping bag the bugs probably won't be an issue... and it isn't the end of the world to sleep in a headnet, really! Set your tarp close to your hammock if rain threatens, or higher if not. Consider spraying the hammock with permethrin if bugs are a concern. It can be fun to learn how to hammock well -- with all sorts of refinements in your future as you get better at it. You seem nicely set for that first trip.
    You know what would make hammocking more fun?

A sherpa to carry all the stuff required to do it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

BTW, not to hijack the thread but I took my WBBB out for an overnighter Saturday night. No rain in the forecast so I left the tarp and just took the hammock and a lightweight down summer bag for a quilt.

Slept good.

i now have a 25 degree polar pod from rei, i like it so far but i have not tried it out outside but its a mummy so i may just use this in conjunction with a blue foam sleeping pad

Quote Originally Posted by chip2012 View Post
    Eno bug net for sale right here.
    Shouldn't really need it though. Any climbing outfitters will have the nylon webbing but some hardware stores also use it to bundle wood shipments so if there are any construction site around you can maybe get some freebies.
    hey chip you mind messaging me about the bug net

++ New Posts ++