WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hike in shorts rain or shine, but in the evenings when I'm tired and the summer temps go into the 40s, I find zipping on the bottom of the convertibles is good for a little warmth. The extra weight is minimal.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

So I am torn, I am going to be using a 40 rated Under Quilt but can decide on a 40 or a 50 Rated quilt. I will have my convertible pants with bottoms and or micro weight smart wool long johns. IPO's am I going to be pushing the limits with a 50 bag or would it suffice. I will also be wearing a long sleep micro weight long sleeve T, have a wind shirt and rain jacket for added warm if necessary. Their is apx. a 3.5 ounce difference between the 50 and 40 rated bags I have.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Hi, 10-K, and good luck with your hike. For what it's worth, I section-hiked the AT in Vermont a few years ago. I chose mid-August for the hike because I thought I had the best chance of having good weather. Boy, was I wrong. I got a first week of nothing but rain. Vermont became Vermud. In New England, weather is not very predictable, especially the past few years.

somewhat predictable actually

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/climo/BT...s/precip.shtml

i traded some rain for bugs willingly

Images

10-K - I'm hiking about 80 miles NB from Seth Warner shelter starting on 8/14, so maybe we'll pass each other at some point. Are you hiking with your dog?
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I always hike in long pants in New England. If it's not the bugs, it's the brush. When I start out on the LT next week, I'll also have a light wieght pair of long johns and a long sleeve thermal top, cuz around here ya just never know what will happen next. Plus those will let me get away with a lighter, possably marginal on some nights sleeping bag.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++