WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best AT Side Trips?

I really want to take my time on the trail. I know this isn't for everyone due to time/financial concerns, but I want to experience a few things off the trail.

I am considering the Alpine Village of Helen, GA; Gettysburg, Hershey Park, NYC, and Natural Bridge.

In your opinion, what are the best sites to visit that are near the trail?
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 06-22-2012 at 19:56.

Journal Entries

Helen,ga is a tourist trap. Like a little dutch/ German village. Lots of Christmas shops and bikers.

NYC is the best side trip from the trail. its great to take the train from the trail into Grand Central.

I saved my big city tours until the end of my hike. Using Youth Hostels (for those of us that like that style), I hit Boston, New York and Washington DC by train on the way home.
    After six months on the trail it was an amazing trip to hit the busy sidewalks and play tourist to sightseeing spots and museums. I had a constant sh*** eating grin (as we say in the south) on my face as I watched people bustle on their way in such a hurry.

Between the fast pace of the cities and the slow chill on the trains, it was a good was to decompress before returning to concrete and asphalt.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hersheypark is awesome if you're into roller coasters. Would never have thought to do it as an AT side trip but it's a great way to spend the day. Make sure you hit the Chocolate World on your way in and out! If you do decide to go it's only 30-45 min from from Duncannon or Swatara Gap.

There's also DC and Baltimore which you can get to easily from Harpers Ferry. I love the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Gulf Hagas in the 100 mile. Near a stand of old growth White Pine, about 80 miles from Baxter Peak. Well worth the venture.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    In your opinion, what are the best sites to visit that are near the trail?
    The summer concert series at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass. is a good bet. Beautiful venue and first-rate acts. Pretty easy to get a shuttle there anywhere from Salisbury, CT to Williamstown/North Adams, MA, I'd think. There's a Norman Rockwell Museum in or near Stockbridge, MA, too, close to the AT crossing of the MassPike and also close to Tanglewood. A side trip to Burlington, VT would be nice, and tarrying a day or two in Hanover, NH would be fun.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Also, I've only passed through Charlottesville, VA, as well, and Asheville, NC, but I hear they're great towns, too. And a trip to the Gettysburg battlefield in PA would be neat. A bit further afield, but Philadelphia has many amazing historical sites, from the Benjamin Franklin birthplace to Independence and Constitution Halls to the Valley Forge site out in the suburbs.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Helen sucks. I live here and never go there. Hershey sucks unless you like theme parks. Gettysburg is great; but the cheap AYH hostel that I stayed at is gone. Washington DC is good; there was a good Irish pub in the suburb. And I was lucky enough to catch a concert at Tanglewood; walked from the trail to a fruit stand and while I there saw that there was a concert that night and took a city bus there. And don't miss Gulf Hagas.

There are tons and tons of natural things, like Mt. Rogers, Creeper trail, Pinnacle, Luray caverns, Great falls (Potomic), Mammoth Cave, Gulf Hagas, etc.
    Or touristy type attractions, like Wash. DC, NYC, Grand Ole Oprey, Nashville, West Point, Dorney park, the Martin Guitar factory, Harley Davidson factory in York, PA, Gettysburg, Cabelas outside of Port Clinton, Gatlinburg (Dollywood is nearby, Camp David (they won't let you in anyway), but..................

Maybe when you are finished, you should take the long way home and hit some of these places. (try to catch 3 Dollar Dewey's in Portland Maine while you're eating your congratulatory lobsta!).

Trying to do a thru-hike AND see everything possible along the way is too much IMO.
    Heck, you could spend a week in both DC AND NYC and still only touch some of the possibilities.

My brother came all the way to Thailand and tried to see it all in a week.
    I've been here 10 years and haven't seen half of it yet.

But I'd definitely hit New Orleans on your way across the country from AZ for your start.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

WIA, I already mentioned this in PM but figured I'd throw it out here as well for others. For the history fans, the Trail also passes within 10 miles (looks like 8-10 depending on what points you measure from) of the Antietam National Military Park (aka battlefield) in Sharpsburg MD. It's a well preserved battlefield with plenty of markers about for interpretive purposes. The visitor's center is excellent and well located, with a good view of a goodly portion of the battlefield. Along with ranger led tours (I don't know specifics on schedules), there are local guides who can be hired for more personal tours if one has the $$ to spend. Not really horribly expensive though, but of course that's relative to one's budget.

If you don't want to get too far away from the Trail, it also passes right over South Mountain and through the park associated with, which was the site of a fairly substantial fight in its own right.

Also, regarding Gettysburg, I'll add for those looking toward 2013, that is the sesquicentennial of the battle, so it will be more crowded than normal (and normal is substantial) during tourist heavy times, most especially on and immediately surrounding July 1-3. If you don't like crowds, it's food for thought.

Consider taking a couple of days in Staunton, Virginia, which is west of Waynesboro, which is west of Rockfish Gap. The Blackfriars Theater is there and if you have the bucks, you can stay at the historic Stonewall Jackson Hotel. I saw The Tempest there last summer, in preview, and it was excellent. Who knew that Shakespeare and The Supremes would go so well together? I look forward to revisiting Staunton next year when I finally get to thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    ...if you have the bucks, you can stay at the historic Stonewall Jackson Hotel.
    I didn't know there was a Stonewall Hotel, but I did visit the Stonewall Shrine http://www.nps.gov/frsp/js.htm (his deathbed), but that's a little too far for an AT sidetrip, best done on a cycling trip

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    but I did visit the Stonewall Shrine http://www.nps.gov/frsp/js.htm (his deathbed),
    I went in '08. Very moving to stand in the same room, with the same furniture, where such a great man died, and ponder.

this is'nt really off trail well it kinda is how about the Chocalate Factories in Vermont, i go to gulf hagas every time i go thru it is a must see place.

Just about the time you've had enough of Pennsylvania, you can take a day and go visit the Yuengling brewery. That's near the top of my list.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Just about the time you've had enough of Pennsylvania, you can take a day and go visit the Yuengling brewery. That's near the top of my list.
    I like how you think!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    this is'nt really off trail well it kinda is how about the Chocalate Factories in Vermont, i go to gulf hagas every time i go thru it is a must see place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    I love history and chocolate. In spite of college, I just never acquired the taste of beer. (Ironic, as my only sibling worked like 20 yrs at Coors as a Supervisor in Quality Control with Microbiology.) Red Dog, here is a story you may like: About 10 yrs ago, I won an advertising contest for Red Dog Beer - and I didn't even drink beer. It involved the little quips written under the bottle caps. My sibling who worked for Coors was not happy that I had entered an advertising contest for a rival brewery!! LOL. Hey, that alone was better than the prize money!

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    ...never acquired the taste of beer...Coors
    Problem explained.

Yeah, I've never acquired a taste for Coors, either...
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++